Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Its hard to mention the Holy Name Cadets and not mention the Mura Family.

Al Mura was the Cadets Brass Instructor from 1949 to 1954. The Mura family had well over a dozen Children, Cousins, Nephews in the Cadets. The Mura Family itself produced 4 Drum Majors at the Cadets over the years too.

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

There have been many iconic families associated with Cadets over the years. It certainly became a family affair for many families  there who often pulled the corps in an upward direction and kept the corps head above water. The Mura's for sure one of them

As recently as the 75th banquet and celebrations it was a Mura who taught the mms O Holy Name conducted the same at the anniversary Memorial Mass at Most Holy Name and got the alums and mms to negotiate on a common interpretation of tempos and descants for whenever combined ensemble of its singing. They continue to contribute to the legacy by sharing the memories and HoF honors with more recent classes of the Maroon Platoon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

As recently as the 75th banquet and celebrations it was a Mura who taught the mms O Holy Name conducted the same at the anniversary Memorial Mass at Most Holy Name and got the alums and mms to negotiate on a common interpretation of tempos and descants for whenever combined ensemble of its singing. They continue to contribute to the legacy by sharing the memories and HoF honors with more recent classes of the Maroon Platoon.

I worked the show at Giants Stadium that summer when the HOF inductees were honored, and Al Mura was there as one of the original members of the Cadets. He had the energy and enthusiasm level of someone 30-40 years younger than he was... amazing. 

I thought he, like Hawthorne Caballeros legendary co-founder George Hayek, just might live forever.  Sadly, both are now gone. Two of the finest men in the history of drum corps.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2017 at 10:03 AM, wallace said:

Gosh, '91 was so much better than it placed. PR&F was fantastic. It's too bad it's used as an example of a "down year" for the Cadets. I find that in most years the Cadets are out of the medals there are plenty of gold nuggets one can pan out of the metaphorical dirt. '99 is a perfect example. Seriously, who doesn't think the quad sequence is anything but pure gold? How about White Rabbit in '06? Best part of that show IMHO. The French horn feature in '15? So many nuggets I'm getting gold fever, baby!

It remains one of my favorite cadets shows ever. Very forward thinking at the time and I loved it while a lot of the audience was left scratching their heads. Reminds me of Crown 14, another show that a corps coming off a championship tries something quite different. I love when corps take risk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xandandl said:

I thought Jim Prime Jr. was also arranger in 82, Concerto in F, Rocky Point Holiday, and Cuban Overture.

I started there in '77 so I will put my thinking cap on. Dennis Dewey and Frank Dorritee were there when I arrived.

I wanted to march Cadets in 1977.... left my local-circuit junior corps, attended a couple of early Cadets rehearsals. Cadets had French horns, and I badly wanted to get back to playing a frenchie after one forgettable year on mellophone in 1976.

Then my parents suggested....OK, insisted...LOL... that I work that summer, since I had just started college. So... no DCI tour for me. 

So... when I found out DCA's Sunrisers had decided to bring back French horns for the '77 season, I joined. Several people from my old junior corps were there, so it was a good fit, and the corps ended up winning its first DCA title that summer. It was a great experience... but I still wonder about would could have been, if I had been a Cadet for even one season.

Turns out a few people I've since become friends with... at least two of them ended up in Sunrisers with me... were with Cadets in '77.

And Dennis Dewey became our brass caption head from 1980 through 1982. He was a great teacher.   I've heard he's now back working with Sun for this season. Their gain, for sure.

Edited by Fran Haring

27 minutes ago, xandandl said:

He taught both Jimmer and Donnie in Muchachos and made some day trips to Cadets in the early years that both his students were teaching Garfield.

Really? I marched under Jimmer n Donnie and don't recall LK ever showing up and I was a big Bayonne fan at the time even though I was marching Cadets.

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

I wanted to march Cadets in 1977.... left my local-circuit junior corps, attended a couple of early Cadets rehearsals. Cadets had French horns, and I badly wanted to get back to playing a frenchie after one forgettable year on mellophone in 1976.

Then my parents suggested....OK, insisted...LOL... that I work that summer, since I had just started college. So... no DCI tour for me. 

So... when I found out DCA's Sunrisers had decided to bring back French horns for the '77 season, I joined. Several people, including my older brother, from my old junior corps were there, so it was a good fit, and the corps ended up winning its first DCA title that summer. It was a great experience... but I still wonder about would could have been, if I had been able to be a Cadet for even one season.Especially with that wonderful horn line in 1977.

Turns out a few people I've since become friends with... at least two of them ended up in the Sunrisers with me after they aged out... were with Cadets in '77.

And Dennis Dewey ended up as our brass caption head from 1980 through 1982. He was a great teacher.   I've heard he's now back working with Sun for this season. Their gain, for sure.

and until the M-13 explosions of violence along communities of that Ronkonkoma LIRR line, Sun was still getting good draw from Brentwood H.S. where Dennis was band director for many years.

Just now, Tobias said:

Really? I marched under Jimmer n Donnie and don't recall LK ever showing up and I was a big Bayonne fan at the time even though I was marching Cadets.

what years did you march? I remember talking with him standing on the sidelines a few times when the corps practiced at Nutley and Hackensack parking lots. It definitely wasn't at the Ford plant up in Mahwah.

Just now, xandandl said:

and until the M-13 explosions of violence along communities of that Ronkonkoma LIRR line, Sun was still getting good draw from Brentwood H.S. where Dennis was band director for many years.

Yes they were!!!

I hear ya about that part of the island. I went to see my old team at a couple of rehearsals a few years ago... and man, those are some tough streets in Brentwood.

The corps has moved its base of operations elsewhere on the island, from what I understand... but they've been almost like a throwback to the corps of days gone by, giving some kids a chance to get away from that nasty stuff for the summer. And doing a nice job of moving up the ladder in DCA once again after a long, rough stretch for the corps.

OK.... back to our regularly-scheduled Cadets banter.  :tongue:

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

The northern NJ arrangers were not many. While Larry Kerschner's name is remembered with The Muchachos and The Bridgemen, I think he did a bit gig with Garfield Cadets but my recollection is fuzzy.

Onceuponatime and MikeD would be your best DCP sources to check. I'll get out my Cadets book.

Frank D. was also arranger in 1971, with assistance from Larry Schillings who arranged the Holst Chaconne from the Eb Suite

Don was arranger in 72.

I think Screech Arietano did the charts one or more years in the later 70's. Not sure which year.

69 and 70 was John Sasso, with Frank D. assisting in 1970.