Cadets 2017

Its a fair question to ask... one that nobody knows. Lots of amateur youth sports, despite practically little to no changes the last 50 years, have grown... both in tv exposure, teams, participants, attendance, fan base, etc. I realize that Drum Corps is not totally like amateur sports. But there are many similarities too.

Some of the biggest music acts, at the largest arenas, biggest audiences, etc are musical groups playing the exact same songs they did 20,30,40,... 50 years ago, ..only to a newer, younger generation that is unfamilar with them. I'm not saying Drum Corps should be like 20- 50 years ago here. I'm only responding that some things are valued, despite not changing at all. Van Gogh, Emily Dickinson, etc have centuries of unchanged works valued MORE today by younger, newer generations, than even many of the works of Art and Literature of today in many cases. Classic Cars, Classic Antiques, Classic Furniture, etc... valued today more than 50 years ago... by younger, newer clientele, not particularly embued with the " mod " look of today. What Music are Corps playing in DCI today ? All new ? think again. Compositions written years ago.... again, mostly Music compositions unchanged too. Symphony Orchestra's still tend to look the same to me... same instrumentations... same seatings by the performers... same dress.... etc.. not much changed in 50 years years here, for the most part either. Drum Corps, by contrast, has " changed " more than any activity one could possibly think of, imo. Yet, we are reminded daily on how " change happens "... as if somebody, somewhere thinks Drum Corps is still like the Beachboys of the 1962 & 2016, or Jimmy Buffett of 1972, 2016, Stones of 1966, 2016,.etc and dozens of other musicians, groups, etc.. the list goes on and on..... mostly unchanged from 25- 50 years ago, but larger in appeal now with audiences than even 25- 50 years ago, despite being almost completely devoid of any changes at all during these last 25- 50 years.. Just sayin'.

If I look at the cultural landscape of today I see more diversity than ever. For every person--and I know them--who wants to only here heavy metal music of the 70's and 80's, there's another who only listens to 2016 hip-hip.

But, there is a huge group in between that loves variety. Our cultural landscape allows for that.

I go to Broadway shows. In the same season that I saw Hamilton, I saw a revival of She Loves Me, a musical from 1963. In the same season that I saw the brand new play about African women called Eclipsed, I saw Long Days Journey Into Night.

I feel the same way about drum corps this season. I love the variety. There was classic stuff out there, new stuff, and everything in between.

• Like 6

So in other words, Cadets need to be like everyone else, and everyone needs to do the same thing. Got it.

Sorry, but none of us knows whether or not many fans of drum corps are bothered by the way Cadets and the other mentioned corps stand at retreat. If that bothers them then they seriously have some major sensitivity issues. And if they are TRULY fans, they would do their history and learn as to why these corps stand at retreat the way they do. Everyone has different ways of doing things and I think the way BD stands at retreat should be respected just as much as I think Cadets should. That it rubs you the wrong way is unfortunate, but doesn't mean they should change because some people get a little sensitive.

I'd suggest some reading comprehension skills because no where did I suggest that these were my personal feelings. I don't appreciate being accused of something that simply is not true. These were just my anecdotal thoughts and experiences. I agree with your overall point.

Edited by Cappybara

If I look at the cultural landscape of today I see more diversity than ever. For every person--and I know them--who wants to only here heavy metal music of the 70's and 80's, there's another who only listens to 2016 hip-hip.

But, there is a huge group in between that loves variety. Our cultural landscape allows for that.

I go to Broadway shows. In the same season that I saw Hamilton, I saw a revival of She Loves Me, a musical from 1963. In the same season that I saw the brand new play about African women called Eclipsed, I saw Long Days Journey Into Night.

I feel the same way about drum corps this season. I love the variety. There was classic stuff out there, new stuff, and everything in between.

One of the great things about Drum Corps is that there has always been great diversity of styles, music, uniforms, etc. ( from 27th, to Freelancers, to VK, to BAC, to Cavs, to Star, to Bridgemen, to Madison, to Glassmen, to Madison, SCV, to Guardsmen, to Les Chatelaines, to Kilties, to Phantom, to Muchachos, BD, etc). Drum Corps has always had diversity, and with all due respect to the 2016 Bluecoats, such diversity of styles, music, uniforms, etc will continue long into the future, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Again a narcissistic answer rather than looking at the common and total good.

If I do only what is right for me, there may not be other corps left with whom to compete.

The G7 was all about banding together for the common good. Unfortunately ego's prevented it from taking a single step forward.

• Like 2

One of the great things about Drum Corps is that there has always been great diversity of styles, music, uniforms, etc. ( from 27th, to Freelancers, to VK, to BAC, to Cavs, to Star, to Bridgemen, to Madison, to Glassmen, to Madison, SCV, to Guardsmen, to Les Chatelaines, to Kilties, to Phantom, to Muchachos, BD, etc). Drum Corps has always had diversity, and with all due respect to the 2016 Bluecoats, such diversity of styles, music, uniforms, etc will continue long into the future, imo.

Thank you for pointing out that there was and is diversity. Not all followed the same path, even BITD

Edited by GUARDLING

You should use your high-powered insight to read what your posts sound like to others on this forum. I'm sure you have the best of intentions but you're having trouble communicating in a manner that respects others posters' opinions.

if I were judging your posts like a marching arts activity, focus and transitions would need work. How you go from point A to B baffles me and I have been reading and assessing essays, dissertations, and statements for many decades.

No where in this thread (supposedly about Cadets 2017) did I or anyone suggest, dictate, or stipulate that no one would not be allowed to wear what Bluecoats or any other corps wore. What my feelings are strong about is that Cadets need to return to their traditional uniforms for the corps proper. There is no reason why the 2016 show could not have included those uniforms, in fact it might have made the presentation less boring in parts, lighter and more distinctive in other parts.

If the corps comes up with some fabulously different show design as they did in 1982, as Star did in 1993, as Bloo did this season, then that is a different discussion.

But now they don't even have a design team except for the CEO.

Your post(s) react to authority issues which I am not sure are pertinent to a fabric discussion. although there is much discussion about power and authority at Cadets and whether that ultimately is holding the corps back.

I do fear the further imposition of WGI's approach and standards on DCI. I point to the "pre-shows" all corps seem to do. In WGI, every guard "dances/flops around/mimics) for the first few minutes before picking up weapons and flags. Today the visual designers are vomiting back that same approach into BOA, USBands, and DCI. What was once not judged has now become compulsory in practice as WGI has it in legislation. Almost all corps prance around for a minute to taped music before picking up instruments or guard equipment. The vesture/costume/uniform thing is the same. Rather than variety we are running from one standard (military) to copycat thinking about another (formless casual.) I for one thought it was a better era of the activity when Cadets wore West Point, Troopers wore 11th Calvary, Kilties wore plaid, Phantom woreRegiment, and Santa Clara stood out with their Aussies.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 5

You should use your high-powered insight to read what your posts sound like to others on this forum. I'm sure you have the best of intentions but you're having trouble communicating in a manner that respects others posters' opinions.

Which is so NOT Cadet like !

Not saying in this case ( others can decide ) I have found when people stoop to insults it's usually because they know they are losing the argument. Just sayin

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

not sure how serious you are BUT I do see a return to the traditional colors ,( somewhat ) BUT not even close to the traditional look. Time will tell

I am absolutely serious.

I'd suggest some reading comprehension skills because no where did I suggest that these were my personal feelings. I don't appreciate being accused of something that simply is not true. These were just my anecdotal thoughts and experiences. I agree with your overall point.

This is what YOU said:

That's all fine and well, but that doesn't change that to a good number of younger fans, it comes off as rude and cold. It's just the new culture. The militaristic roots of DCI are slowly dying, and as much as those complaints about Cadets at retreat may grind your gears, it's starting to become the new direction. What corps still stand completely at attention during retreat anymore? Cadets? SCV? Phantom? That's all I can think of. And even SCV and Phantom start to mingle once dismissed. When you become the odd one out, people are bound to notice and to some of the fans who don't know the history, it'll rub them the wrong way.

Please explain for which younger fans you are speaking because you seem to speak for them and know their feelings about it. Exactly how do you know this is how they feel about how certain corps stand at retreat. Fill us in on how you have experienced the thoughts and feelings of those who seem to have taken offense on how these corps stand at retreat and why they are offended about it. Clearly you seem to have the pulse of the younger fans based on what you say. By the way, my reading comprehension skills are perfectly fine, thank you very much.

• Like 5

. Are they donating to have a say? Donating to be an arm chair designer? Or donating to a corps they love. I guess thats a personal choice which all have a right to

. I donate to the corps I love. The Cadets and Cadets2. I have no interest in design or even what place they end up. I just wish some of the people would be a little nicer (not the kids or GH. They've never been anything but nice to us). Some of the peripheral people though....
  • Like 6