What was the last show that started loud?

It's time to get rid of all the unnecessary announcing. "Is your corps ready"? Have they ever said "no, we need more time"? Also, "DCI is proud to present The X" should be eliminated too after the corps is already performing.

Can't say I disagree, for the most part. Even though Sam makes a good point about the number of times a given corps has not been quite ready to go. (Mostly in the days before pre-shows.)

IMO... the whole pre-show thing.. including the timing and/or appropriateness and wording of any announcements... needs to be addressed.

It's gotten better in recent years... holy mackerel, you had to be there behind a microphone in the early days of what are now the "timed announcements" in what... 2007 or so...it was like the Wild West. LOL. But it is still awkward at times.

In my perfect "I make all the rules for all announcers" world.....slim-to-no chance here.... :tongue: .... all announcements.... corps name/hometown, show theme, drum majors... would be made before a corps starts its pre-show (at an appropriate time as the corps enters the field) .. with the corps' DM (or a show staffer on the sidelines) then signaling the chief judge/show coordinator as to when the "judged portion" of a show is to begin (with a salute, a nod, a hand signal, whatever), and that judge/coordinator then signaling all the judges to proceed.

And if a corps doesn't do a pre-show, this format would work for that, too. The announcements up front... the corps then just starts its show and goes from there.

DCA handled it this way back in the day, when corps were allowed a one-minute warmup... if a corps chose to make it a "moving warmup" and go right into their judged show, the announcements were made up front, the corps then did its warmup thing right into the judged-show thing, with the DM or staffer signaling the chief judge. I liked that format. It certainly all but eliminated the chances of any announcers stepping all over a corps while the corps was playing.

Again, just my opinion.

Edited by Fran Haring

Looking back, I can't remember any shows the past few years that have started with the brass and percussion playing loud. I don't necessarily mean startlingly loud like Blue Devils 1996; something like Crossmen 1991 counts just as much. Which is the most recent one that comes to mind?

I'm not one to bemoan lack of variety in show design, at least not today in 2016, but the fact that every show nowadays starts quietly and/or without the hornline playing doesn't exactly bode well for concerns of "cookie-cutter" designs. If a loud beginning can be effective (and it has been, many times), that should still remain a tool at a design team's disposal.

You raise a point my wife and I made on Facebook. While watching San Antonio, we timed how long it took to get to the first impact for every corps from the first note (and this obviously factored in per shows). It was about 1:45 a corps. Madison was among the fastest, about 40 seconds

• Like 2

Phantom Regiment 2012 started pretty loud with no pre-show.

This might be the answer to the topic title (unless someone finds something more recent).

In my perfect "I make all the rules for all announcers" world.....slim-to-no chance here.... :tongue: .... all announcements.... corps name/hometown, show theme, drum majors... would be made before a corps starts its pre-show (at an appropriate time as the corps enters the field) .. with the corps' DM (or a show staffer on the sidelines) then signaling the chief judge/show coordinator as to when the "judged portion" of a show is to begin (with a salute, a nod, a hand signal, whatever), and that judge/coordinator then signaling all the judges to proceed.

BUY a program to support the show sponsor or sponsoring drum corps....LOL

Cappybara mentioned Madison Scouts 2015 as well.

D'oh. I should watch that show again, I blocked it from my memory because of "Gotta dance" (actually, I don't). C'mon, Scouts.

• Like 2