Cadets 2017

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

The "TILT" before tilt became trendy lol

And that company front with the guard up front in the long line and the corps in the curved company front - wow

And LOVED the last 2 minutes

A very powerful (and underscored) show IMO

BRILLIANT show

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Honestly, I'll take their midpoint uniforms this year with a shako as the primary uniforms. Sharp, modern, and still distinctly Cadets!

Nah, those little "dropsash" things they got going on just don't look classy enough. 

5 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

In 86 we were three time defending champions. Fourpeat in any activity is tough. Staff turnover, young corps, but we worked hard. Hell we started out in june in jeans and corps jackets. Not the the most populat Cadet show. But I would love to see them do an ENTIRE On The Waterfront show next year

GH said he wanted to do OTWF this year.

My guess is Mass provided the musical style variety the sheets demand now.

That is their challenge with Bernstein the next few years right?  How do they incorporate the musical variety that is demanded now, while his individual works are "generally" in one style.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

Nah, those little "dropsash" things they got going on just don't look classy enough. 

ooooo so picky  or should I say Prickly lol.

Just now, jonwoody said:

ooooo so picky  or should I say Prickly lol.

When it comes to Cadets, I am VERY picky prickly pear...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cadet93 said:

That is their challenge with Bernstein the next few years right?  How do they incorporate the musical variety that is demanded now, while his individual works are "generally" in one style.

Hopefully he will get his wish next year

I thought I heard this year the "Mass" program was a long time "dream show" of the Arranger Drew... and that's how it came about...?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Again, literally the only thing the Cadets are "declining" in from last year is their placement. Show design, scores, et al. are MILES ahead of last year. If you really believe the Cadets are declining from last year, you are clearly only caring about placement at this point.

No, that's not literally the only thing. I can think of a few more reasons why I feel they are declining. And, I'm not talking this year to last year - I never was. I'm talking this year to 2011.

#1 perhaps the greatest.

1. They used to be among the leaders and innovators of the activity, which is not the case anymore. No one follows them. They don't lead. They're not the innovators of the activity today. Blue Devils and Bluecoats are the innovators of today.

2. They used to draw from among the top most talented brass, guard and percussion players in the activity. I'm not so sure this is the case anymore.

3. They can't seem to keep staff. There seems to be a constant revolving door. Why do you think that is? People who are happy where they work don't tend to leave, at least not in massive numbers.

4. They can't seem to put together that championship level design anymore. While I think this year is much better than last year (I'm now not so sure the judges see it that way), it is still far from a winning design. Look at what Bluecoats, BD and SCV are doing. Can you honestly say the Cadets design is on par with those three? I don't think most corps can, but we are talking about the Cadets, and their design is a far cry from the designs of those three.

5. They continually are too literal with their themes, and seem to panic when things are not going well competitively.

6. They used to be the ones to pass corps up during the course of the season, and most years finished higher than where they started. Since 2012, they have finished beneath where they started every single year, and are the ones being passed up.

Yes, 2017 is a good show and I quite like it. No, it is not a top tier design. Yes, it is a step in the right direction. No, they are not nearly at medalist level again.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

No, that's not literally the only thing. I can think of a few more reasons why I feel they are declining. And, I'm not talking this year to last year - I never was. I'm talking this year to 2011.

#1 perhaps the greatest.

1. They used to be among the leaders and innovators of the activity, which is not the case anymore. No one follows them. They don't lead. They're not the innovators of the activity today. Blue Devils and Bluecoats are the innovators of today.

2. They used to draw from among the top most talented brass, guard and percussion players in the activity. I'm not so sure this is the case anymore.

3. They can't seem to keep staff. There seems to be a constant revolving door. Why do you think that is? People who are happy where they work tend to stay.

4. They can't seem to put together that championship level design anymore. While I think this year is much better than last year (I'm now not so sure the judges see it that way), it is still far from a winning design. Look at what Bluecoats, BD and SCV are doing. Can you honestly say the Cadets design is on par with those three? I don't think most corps can, but we are talking about the Cadets, and their design is a far cry from the designs of those three.

5. They continually are too literal with their themes, and seem to panic when things are going well competitively.

6. They used to be the ones to pass corps up during the course of the season, and most years finished higher than where they started. Since 2012, they have finished beneath where they started every single year, and were the ones being passed up.

Yes, 2017 is a good show and I quite like it. No, it is not a top tier design. Yes, it is a step in the right direction. No, they are not nearly at medalist level again.

The way I look at it is the same as how I look at it for the Cavaliers:  If they can stay above 93+ range at finals, they're still fine, and they can chip away at the design aspects and still be considered an elite corps.  If they start dipping below 92, then there's a really big problem that they need to overcome.

I think the show this year will keep them above a 92+ when everything is said and done, but they really need to push towards 93+ scores to keep the talent coming in and not become a stepping stone to BD, which I'm sure that non of their alumni wants to happen.

6 minutes ago, cadet93 said:

OTW is a harsh but beautiful score. Lots of emotion. I think Mass was a good choice this year because of the diversity of it. I would not be surprised if the next 2 years they stay with complete scores on entire Bernstein arrangements. Chichester, relive Jeremiah?

• Like 1