First Time Ever at DCI

Getting a new first World Champion only becomes more difficult now:

Knocking off 1 former champion is a good achievement as did Blue Stars, Crossmen, Academy, and Crusaders.

Knocking off 2 former champions is a great achievement as did BK

Knocking off 7 former champions is a phenomenal achievement that took the Bluecoats 44 years.

Knocking off 3,4,5,6,7, and now 8 former champions........I only hope I'm around to see it, because it's

going to be an unbelievable show/performance.

CONGRATULATIONS 2016 WORLD CHAMPION CANTON BLUECOATS!!!!

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 1

Here's a thought for you. Fully one half of the 16 active corps to have made top 12 have at least one title.

And, those eight corps account for 46 of the 48 champions since '72. (Remember, there have been 3 ties)

Here's a thought for you. Fully one half of the 16 active corps to have made top 12 have at least one title.

And, those eight corps account for 46 of the 48 champions since '72. (Remember, there have been 3 ties)

Just keeping the numbers in perspective, Blue Devils have a noticeably disproportionate number of those championships (including 2 of the ties). Subtracting out their 17 wins (more than a third of all wins) it shows a much more even playing field, mostly dominated by Cadets. But just looking at even distribution, and including the two defunct champs, it averages out to about 3.5 championships per champion corps, less Blue Devils, which is a pretty reasonable number.

My point in this: a new champion shouldn't look at it as "we need to beat all 8 current champions;" they need to look at it as "we need to beat the Blue Devils, plus one TBD wild card corps."

Just keeping the numbers in perspective, Blue Devils have a noticeably disproportionate number of those championships (including 2 of the ties). Subtracting out their 17 wins (more than a third of all wins) it shows a much more even playing field, mostly dominated by Cadets. But just looking at even distribution, and including the two defunct champs, it averages out to about 3.5 championships per champion corps, less Blue Devils, which is a pretty reasonable number.

My point in this: a new champion shouldn't look at it as "we need to beat all 8 current champions;" they need to look at it as "we need to beat the Blue Devils, plus one TBD wild card corps."

if you're going to play that game, minus the BD years from 2006; Cavies, Regiment, Cadets, Crown, Bluecoats. It’d almost look like some sort of parity but we all know that’s not the case

I'm interested to see who the next first time champion will be, it probably won't be for a number of years but maybe Crossmen, Blue Knights, or Boston could rise in a number of years

For a long time it was supposed to be Glassmen... :(

For a long time it was supposed to be Glassmen... :(

I'm going to go with Crossmen as my final answer. They are in Texas, a hot bed of talent. They draw in great recruits, they have been putting on great shows, and they have a lot of momentum going into the next few years after finishing 10th this year (I believe, could be wrong about being in 10th)

I'm going to go with Crossmen as my final answer. They are in Texas, a hot bed of talent. They draw in great recruits, they have been putting on great shows, and they have a lot of momentum going into the next few years after finishing 10th this year (I believe, could be wrong about being in 10th)

Yes, but the problem with Texas and Indiana (#2 and #1 marching band states nationally) are that corps tend to struggle there. They are hotbeds of talent because their marching bands are so #### good... and therefore a lot of kids don't - and sometimes aren't allowed - to march DCI corps and have their directors' blessings to come back to the fall show.

Yes, but the problem with Texas and Indiana (#2 and #1 marching band states nationally) are that corps tend to struggle there. They are hotbeds of talent because their marching bands are so #### good... and therefore a lot of kids don't - and sometimes aren't allowed - to march DCI corps and have their directors' blessings to come back to the fall show.

Can someone explain to me the hate that marching bands have with drum corps? It feels so backwards to me. A friend who marched Boston in the 90s actually had his band director in high school try to kick him out of band because he marched.

Can someone explain to me the hate that marching bands have with drum corps? It feels so backwards to me. A friend who marched Boston in the 90s actually had his band director in high school try to kick him out of band because he marched.

I have personally never experienced this.

JSU Marching Southerners full band camp started last Friday, but I understood those marching DCI had until Monday morning to report in.

Both HS Band directors and the school admin supported my kids marching in Drum Corps in the summer even though they sometimes missed a week of school. Just make up your work and don't get behind, they said. Never a problem.

BTW -- one of the HS Band Directors had a son who marched BD several years before my kids started HS. I would have been surprised if he was against Drum Corps.