Emergence of the Front Ensemble

Some people will never let that go. Great corps among many that year (us, Bridgemen and Spirit too)...I think doing the exact same show as '79 (check it out some time, that includes drill) didn't help. They did get to do the Olympics, though. OK, the drum solo was different music but the color guard effects were the same. 27th was up over us by 2+ points in drums, and we were up over them by 2+ in horns. That's something you just don't see these days in the 'everyone gets a ribbon, everyone gets a 90 and big spreads shouldn't happen because self esteem' era.

Oddly, I "let it go" on that night in mid August, 1980. But I do have a little quibble with your assessment. The drill was largely the same, but George made some major improvements, particularly in "On the 20th Century," and at the end of "Danny Boy." But I was there as a proud alum that night and gave BD a standing O when they won.

• Like 3

So in another thread, someone mentioned something about the 27th Lancers 1980 show being robbed of the gold so naturally, I had to seek out the show on youtube for a viewing, which I was successful in doing (link is below). I saw from corpsreps that BD won that year but wow, I loved 27th's show. A lot of fun, dynamic music and visuals in there and it just didn't stop. And who doesn't love them some Danny Boy?

There are massive, glaring differences in drum corps then and now as we all know. One of the most striking is that the guard actually marched in addition to tossing and spinning various implements. The drill was largely symmetrical, patterned, shaped and very compact. I really get why old-schoolers think drum corps has gone to pot. I don't share that opinion, but I understand it.

But the thing that struck me the most was the complete lack of a front ensemble. For tone bar type instruments all I could make out were marching glockenspiels. Am I right?

My question: when did front ensembles start to appear? Must have been quite an evolution over time.

If you'd like to take a peek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh1fWtQqXRw

It's likely that I may have made the point of 27th bring robbed, but truthfully with the scoring system used at that time, with the top four being within a point, it could have been anyone's night. I was not at finals in Birmingham. I wanted to go, even went to AAA to get maps, but my parents would not let their 17 year old son drive himself to Birmingham. I wonder why? Actually I can't believe I was ever stupid enough to believe my parents would let me go from the Boston area to Birminghsm in the first place. WGBH Channe, 2 in Boston would be the closest I go to DCI's. However, some people I know who did go to Birmingham thought that while BD, 27th, and Spirit had great runs, Bridgemen had the show of their lifetime that night.

Regarding cranks who think drum corps has gone to Hell in a hand basket, they were around at that time too. Different people sang the praises of different eras.

As far as changes, if you watch the Legacy DVD's and the other DVD's and BluRays in order, you see the changes were gradual and did evolve, so you didn't see huge changes from one year to another. Watch 1974 then watch 2015 and it's a who,e bother story.. I think if you've followed the activity, you can still love a certain era but enjoy what happens today.

Oddly, I "let it go" on that night in mid August, 1980. But I do have a little quibble with your assessment. The drill was largely the same, but George made some major improvements, particularly in "On the 20th Century," and at the end of "Danny Boy." But I was there as a proud alum that night and gave BD a standing O when they won.

Which is a nice gesture. It saddens me to see the lack of sportsmanship amongst spectators these days...it really has become an ugly situation with some. I apologize if my assessment of the year to year seems a bit shallow...even if it was the same, people would be in different spots. Still a new show for them. We did have the ability to watch 2-7 at prelims in Allentown. They did a really spectacular job, very impressive. Some of the crowd was a little over the top that day, lol. Was a great and very competitive era to march and teach in. Really, the pinnacle of the activity IMHO...no offense to today's kids. Much the same as this year, you could have put a few different groups in first and it would be hard to argue. Being my ageout year, I'm glad we came out on top...was a bigger nail biter than even '78.

• Like 3

It's likely that I may have made the point of 27th bring robbed, but truthfully with the scoring system used at that time, with the top four being within a point, it could have been anyone's night. I was not at finals in Birmingham. I wanted to go, even went to AAA to get maps, but my parents would not let their 17 year old son drive himself to Birmingham. I wonder why? Actually I can't believe I was ever stupid enough to believe my parents would let me go from the Boston area to Birminghsm in the first place. WGBH Channe, 2 in Boston would be the closest I go to DCI's. However, some people I know who did go to Birmingham thought that while BD, 27th, and Spirit had great runs, Bridgemen had the show of their lifetime that night.

Regarding cranks who think drum corps has gone to Hell in a hand basket, they were around at that time too. Different people sang the praises of different eras.

As far as changes, if you watch the Legacy DVD's and the other DVD's and BluRays in order, you see the changes were gradual and did evolve, so you didn't see huge changes from one year to another. Watch 1974 then watch 2015 and it's a who,e bother story.. I think if you've followed the activity, you can still love a certain era but enjoy what happens today.

Agreed. Would I like to see G horns and many other aspects of "the old days"? Sure, but you move on. I still love drum corps, and have made the trek to DCI four of the last five years. Already have tix ordered for 2017. Could do without some of the over-electrification of the activity though. :thumbdown:

Funny story along the same vein with yours, we had a couple of Blue Devils B kids whose parents allowed them to take the Greyhound to Birmingham (wtf were they thinking?), hitchhiking to our school and attending DCI. 16 years old... I shouldn't criticize, my parents allowed me to go to Chicago on my own via train (at 16)to see the Park Ridge show in June of 1975. Was a great show, but on further review, what were Mom and Dad smoking? They didn't even drink.

Edited by BDCorno

I like all eras of drum corps. I wish I had known pit was going to emerge. I would have gone all the way to my age out years as I really hated marching. At least I got to watch it evolve.

I think doing the exact same show as '79 (check it out some time, that includes drill) didn't help.

Didn't seem to hurt SCV in 89 doing Phantom for the second year in a row, also with changes like 27th did in 80.

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I think 1982 was the first year in which corps were allowed to "ground" the pit.

I think that's correct. One of the best changes DCI has ever made IMO

Really added to the depth of the arrangements and overall musicality by adding so many more voices and textures to the mix

• Like 1

I like all eras of drum corps. I wish I had known pit was going to emerge. I would have gone all the way to my age out years as I really hated marching. At least I got to watch it evolve.

But you'd have to learn to make ridiculous faces while you played, and bounce up and down with the downbeats. :laughing:

• Like 1

Speaking like a true dino (which I don't qualify to be), I'd love to see a corps do a show, or portion of a show, with this era of drum corps as the framework.

Edited by luv4corps

We had grounded pit in Pride of Cincinnati with concert marimba, xylophone and vibes (crank timps and timbales also) in 1981.