First Time Ever at DCI

I don't know anything about winning but I see Blue Knights or Blue Stars with best chance to attain a top 5 spot in the future.

well, it's hard to imagine anyone out of the top 6 winning in the next five years..., but I mean if there ever will be another first time champion and it could take 10 to 20 years, I would put my money on Boston, Blue Knights, and Crossmen.

No love for Academy in any of these the-next-corps list. Hype is a big thing when it comes to recruiting and show design, and this corps has plenty of hype from 2016 that they'll be able to roll into 2017 if they do it right.

I love Academy, and thought they were great, and deserving of 11th, but if they're going to get talked about, they need to make changes.

There needs to be more difficulty for one.

If they come out with a show of similar difficulty in 2017, there's a good chance they won't be back in the top 12.

Santa Clara was the 1971 VFW national champion, and the Cavaliers won multiple national titles pre-DCI.

Boom

I'm gonna put my money on The Academy. If the continue to up the ante and continue to grow, they could definitely be in title contention within the next 7 to 10 years. It won't happen over night, but it will happen if they play their cards right.

• Like 1

Let's not short change the Blue Stars! They were 2nd in 1972.

Urk. And I knew that, too. Sorry for the mistake. FIxed.

I'm gonna put my money on The Academy. If the continue to up the ante and continue to grow, they could definitely be in title contention within the next 7 to 10 years. It won't happen over night, but it will happen if they play their cards right.

That would be great!

Or they could be following the Bluecoats' path:

Bluecoats

1972 -- founded

1987 -- first time in Finals, 11th place (15 years)

2016 -- first championship (44 years)

Academy

2001 -- founded

2016 -- first time in Finals, 11th place (15 years)

= 2045 -- first championship (44 years) ?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I love Academy, and thought they were great, and deserving of 11th, but if they're going to get talked about, they need to make changes.

There needs to be more difficulty for one.

If they come out with a show of similar difficulty in 2017, there's a good chance they won't be back in the top 12.

Agreed, but I feel confident they'll up the ante in 2017. Top 12 means they'll attract a stronger member pool, and if the design team anticipates that, they definitely have a shot at top 8. Boston saw the same trajectory when they first made Finals - that 99 show is fun, it's ok, but then that 00 show is amazing!

That would be great!

Or they could be following the Bluecoats' path:

Bluecoats

1972 -- founded

1987 -- first time in Finals, 11th place (15 years)

2016 -- first championship (44 years)

Academy

2001 -- founded

2016 -- first time in Finals, 11th place (15 years)

= 2045 -- first championship (44 years) ?

Don't do that to me...why did you do that to me?!

Agreed, but I feel confident they'll up the ante in 2017. Top 12 means they'll attract a stronger member pool, and if the design team anticipates that, they definitely have a shot at top 8. Boston saw the same trajectory when they first made Finals - that 99 show is fun, it's ok, but then that 00 show is amazing!

If you look at their trajectory since their new formula went in for 2014, I'm not worried. 2016 didn't happen on its own, they've been gradually increasing difficulty and complexity every year. I suspect we will see another jump in those regards next year while maintaining their identity.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1