What was the last show that started loud?

I felt that one was one problem with Blue Knight's show. The pre-show did not really serve as preparation for the intensity of Gorgon. While very atmospheric in and of itself while the corps set up their gear ... it did not not seem to mesh or properly lead into Gorgon. I think they might better have begun in medias res, without any pre-show, right with Gorgon.

Liked just for spelling in medias res correctly. Even in literary articles, it's frequently not.

This is one point I do agree with some of the older fans on, I'm perfectly fine with a great preshoe/built into the first big hit and most of the time that is what really works, but there is an incredible sameness to the pacing of the opening moments of today's shows. Something I really picked up on at the two shows I went to this year. Didn't really ruin anything or hamper my enjoyment, but it'd be cool to see someone do this again if it pertains to the nature of the music.

I think it may have something to do with modern day design...it seems that something interesting needs to happen every 30 seconds to 1 minute...any longer and the show can lose its sense of direction...IMO

I felt that one was one problem with Blue Knight's show. The pre-show did not really serve as preparation for the intensity of Gorgon. While very atmospheric in and of itself while the corps set up their gear ... it did not not seem to mesh or properly lead into Gorgon. I think they might better have begun in medias res, without any pre-show, right with Gorgon.

Gorgon was loud, ugly, and vile. I can't imagine (although I'm obviously not an arranger) that they could have done anything in the pre-show to set up the Gorgon except make it atmospheric and lofty in order to make the Gorgon the ugly and brash surprise it was. Notice the snares... Outstanding ugliness portrayed, IMO.

• Like 1

I think it may have something to do with modern day design...it seems that something interesting needs to happen every 30 seconds to 1 minute...any longer and the show can lose its sense of direction...IMO

And you'd be right. That's what I was taught in a class I took where I'm going to college. Was told there needs to be an impact moment or something that generates higher interest about every 30 seconds to a minute. And the teacher does have a background in drum corps/marching arts in general on the design side.

Edited by DrumManTx