Carolina Crown 2017

6 minutes ago, Lance said:

i go to spokane for theater broadcasts, and it's very easy to tell which school the tweens go to and which corps their band directors love and hate

i try to tune out their stupidity between shows by just playing on my phone, but some of it leaks through anyway

crown and bd tend to get a lot of poo talk

The thing that annoys me about bandos is that they put very little thought into their opinions. It's usually very kneejerk reactions. 

Is the corps playing really loud major chords? Looks like they're the best corps ever 

Does understanding the show the corps is performing require an ounce of brainpower? No? Looks like they're the best corps ever

Are the corps wearing some really novel costume that isn't the traditional corps attire? Looks like they're the best corps ever

Does the corps not have a history of winning DCI championships? Well screw the traditionally successful corps, we want a different corps to win just for the sake of it

Maybe I'm just really bitter but from what I've seen on social media, the huge attraction bandos have to Crown and Bloo (and the accompanying dislike for corps like SCV, BD, and Cadets) often come down to the factors mentioned above. 

And then I remember that these bandos are bringing a lot more exposure to DCI as a whole and I bite my tongue. 

• Like 3

I'm surprised Crown isn't doing the same fundraising promotion they did last year.  I would pay a ridiculous amount of money to get a taste of what they're planning this season! 

EDIT:  Playing that over in my head--I guess that's pretty selfish of me. I'll donate this year regardless, but still,  corps should definitely exploit our need for updates at this point in the season. 

Edited by Kevin.

6 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

That's just fiction.  On here there was lots of enjoyment for Coats but the consensus was that BD definitely deserved the win.   The only place I've seen people saying Tilt should have won was on some YouTube comments and those were even just a handful.  

Now 2015 on the other hand......but I digress.  How about Carolina Crown 2017?   

Yeah, I certainly remember there being wide consensus on their win -- even from the Coats alums and parents I was sitting around that night.

No doubt, 2015 was a different story. Anyway, I have a student marching Crown this year and from what little of the music I've heard.. I'm intrigued! Like Lance, I find the show concept interesting and look forward to seeing how it'll develop this summer.

3 hours ago, Lance said:

also, i wish crown would just hurry up and announce because i think their show concept and repertoire are pretty fascinating

The rep sure is. It should be interesting to see how well they fit all that music together.

They always have made the music fit together so far, so I have no doubt that they continue to do so.

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

The thing that annoys me about bandos is that they put very little thought into their opinions. It's usually very kneejerk reactions. 

Is the corps playing really loud major chords? Looks like they're the best corps ever 

Does understanding the show the corps is performing require an ounce of brainpower? No? Looks like they're the best corps ever

Are the corps wearing some really novel costume that isn't the traditional corps attire? Looks like they're the best corps ever

Does the corps not have a history of winning DCI championships? Well screw the traditionally successful corps, we want a different corps to win just for the sake of it

Maybe I'm just really bitter but from what I've seen on social media, the huge attraction bandos have to Crown and Bloo (and the accompanying dislike for corps like SCV, BD, and Cadets) often come down to the factors mentioned above. 

And then I remember that these bandos are bringing a lot more exposure to DCI as a whole and I bite my tongue. 

True words but you might want to see your dentist about that.

ok, I;ll stop that now. Time for serious drum corps talk.

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I agree but, I wouldn't put SCV in the dislike, a lot of bandos I know love SCV.

• Like 1

Flashback to last summer for a sec. Just watched the show again for the first time in a few months and I have some thoughts on that ending. I know that with Boston and that design team coming from Carolina and how in Boston they won't have to have that "G7/Disney ending" with the Wicked Games show, but I really like how Relentless ended. I think that it fit the story really well with the whole "remember who you are" plea from that girl at the end who probably had some relation to the son that I'm missing. And it really fit what America was going through at the time with all the gun violence that was going on around summertime last year. So it fit the story and it fit the times. The #LayDownTheGuns thing they had going really helped. Plus I don't think the ballad did the "Hallelujah" theme well enough to stand on its own, and the extra closer really did it justice. Just some food for thought.

(At least they didn't have the murderer become friends with the son and hold hands off in the sunset! At least they locked him up!)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

Flashback to last summer for a sec. Just watched the show again for the first time in a few months and I have some thoughts on that ending. I know that with Boston and that design team coming from Carolina and how in Boston they won't have to have that "G7/Disney ending" with the Wicked Games show, but I really like how Relentless ended. I think that it fit the story really well with the whole "remember who you are" plea from that girl at the end who probably had some relation to the son that I'm missing. And it really fit what America was going through at the time with all the gun violence that was going on around summertime last year. So it fit the story and it fit the times. The #LayDownTheGuns thing they had going really helped. Plus I don't think the ballad did the "Hallelujah" theme well enough to stand on its own, and the extra closer really did it justice. Just some food for thought.

(At least they didn't have the murderer become friends with the son and hold hands off in the sunset! At least they locked him up!)

Totally agree. I kept saying throughout the season that Crown should change their closer to make a statement about the current gun violence and people said that was a stupid idea. When they finally did it, the narrative on DCP changed to "I doubt Crown did it to make a statement." Eventually statements from their DM and the whole hashtag confirmed it. 

The changes to the end of their show really made the show sparkle for me. Gave it a twist that fit in really well with their theme, despite complaints about it not really fitting in with the whole Spaghetti Western thing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Totally agree. I kept saying throughout the season that Crown should change their closer to make a statement about the current gun violence and people said that was a stupid idea. When they finally did it, the narrative on DCP changed to "I doubt Crown did it to make a statement." Eventually statements from their DM and the whole hashtag confirmed it. 

The changes to the end of their show really made the show sparkle for me. Gave it a twist that fit in really well with their theme, despite complaints about it not really fitting in with the whole Spaghetti Western thing. 

The "new" ending was terrible. 

• Like 7