See post below

Edited by Jeffe77

11 minutes ago, JohnD said:

On the starting line from Concord, California - THE BLUE DEVILS

JDaWd1E.jpg

ZUZVKCN.jpg

fm53Muv.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

Never thought the Blue Devils, the bleeping Blue Devils would have some semblance of a traditional uniform but yet fit with the design of their shows. Oh wait, they have been doing this for almost 10 years. It took this season of other corps really pushing the uniform envelope for me to finally appreciate what I resisted all along with BD. Go figure.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Narrow said:

West coast delivered.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

OMG. Love it. This good in June? Can't wait to see it live next weekend. Do it up Devils!!!

• Like 2

Ok, I've watched that video about six times now, and it has to be said: the visual design is super lackluster. I see almost nothing that matches the INCREDIBLY well-designed and intense music book. Everything flows so stunningly musically and there is SO MUCH INSANE DEMAND....and I get none of that visually at this point. Maybe it's even more glaring following the last three years of visual magic? And I know it's super super early; however, drill design is drill design, and what I see is terribly ineffective (in my mind). As an example, BD had my absolute favorite drill moment last year: the entire ballad matched that gorgeous Valezquez movie piece F**KING PERFECTLY. Starting the movement backhash behind the scaffolding, ending on the front sideline in the company front, the swirling and unfolding and spiraling in the middle, the guard reaching upwards to match that massively exposed impact perfectly....I mean, sheer brilliance. That whole middle movement should be used in classes on how to match drill to music in an utterly perfect way. I don't see anything resembling that same brilliance in this design. It lacks forward movement, purpose, intent, and, honestly, difficulty. 

BUT. I know it's been said many times that BD has an incredibly unique style of learning drill that sort of builds on itself? Is that what happens here, and the last few seasons' visual ingenuity also started out in similar slow fashions?? Or, people more familiar with the design, PLEASE feel free to correct me and tell me what I'm missing in the video!! The brass & percussion book is an absolute insane monster....in fact, I'm going to go ahead and boldly assert that this is a more demanding music book than any corps has put out in recent years. And the visual design just does nothing for me to match that. I mean, truly, the visual design at this point shows the structure of an egg laid, not a home run. So what am I missing?? There's got to be something.

Edited by Jake W.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Jake W. said:

Ok, I've watched that video about six times now, and it has to be said: the visual design is super lackluster. I see almost nothing that matches the INCREDIBLY well-designed and intense music book. Everything flows so stunningly musically and there is SO MUCH INSANE DEMAND....and I get none of that visually at this point. Maybe it's even more glaring following the last three years of visual magic? And I know it's super super early; however, drill design is drill design, and what I see is terribly ineffective (in my mind). As an example, BD had my absolute favorite drill moment last year: the entire ballad matched that gorgeous Valezquez movie piece F**KING PERFECTLY. Starting the movement backhash behind the scaffolding, ending on the front sideline in the company front, the swirling and unfolding and spiraling in the middle, the guard reaching upwards to match that massively exposed impact perfectly....I mean, sheer brilliance. That whole middle movement should be used in classes on how to match drill to music in an utterly perfect way. I don't see anything resembling that same brilliance in this design. It lacks forward movement, purpose, intent, and, honestly, difficulty. 

BUT. I know it's been said many times that BD has an incredibly unique style of learning drill that sort of builds on itself? Is that what happens here, and the last few seasons' visual ingenuity also started out in similar slow fashions?? Or, people more familiar with the design, PLEASE feel free to correct me and tell me what I'm missing in the video!! The brass & percussion book is an absolute insane monster....in fact, I'm going to go ahead and boldly assert that this is a more demanding music book than any corps has put out in recent years. And the visual design just does nothing for me to match that. I mean, truly, the visual design at this point shows the structure of an egg laid, not a home run. So what am I missing?? There's got to be something.

I feel you. 

I always feel this way about BD's visual design in June, though. Just gotta assume they'll build build build. 

Honestly, though, after seeing Bloo's show, I'm pretty shook. I know BD's gonna bring it, but... BD better bring it. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

Guys I'm not too concerned.  Even with Gaines, BD basically two pointed SCV.  Their only placed two in one box in music analysis.  Percussion was straight two's, but its SCV, no real surprise there.  Visual demand does seem a bit lacking (especially compared to Bluecoats), but I think music demand makes it warranted.  I do hope they add some harder moves by the end of the season though to match that HUGE GE score that will come from the east.

• Like 2

I can't believe I'm saying this; but this might actually be my favorite show, this year. If those stairs are the only props they are using coupled with the way they utilize the entire field...this will be a knockout show! In addition, I'm hearing sounds from that hornline that I haven't heard since the '80s (and I mean that in the most positive way). Somewhat reminds me of the Bluecoats "Tilt" show; minimal use of props + great design both musically and visually = one H**l of a killer show! Great job Blue Devils!  

• Like 6