Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

Just now, NakedEye said:

Having seen what is on the backside of the stained glass props when someone had it flipped around as they exited the field last night, let's just say what they have planned for the end is not going to be subtle. If they add anything additional, like dragging out big banners of gold or white, the spectacle could definitely approach the "full Oprah" from 2014. 

Oh, I saw them, too. (We ended up parked in the parking lot where they stashed them post-show.)

I'm...anxious.

38 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

They can handle anything. But can DCP handle having nothing to gripe about?

I say: let em dance, it keeps this place interesting. :)

I'm not really griping.  I haven't really ever had a problem with this show since the second I heard the opener.  They are more concerns than anything else.  This show probably has my favorite music of any show ever (Yes, I understand how absurd that statement is.).  For me, it has everything.  Swing, squealers, contra features, trumpet fanfares, fast runs, classic literature, modern literature, trombones, glissandos, it really is a well rounded book.  I love it to death.

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Anyone else getting a sneaking feeling they're NOT gonna add that much more drill? :innocent:

Definitely feels like a closer's coming, but other than that, I really wonder... I don't think it'd be unreasonable for the staff to think the show mostly needs to be cleaned, not amended.  Problems I'd previously had are disappearing as the corps sells it better.

Also, TJ is definitely going to be kicking the rifle line's butt all summer, keep them in your thoughts, lol. They're still making a lot of weird errors, moreso than any other part of the guard elsewhere in the show. "Bumblebee" is killer. 

I still think they are going to fill more drill in. They redid the end of Ink several times and each version had less standing and more moving. 

The past few years have featured a prominent rifle "WOW" section that was super hard and exposed. This year there are at least 10 of those sections. It's a beast. Having marched in an era when rifles doing double-time was common, and challenging enough to control while moving slowly, I get an anxiety attack watching the opening work where they double-time their way across the field while shuffling laterally. Zero margin for error. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I still think they are going to fill more drill in. They redid the end of Ink several times and each version had less standing and more moving. 

The past few years have featured a prominent rifle "WOW" section that was super hard and exposed. This year there are at least 10 of those sections. It's a beast. Having marched in an era when rifles doing double-time was common, and challenging enough to control while moving slowly, I get an anxiety attack watching the opening work where they double-time their way across the field while shuffling laterally. Zero margin for error. 

That jazz running ala 2014 in the opener is super exposed, and super impressive.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I'm not really griping.  I haven't really ever had a problem with this show since the second I heard the opener.  They are more concerns than anything else.  This show probably has my favorite music of any show ever (Yes, I understand how absurd that statement is.).  For me, it has everything.  Swing, squealers, contra features, trumpet fanfares, fast runs, classic literature, modern literature, trombones, glissandos, it really is a well rounded book.  I love it to death.

I didn't mean you, my friend!

• Like 1

I just wanna hear that trumpet fanfare twice on finals night...

Dear Other Corps, Please don't deprive me of this. Sincerely, Me

• Like 4

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I know right!  I can't wait to watch it!

5 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

That trumpet feature is much akin to that super exposed ensemble chord at the end of the ballad in Ink (I really believe that show was magic in a bottle much like Spartacus was). The corps is all spread out in a line and there is ZERO margin for error, and the result is nothing but chills running down your spine. 

I too hope that they will get the opportunity to play that fanfare twice for the audience this year at finals. 

• Like 3