Cadets 2017

9 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I trust your judgement as I have only heard Cadets live! one time this year.

Still, the trumpet solo accomplishes something else the Cadets do better than anyone, which is to draw your visual attention in and out to what THEY want you do focus on.  The Simple Song solo drew my eyes to the individual and to the details of the priest's robes immediately, setting the tone for the effect the Cadets are playing out.

I can't comment since I haven't heard the choir member sing, but I would have to imagine that visual effect is lost.

I understand that the choir soloist was moved to where the horn soloist was so that the contrast of visual was not disturbed as much as having her sing the same solo yet stand within the vocal ensemble. She moves back to them later in the show.

• Like 1

Cadets showing some great momentum

Up 1.925 yesterday

After a few days of stagnation when they were changing the closer the score has accelerated

Only Cavaliers & Scouts scores growing as quickly right now

The last couple days they also overtook their scoring in 2016 and now are about 1.5 pts ahead of the 2016 pace

Next few shows are critical for the Cadets - with contest Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Up 1.925 yesterday

After a few days of stagnation when they were changing the closer the score has accelerated

The last couple days they also overtook their scoring in 2016 and now are about 1.5 pts ahead of the 2016 pace

Next few shows are critical for the Cadets - with contest Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. 

As I said, I hope they continue to clean. On paper anyway, that should improve caption scores and clarity should help boost GE. Not sure competition wise what i am expecting. Maybe over take BAC? Cavies seem to be sailing towards Bloo. Don't think overtaking Cavies is in the cards for Cadets this season. 

Unlike a year ago the changes being made to the show are not out of desperation, have been thought out and ARE WORKING.  I say working not really caring so much for placement increases as I do for making the show one I want to see and hear and will remember for how good it becomes.

ps If any song in a drum corps show should be SUNG it's "Simple Song"...bravo!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Tobias said:

As I said, I hope they continue to clean. On paper anyway, that should improve caption scores and clarity should help boost GE. Not sure competition wise what i am expecting. Maybe over take BAC? Cavies seem to be sailing towards Bloo. Don't think overtaking Cavies is in the cards for Cadets this season. 

I think they can and will overtake Cavaliers. But one thing at a time!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I understand that the choir soloist was moved to where the horn soloist was so that the contrast of visual was not disturbed as much as having her sing the same solo yet stand within the vocal ensemble. She moves back to them later in the show.

Also, the countermelody notes at the end of the solo which were played by a mello facing backfield were transferred to the flugel player on the pew.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Up 1.925 yesterday

I really liked Cadets last night, they were a lot better than I thought they were going to be. I think they have a very good chance to move up, looking forward to seeing them live in Chester and Allentown.

26 minutes ago, ndrudy2013 said:

I really liked Cadets last night, they were a lot better than I thought they were going to be. I think they have a very good chance to move up, looking forward to seeing them live in Chester and Allentown.

Great! Glad to hear they won you over a bit last night

their next four days are quite critical, they need to really push their performance levels higher in the eyes of judges

with almost every seat taken but the reserved front row, Cadets had about 2300 students at that TBM convention performance according to the press release on the Lila Cockrell Theatre.  Great gig, excellent recruiting, super venue, super way to air condition the corps in 110 temps. How does it compare to the annual Ball State Crown convention numbers?

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1