Carolina Crown 2017

5 minutes ago, auldschool said:

The 2015 Crown show was "that one show". But they didn't win. 

The lesson here is that there is no hard and fast rule about what's going to win in this activity.  Seems that there has to be a judging consensus about which show design will win. This has to play out over the season.  When is the last time we had corps trading victories back and forth over the course of a season to the point where we didn't know who would win?  I mean, we get a good idea where corps stands by the second week of the competition season.

Maybe I'm just confused because the Blue Devils have reeled off so many "wins" over the last many seasons that I have a problem seeing when there is more than a one or two way horse race to first.... I thought Crown could win in 2015, but nope.  They didn't.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, auldschool said:

Yeah but Finals they looked really not good. Certainly not deserving of a gold. That combined with the percussion (which was not a weakness at all for Bluecoats) made BD that much more appealing. Plus the Devils really bring it on Saturdays.

Edited by brassdude6171
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, johnpendell said:

This is true that Bluecoats didn't win in a land slide. But they won basically every show leading up to Finals except a couple. I was at San Antonio and I remember thinking Crown had it, I even went with a friend who's not musical at all and she agreed with me. I don't understand what you mean by Bluecoats performed the hell out of their show and just did better, then to say it was dirty with the feet. I'll add it was dirty in the brass too...there's spots all over. There was really nothing special about the show other than the slides, the spread out front ensemble and the numerous amps that are basically a second contra section when needed. Not even gonna mention uniforms it's irrelevant. BUT, this was the formula that won, and with the major changes that all these corps are starting to do, whether it's because of Bluecoats or not, it appears it is now the formula for the future. I could be so wrong and I'll own up to it as the season progresses. I'm just concerned DCI is turning into WGI on crack, and I know many marchers who are for so many of these changes. I just don't want the art form to be unrecognizable in 5 years. If that makes sense? BTW have fun in France, that sounds WAY more rewarding, and you can watch periscopes while having some wine and cheese!

oh lord

that was one of the most exposed and difficult programs visually ever put on a football field - I guess it's not obvious to everyone (based on your post) but their achievement was extremely high

as far as musical demand - it was there too - although I'd say BD & Cadets had more and SCV in drums. Coats had extremely wide visual spread, brass hoping on and off various instruments, a subtle but extremely demanding percussion battery & FE book, guard work was effective but like the drill very exposed

I'd really encourage you to take another look and see how incredibly difficult 2016 BC was...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, auldschool said:

Agreed. I thought the judges really got that wrong. They seem to err on the side of BD.

Remember when BD won in 2014 and everyone was grilling them  saying Coats should have won and the response was, it was the best executed show what do you want from the judges... IMO Tilt was far more revolutionary than the next two seasons. It literally set them up perfectly, and it was really an expansion on the innovation of Tilt. Down Side Up wasn't some out of left field show... nothing we haven't seen the Coats do in years prior. I defend BD in 2015 too, they deserved the win because they executed it the best, and I'm obviously a Crown guy. Why is execution irrelevant now in 2016 onward? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Seems that being squeaky clean no longer guarantees a championship. It worked for BD for a decade, but not last year.  Maybe a sea change has come.

Crown was clean visually. They won that caption. They weren't clean in ME or percussion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, auldschool said:

It worked for BD in 2015. That was not the best show. But they were clean. 

BD had the best show of 2015 in my view. Them and then Coats. Then Cadets. But to each their own. And yes - BD was clean.

1 minute ago, johnpendell said:

Remember when BD won in 2014 and everyone was grilling them  saying Coats should have won and the response was, it was the best executed show what do you want from the judges... IMO Tilt was far more revolutionary than the next two seasons. It literally set them up perfectly, and it was really an expansion on the innovation of Tilt. Down Side Up wasn't some out of left field show... nothing we haven't seen the Coats do in years prior. I defend BD in 2015 too, they deserved the win because they executed it the best, and I'm obviously a Crown guy. Why is execution irrelevant now in 2016 onward? 

It's us millennials, man. We have a short attention span. Give us cool stuff. I know personally if I saw a super clean show that was not super exciting and compared it to a not super clean show that was super exciting, I'm more ept to the super exciting one.

• Like 2

Just now, George Dixon said:

oh lord

that was one of the most exposed and difficult programs visually ever put on a football field - I guess it's not obvious to everyone (based on your post) but their achievement was extremely high

as far as musical demand - it was there too - although I'd say BD & Cadets had more and SCV in drums. Coats had extremely wide visual spread, brass hoping on and off various instruments, a subtle but extremely demanding percussion battery & FE book, guard work was effective but like the drill very exposed

I'd really encourage you to take another look and see how incredibly difficult 2016 BC was...

I'm not even questioning the CONTENT of the show, obviously they're doing great things! No top 3 corps or even top 5 corps is gonna have a substanceless show. If we're gonna use that approach Cadets should have won 2015 by their content alone. That show is a MONSTER. They're running basically the whole time. But it wasn't executed well so they didn't win. 

2 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

"everyone" was not saying "Coats should have won" - or at least, I wasn't. I personally felt 14 was BD and then a huge gap and then Cadets and then a huge gap and then Coats

• Like 1