Cadets 2017

1 minute ago, GlenI said:

People who are charismatic and push organizations to new places are usually polarizing characters. I never met GH, but I get the sense from reports that he's probably a tough guy to work for - and maybe even to be around. No big surprises here. And BTW, I run a technology company, and in IT $200k gets you an average sales person. Taking a not-for-profit to the top of their game (+/-) for 35+ years... $200k + bennies is good value. There are going to be peaks and valleys. Everyone chill. 

I may need to come apply for a job when I retire from the military. :35_thinking::1_grinning:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

This has probably been brought up previously in this thread. I don't feel like reading through dozens of pages to find out so my apologies if that's the case. 

How much of the Cadets "step back" be attributed to the rise of Crown and Coats?  For a long time Cadets were the only consistent top 5 corp in the region. Plenty of top level talent coming there way.  With Crown and Coats emerging as perennial medal contenders, the top end talent on the east coast and surrounding areas gets more spread out between the three corps as opposed to just Cadets. 

Crown and 'Coats most certainly have had an effect, no doubt.  But it's a double-edged sword....

Consistently stagnant design from Cadets has propped the door open for other corps to move in.  If you want to stay in the top three, you better make sure you lock that #### behind you.  Cadets are practically holding it open.

6 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I may need to come apply for a job when I retire from the military. :35_thinking::1_grinning:

Right?  Does that mean I can sit on my butt and still make 100k?

• Like 1

People who are charismatic and push organizations to new places are usually polarizing characters. I never met GH, but I get the sense from reports that he's probably a tough guy to work for - and maybe even to be around. No big surprises here. And BTW, I run a technology company, and in IT $200k gets you an average sales person. Taking a not-for-profit to the top of their game (+/-) for 35+ years... $200k + bennies is good value. There are going to be peaks and valleys. Everyone chill. 

To the bold I agree. If the 200k is in reference to my post - notice that is a quote (not my words) from another site. I really don't care what he gets paid as it is none of my business. 

I do know 2 people who worked / consulted for him back in the late 80's, One of them told me after a DCE show in New Jersey during "first tour" that the man was very difficult to work for and he was never completely paid during those few years. No big deal because the 2 folks that I know loved the activity and was in it to win it so that makes things better. He said other things that are not important here - my point with this is he has been there a very long time at the wheel grinding, sometimes it is good to take a different approach / position and see if you can find a way to Win. Not that it means he has to go or nothing drastic like that. 

Besides the Cadets show this year is good and the members seem to enjoy it. It is what counts correct? As you point out there are peaks and valleys. Not every year can be a champion made. If GHOP is the person who keeps all of this together then it could be a huge downside to letting someone like that go or leave. The continued participation of the Cadets in DCI is important. In my opinion the east coast can't afford to lose any corps - it is down to so few now. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Crown and 'Coats most certainly have had an effect, no doubt.  But it's a double-edged sword....

Consistently stagnant design from Cadets has propped the door open for other corps to move in.  If you want to stay in the top three, you better make sure you lock that #### behind you.  Cadets are practically holding it open.

A ton of cadets designers moved on to Crown and Coats. Money and change are factors. Unfortunately these people don't grow on trees

3 minutes ago, GlenI said:

YEA may charitably be referred to as a tough place to work.

No question that $200 plus benefits is reasonable for a non-profit executive. I think the issue comes from the fact that everyone else makes peanuts. Turnover is unbelievable in that office because he expects the same level of buy-in from everyone who works there, and for what he pays, no mid-career finance or development professional wants to needlessly work 20 hour days like he does or sell candy at band shows on their "day off," etc.

It may be a temporary valley, but at this point it's a six year temporary valley.

3 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Right?  Does that mean I can sit on my butt and still make 100k?

No, unfortunately. It's a high-wire act. If you can't make $200k+ in our sector (70% commission) then you're not getting the job done and you get fired. That's why I stay in management! :8_laughing:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, exitmusic said:

Turnover is unbelievable in that office because he expects the same level of buy-in from everyone who works there, and for what he pays, no mid-career finance or development professional wants to needlessly work 20 hour days like he does or sell candy at band shows on their "day off," etc

Hmmm. Do I get to eat some of the candy I am trying to sell? That's really the difference maker. 

No, unfortunately. It's a high-wire act. If you can't make $200k+ in our sector (70% commission) then you're not getting the job done and you get fired. That's why I stay in management! :8_laughing:

Are you an SI? I have a client that sells its cloud services to SIs and those guys mark us up in a big way and their sales guys must make a ton of cash.