2017 Blue Stars

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I don't buy it. Boston is one of the G7 "rebels" and they're getting their due credit. I don't see why judges would go up to the Blue Stars and be like "f*ck you guys in particular"

dumb conspiracies are dumb conspiracies 

Please don't underestimate that staff change. Granted, you have to give credit where credit is due. Boston is a very good corps this year and no one can take that away with them. But they too know the pains and struggles of having to be twice as good as certain other corps before the judging community will give them that respect. I think it is logical to say that they aren't seeing that struggle this year, and are getting the credit they actually deserve, in part because of who now makes up that staff. 

7 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

My biggest beef is they are hauling ### in the current drill which is causing the lower proficiency and people want more. Like fighting fire with more fire. That kaleidoscope drill, all the rotating lines, and straight jazz running along the back. And I think they have nailed ballad songs 2 years in a row and can't wait to hear that diamond live. 

Right? It reminds me very much of Houdini. That is some intense drill! 

5 minutes ago, TubaJon said:

Please don't underestimate that staff change. Granted, you have to give credit where credit is due. Boston is a very good corps this year and no one can take that away with them. But they too know the pains and struggles of having to be twice as good as certain other corps before the judging community will give them that respect. I think it is logical to say that they aren't seeing that struggle this year, and are getting the credit they actually deserve, in part because of who now makes up that staff. 

Were there some big name staff additions at Crown and Bluecoats that led to them getting more credit in the past 6-8 years?

19 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Were there some big name staff additions at Crown and Bluecoats that led to them getting more credit in the past 6-8 years?

well yes at 'Coats they did accumulate from Cadets costume and guard designer Greg Lagola, Joe Roche, Mike "Fatty" Fanning, Patrick Crowley and all the other drill techs who didn't move from Cadets to Boston for the '16 season. JVD may have written the drill for Tilt and Downside Up but others made it work.  Cadets drill staff was decimated for '16 when Sacktig announced he would not return while tending to Mary. The barn emptied.

Plus Dean Westman, program director, moved from Troopers to Bloo.

Edited by xandandl

44 minutes ago, xandandl said:

well yes at 'Coats they did accumulate from Cadets costume and guard designer Greg Lagola, Joe Roche, Mike "Fatty" Fanning, Patrick Crowley and all the other drill techs who didn't move from Cadets to Boston for the '16 season. JVD may have written the drill for Tilt and Downside Up but others made it work.  Cadets drill staff was decimated for '16 when Sacktig announced he would not return while tending to Mary. The barn emptied.

Plus Dean Westman, program director, moved from Troopers to Bloo.

Bluecoats design has alot of faces from previous groups

Dean background -Dean has been an active instructor and arranger in the drum corps activity for over 20 years. Westman served as Brass Caption Head for the ten-time Drum Corps International World Champion Cadets. He spent seven years as a brass arranger and instructor for the six-time Drum Corps International World Champion Santa Clara Vanguard and taught on the brass staff for the seven-time Drum Corps International World Champion Cavaliers. He was a music consultant for Carolina Crown and was the Brass Arranger and Program Coordinator for the Troopers, leading America’s Corps to their first DCI Finals appearance in 23 years in 2009. In the summer of 2011, Dean instructed the Yokohama Scouts from Yokohama, Japan as they became the first Japanese Drum and Bugle Corps to ever perform at a DCI World Championship. Westman currently serves as Program Coordinator for the Bluecoats.

Jonathan Vanderkolff - In addition to Blast!, for which he won an Emmy Award for choreography, Jonathan was a primary designer for Brass Theater, Shockwave, CyberJam, and M.I.X. He has also been a designer for Emerald Marquis Winter Guard, Northview Winter Guard, Ventures Drum & Bugle Corps, Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps, Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps, Santa Clara Vanguard Winter Guard and the Star of Indiana Drum & Bugle Corps.

Tom Rarick - In 2009, Tom assumed the role of percussion arranger/composer for the Bluecoats, after serving as the front ensemble arranger since 2002. Prior to his involvement with the Bluecoats, he was a marching and staff member with the Cadets of Bergen County

Back to the topic - Many say harder show next year so I am curious harder as in just music (There are way more technical passages and higher partials than 4 years ago)? Harder drill or more body while playing? Design a concept that isnt clear cut storyline leaving interpretation up to the viewer?  I want nothing but success for this group and who knows maybe they will see something and go that's not a bad idea why not try it.

23 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I don't buy it. Boston is one of the G7 "rebels" and they're getting their due credit. I don't see why judges would go up to the Blue Stars and be like "f*ck you guys in particular"

dumb conspiracies are dumb conspiracies 

I agree. If there were conspiracies, Boston would be battling Phantom and BK, not Cadets and Cavies. I think Blue Stars show is great, even though their theme is so tired. Their drill is excellent, IMO. But, I think they are placing where they should be.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2017 at 9:35 PM, TubaJon said:

Its at least nice to see people taking the Stars seriously, finally.

Lets not act like the Stars being under appreciated by the judging community is new. I think most people agree that 2010 deserved a higher placement. When they did ReBourne, the GE judges crapped all over them for that prop and how much of the field it took up, but now groups like the Coats can come out with even bigger props and no judge seems to make a mention on how their props constrain the field. The brass line has never had the credit it deserves. The overall placement of the corps has always been a hindrance to where the guard and even the battery some years should be placing. Thankfully the folks that make up the membership understand that the scores don't dictate your hard work, because year after year, the talent keeps coming. Especially for that guard! 

Am I bitter? Yup... but when I see things like Blue Stars being 10th in guard? Really? And I won't go as far as to say that the Stars and Crossmen absolutely should be beating Phantom, but that gap in score? I don't see it... at all.

And if we want to talk about show designs, Phantom basically married the love theme for years and were able to compete with it. So why is it suddenly a high school show when the Blue Stars do it? I just don't get it. 

Obviously there is work that the corps needs to do as an organization. It isn't a secret that its time to realize that the visual excellence is just not there, and it has been the caption that has been the one behind for years. Granted, the drill this year is harder than what they have been used to, thanks to Ford being back. And I'd say those transit are definitely not on par, but we aren't looking at a tragic mess either. 

All in all, I should probably just hit the backspace button a bunch of times until the screen goes blank. I just needed to vent I suppose, which is always a great way to reintroduce yourself for the first time in a year to DCP!

I'm sorry but when have the Stars ever been underappreciated by the judging community. Just because you don't agree with their guard placing 10th or their 8th place finish in 2010, doesn't mean those weren't fair placements. You're not a qualified judge and neither am I. Could the Stars have placed 7th in 2010? Sure. Could they have placed 7th last year? Sure. I wouldn't be arguing against if if they did, but I'm not arguing against it because they didn't either. 

And if we talk about show designs, the 2017 Blue Stars show design is so tired. Really Star-Crossed? Been there, done that 100 times. I like the Stars show this year because of the great drill, but lets not slam Phantom for doing a tired theme then praise the Stars for doing the same thing. 

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I'm sorry but when have the Stars ever been underappreciated by the judging community. Just because you don't agree with their guard placing 10th or their 8th place finish in 2010, doesn't mean those weren't fair placements. You're not a qualified judge and neither am I. Could the Stars have placed 7th in 2010? Sure. Could they have placed 7th last year? Sure. I wouldn't be arguing against if if they did, but I'm not arguing against it because they didn't either. 

And if we talk about show designs, the 2017 Blue Stars show design is so tired. Really Star-Crossed? Been there, done that 100 times. I like the Stars show this year because of the great drill, but lets not slam Phantom for doing a tired theme than praise the Stars for doing the same thing. 

Spot on.

and for what it's worth, both Phantom and Blue Stars, as indicated by my signature, have two of my favorite shows this year, tired theme or not. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

And there is a new transition debuting tonight from part 3 into part 4. 

Embrace the process FCO!

You can almost count on the Blue Stars to make the changes they need to make every year to max out the show.