Blue Devils 2017 60th Anniversary!

1 minute ago, Spandy said:

What is the narration? I can't hear it very well on my work computer

At the very end of the show......Jerry says "Concord Blue Devils"

• Like 1

And, to dovetail into my prior post, in both the 50th and 60th anniversary shows, there are quotes from the 1971 run.

This year, it's a recorded quote from Jerry.

In 07, it was the short Ode to Joy quote going into the last set of the show....Ode to Joy was the 2nd chart in 1971.

• Like 3

What I love about this show is how fan accessible it is.  It pains me that so many want to tear it down instead of just enjoying what a great show this is and has become.

I said last week that I never thought I would love a BD show more than 86.  Well I think of love this one more.

• Like 5

Interesting they cranked up the tempo on the closing push.  Being an alum, definitely goosebumps when Jerry says, "Concord Blue Devils."  Flashback to the first show I performed in when the announcer said, " On the starting line, from Concerd, California...."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeBD said:

It pains me that so many want to tear it down instead of just enjoying what a great show this is and has become.

Greatness is only ignored by those who arent great.

• Like 6

I think I heard narration (in addition to the previous voice stuff that had been there) in the off-the-line as well, that may have also been Mr. Seawright? (I feel odd calling him "Jerry"...same with Mr. Royer.) Could anyone tell what that is?

Also, please call it "on the starting line," Brandt Crocker. Please. I need to hear Brandt Crocker say "on the starting line" in a competitive setting in my time following drum corps.

Since I was on travel for a while, let's have a gander at my old "direct shout-outs to previous championship shows" list. I'm not really considering things that they're referencing from recent non-championship shows, since they do that anyway (dropping the Goodwin arrangement of the Invention in D minor from 2008 in last year, for example--in that respect, BD's kinda refreshingly old-school, in that they are quite comfortable dropping stuff that worked in previous years in this year; I rather like that).

Here's what the list was as of the last time I updated it:

1976: Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor cadence to open
1977:
1979: La Suerte de Los Tontos in the opener
1980: La Suerte, Dindi
1982: Guard wings (h/t several people)
1986:
1994:
1996:
1997: As Time Goes By in the opener (h/t saxfreq, NakedEye)
1999:
2003: Blue Rondo a La Turk snippet in the opener
2007: wings in guard in closer (h/t Cadevilina Crown)
2009:
2010: Mirrors on the stairs, La Suerte
2012: visibly hanging jackets under the stairs
2014: that brass feature in the closer (SERIOUSLY, THAT BRASS FEATURE)
2015: does the use of Rihanna here count as a shout-out to the Kpop section?

Did we identify any others that I haven't added up above?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

I think I heard narration (in addition to the previous voice stuff that had been there) in the off-the-line as well, that may have also been Mr. Seawright? (I feel odd calling him "Jerry"...same with Mr. Royer.) Could anyone tell what that is?

Also, please call it "on the starting line," Brandt Crocker. Please. I need to hear Brandt Crocker say "on the starting line" in a competitive setting in my time following drum corps.

Since I was on travel for a while, let's have a gander at my old "direct shout-outs to previous championship shows" list. I'm not really considering things that they're referencing from recent non-championship shows, since they do that anyway (dropping the Goodwin arrangement of the Invention in D minor from 2008 in last year, for example--in that respect, BD's kinda refreshingly old-school, in that they are quite comfortable dropping stuff that worked in previous years in this year; I rather like that).

Here's what the list was as of the last time I updated it:

1976: Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor cadence to open
1977:
1979: La Suerte de Los Tontos in the opener
1980: La Suerte, Dindi
1982: Guard wings (h/t several people)
1986:
1994:
1996:
1997: As Time Goes By in the opener (h/t saxfreq, NakedEye)
1999:
2003: Blue Rondo a La Turk snippet in the opener
2007: wings in guard in closer (h/t Cadevilina Crown)
2009:
2010: Mirrors on the stairs, La Suerte
2012: visibly hanging jackets under the stairs
2014: that brass feature in the closer (SERIOUSLY, THAT BRASS FEATURE)
2015: does the use of Rihanna here count as a shout-out to the Kpop section?

Did we identify any others that I haven't added up above?

I was getting ready to tell you to add the circus tight rope walk from 2008, but realized your list is gold medal shows lol. Still a great list. Thanks for doing it!!