What Percussion Scoring System would you Prefer?

Percussion Judging System Options  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What Percussion Judging System would you prefer?

• Only 1 Judge on the FIELD
    • Only 1 Judge in the BOX
    • 2 Judges: 1 Judge on the FIELD & 1 Judge in the BOX (Current System)
    • 2 Judges: 1 Battery Judge on the FIELD & 1 Front Ensemble Judge on the FIELD
    • 2 Judges: 1 Battery Judge in the BOX & 1 Front Ensemble Judge in the BOX

I think the current system is fine. However, I think three judges on finals week would be most ideal in a perfect world.

1 Field Battery, 1 Field Front Ensemble, and 1 Full Percussion Ensemble Box

• Like 3

i think we need at least 4. one to obstruct drill on side one, another to do the same on side 2, one for the front ensemble, and one in box.

we should also be sure that both the MA and GE2 judges are percussionists -- even if they've never stood in front of a brass line in their lives.

at least one of the visual judges should be a percussionist as well to be sure to credit all the percussion drill and front ensemble head bobbing.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

i think we need at least 4. one to obstruct drill on side one, another to do the same on side 2, one for the front ensemble, and one in box.

we should also be sure that both the MA and GE2 judges are percussionists -- even if they've never stood in front of a brass line in their lives.

at least one of the visual judges should be a percussionist as well to be sure to credit all the percussion drill and front ensemble head bobbing.

Finally! You're starting to talk rationally. I thought I'd never see the day when you'd come out of the dark...

( :tounge2: )

• Like 2

I think the front ensemble judge should make an effort to pick up and rearrange the location of the auxiliary percussion equipment throughout the show to make it "interesting" for the players. They should also switch mallet bags between instruments like the vibes an bells at random intervals throughout the performance..

And oh yes, as they wander past the mixing board, they should switch the cables around occasionally, and make random level adjustments..

• Like 1

I voted for the current system, but if there was an option for "other" I would have selected that option. I can remember back in the day when color guard was given two points of the total score, but no one believed that some of the great corps with equally great color guards, 27th, Phantom, Cavies, BD, Santa Clara, etc., were successful on music and marching alone and those guards were a huge factor in their success. As the scoring evolved, the role of the guard in the total score became more important.Fast forward to today, we see front ensembles are becoming a huge part of the show for more reasons than music. I love taking photos at shows, and a few days ago I was looking at shots from 2011. Crown was animated with its Rach Star. With the others the musicianship and intensity of front ensemble performers could be seen in their faces, but they were doing what was standard. Today it seems as if the pit is just as choreographed and designed as the rest of the corps. Also we see a wide variety of instruments in the pit, not all of ehich are percussion. So I think we need battery judges on the field and in the box and front ensemble judges on the field and in the box.