Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

30 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

That yt link is still up. 

Looked like some more body movement stuff in the opener and bumble bee. I'm sure there's more subtle things I missed. 

Didn't catch anything new. But they cleaned up a few parts which i am happy about. 

• Like 1

So...I'm of two minds on this show, from what I've seen (so, exclusively video, and not anything of particularly good quality, video-wise).

On one hand, there are a heck of a lot of parts of this show that I love (Bumblebee is great, the uniform design is great [at least for the initial uniform; I hang a "pretty good" on the second uniform], coming off the line with "One-Eyed Sailor" and a trumpet soloing "La Suerte" is magical).

There are also parts of it that feel incredibly...disjointed.

Like, the closer feels very cut-and-paste. Like they just said "here's our trumpet feature, now here's our trombone feature, now here's our park-and-bark jazz rockout"...without those sections necessarily flowing into each other.

To (probably annoyingly) borrow from my '99 comparison about twenty pages ago, it needs a better flow...akin to the swing section they inserted during the season (where the quads switch to [effectively] floor toms) in '99.

There's some great parts to the show, but it's less of a show, and more a collection of moments that aren't necessarily cohesive, if that makes sense.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

There's some great parts to the show, but it's less of a show, and more a collection of moments that aren't necessarily cohesive, if that makes sense.

This is pretty accurate imo. Collection of moments, and there a lot of great ones, but the tie-ins are lackluster and repetitive. Almost always a percussion interlude while the corps runs around. BD has been doing that for years, but they've gone overboard with that type of "transition" this year. 

Lots of season left though. We'll see. 

58 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Didn't catch anything new. But they cleaned up a few parts which i am happy about. 

Yeah, they're already cleaning up the full corps rotating rectangle front and center in the opener.  That's become a signature move the last few years. Very exposed and hard to pull off. It's often overlooked, but it's one of the most difficult drill moves out there to make look good. Rotating into long, straight vertical lines midfield is not easy. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, mboogey73 said:

Yeah, they're already cleaning up the full corps rotating rectangle front and center in the opener.  That's become a signature move the last few years. Very exposed and hard to pull off. It's often overlooked, but it's one of the most difficult drill moves out there to make look good. Rotating into long, straight vertical lines midfield is not easy. 

LOL so funny you say that, cause that move was what i was referring to by them getting cleaned up. 

• Like 3

I just became a BIG fan of this show.  

I live in the Portland area so I caught the entire evening rehearsal at the beautiful Hillsboro stadium on a perfect summer's eve.  

For me, this is the most relatable BD show I've seen since I became a fan of the activity in 2010.  The three acts flow together nicely and took me on a pleasant journey from more traditional drum corps to the anything goes style we see today.  This is all peppered with other metamorphosis metaphors such as snippets from Rihanna's 'Diamonds' and others. 

Musically, it is a stunner and I could probably listen to the ballad on permanent repeat and never grow tired of it till the day I die. 'Everything Must Change' is the perfect choice, with an outstanding jazz-inspired arrangement and an uber-talented brassline to melt faces with it.  Well done BD.  Well done.  

Great park and barks.  No one does them better.

Rifles and flags were top notch as I knew they would be.  I especially enjoyed the assortment of slightly asymetrical dance moves of the MMs.  Added a lot of really fun visual accents.  

I did get a kick out of one of the soloists playing a motif from "As Time Goes By".  She was getting one of the notes wrong and the voice in the box kept saying 'no, it's the same as the 2nd note you play"- or something to that effect. They finally worked it out but it's a reminder of just how young these kids are!  This is one of the most iconic songs of at least three generations still alive today and yet this soloist didn't know it!  Or maybe it's just that I'm old.  LOL

Really impressed.  CAN'T WAIT for Drums of Fire.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 7

I'm hearing Dindi and Legend, Suerte, 
Saw a run from July 5th.  The music from the closer "boogie woogie" section is wonderful to hear in 2017.
I love all the insect, butterfly, cocoon, bees, metamorphoses the Devils are playing out.  Can't wait to see how far this goes.  

Edited by Cop
  • Like 6

Ok. Watched the Hillsboro run about 5 times between last night and today, and I'll relent on my earlier skepticism. I'm definitely enjoying this show FAR more than I ever though I would upon first viewing. The small visual nuances being added in --- all of the bug-like body movements --- are really completing the show for me. I never had a problem with the monster brass book, and I'm still just as impressed by their performance of it. The lack of demand in the visual book is what I took issue with upon the first few viewings, although many on this thread have stated over and over how it would grow through small layerings, and it certainly already has done just that. They're offering up a lot more substance visually now, and I'm a fan. I definitely thought I wouldn't enjoy this year's edition of the corps, but I keep finding myself going back to the Hillsboro video to catch more, and am really appreciating this show more and more every time. Still a few glaring design issues, I believe, but I'm now pretty confident based on what's been added that all of those will be sewn up within the month. Maybe this is just the first season I've really paid attention to BD's style of growth and teaching --- how incredibly unique among the approach that all other corps take! This has been very intriguing to watch develop.

• Like 7