Cadets 2017

42 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Maybe, but they won a championship in 1990, so that's hardly far removed from 1992. Furthermore, from '83 to '93 they won 4 championships. If you had only three years to march in '92, the chances are if you went to the Cadets you'd win at lest one before you aged out.

During the years I marched ('83 to '89) the Cadets won 4 championships. In the last 20 years, they've won 3. Granted, for anyone but the Blue Devils, 4 championships in 7 years today isn't really a reality, the Cadets haven't really be a threat to win during finals week since 2011. This is the sixth season in a row where they weren't a threat to the title the final week.

I gather from your past few posts that winning a championship is the measurement used to measure a successful year and nothing else matters??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I went to a Cadets camp in '92 ( in Teterboro), and yes they were young...  I wouldn't say that the hornline was particularly talented compared to other corps, but they had fun music. Worked more than other corps though, and I'm sure that was the difference maker from them back then.

Also, hated that danged butter flavored Crisco grilled cheese sandwiches that they served.

Cadets have never been as "talented" in many years as other corps - 93 Star vs. 93 Cadets a perfect example. They outworked their piers 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Everything I've heard over the years that's just not the case. They were coming off the sixth place finish in 91 - recruiting was tough and they didn't have a full horn line until july. The guard was young (but talented) and the battery/brass were mostly non vets

92 set up a very talented 93 corps that came out of the gates and defeated Star 93 - not easy!

No, it wasn't easy......

• Like 1

Here's the funny thing (given the contents of this thread):  

• A mere three weeks ago tonight I saw the Cadets' 2017 show in full uniform for the first time and loved it.
  • I've seen video of every show since then, and live in Clifton, and I still love it.
  • I expect that four weeks from tonight at Prelims in Indy, I will still love it.
  • I expect that after the season is over, it will be a show I continue to listen to on audio.
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

I gather from your past few posts that winning a championship is the measurement used to measure a successful year and nothing else matters??

Don't put words in my mouth. That's not what I said. But, it is, at the end of the day, a competitive activity. Every corps director should be working to better and better his/her corps, with the ultimate goal of winning a championship. I am using the Cadets history to show they are not as competitively successful as they were in the past. That is a fact. If you're fine with the continued decline of the Cadets, good for you. I am not. 

It's all moot at this stage though, because I still think they have a shot at 5th. But those of you that don't think Cavies or BAC cannot stay ahead of them, you're wrong.

Edited by henry7184

5 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

I don't think his point is only winning championships, but more being in the top tier, and in the discussion as a contender.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, henry7184 said:

Don't put words in my mouth. That's not what I said. But, it is, at the end of the day, a competitive activity, and I doubt very much the Cadets are attracting the same level of talent they used to.

Your posts infer that since you mention championship several times. Don't be so defensive. Just having a chat in a forum. It's not life and death.:fight:

• Like 2

Just now, cadet93 said:

I don't think his point is only winning championships, but more being in the top tier, and in the discussion as a contender.

Yes I get that.  Not looking to nit pick with Henry. God only knows not going there again.:sigh: