Is Atlanta in or out?

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I love the "dry heat" explanation.  My oven is a dry heat.  Hot is hot, dry or "wet".

I'll play softball here in 105 temps, twice a week and have no issues.  Back East, I'd have problems in 90 degrees and the dew point in the high 70's.

51 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I'll play softball here in 105 temps, twice a week and have no issues.  Back East, I'd have problems in 90 degrees and the dew point in the high 70's.

That would put the temp feel at 106 degrees.  That would be hot.  Hotter than your 105.  I used to live in St. Louis.  The heat index would rise to 115 in the summer.  That would be unbearable there or anywhere it got to 115, dry or not.

4 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

That would put the temp feel at 106 degrees.  That would be hot.  Hotter than your 105.  I used to live in St. Louis.  The heat index would rise to 115 in the summer.  That would be unbearable there or anywhere it got to 115, dry or not.

I flew home from one of the Kansas City championships on TWA with a stop at St. Louis airport; while there the macadam buckled due to the summer heat and delayed my last flight leg by several hours as we had to wait for the runway to be fixed.

3 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I flew home from one of the Kansas City championships on TWA with a stop at St. Louis airport; while there the macadam buckled due to the summer heat and delayed my last flight leg by several hours as we had to wait for the runway to be fixed.

Stupidly I tried to play golf after work one night in similar heat....I buckled.  Cold beer didn't help.

14 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

I'm not sure where you hail from, but this is the South.  We get our Winter exercise running back and forth to our thermostats to switch from A/C to heat and then back again several times a day. 

So true. A couple weeks ago after the snowstorm went through we had a day where it was 30 degrees at 7 AM when I left for work, and 80 degrees at 4 PM when I got out. And there was still snow on the ground. Typical North Carolina weather.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beckham said:

So true. A couple weeks ago after the snowstorm went through we had a day where it was 30 degrees at 7 AM when I left for work, and 80 degrees at 4 PM when I got out. And there was still snow on the ground. Typical North Carolina weather.

Yep -- Georgia is much like NC but without all the snow.  (I grew up in NC -- Go Wolfpack!)

20 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Yep, turf in STL area generally reaches about 120 degrees...I speak from experience.  Marching on that during multiple weeks in the summer, it quite literally burns the soles off your shoes.

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

Yep, turf in STL area generally reaches about 120 degrees...I speak from experience.  Marching on that during multiple weeks in the summer, it quite literally burns the soles off your shoes.

The year Nationals were in KC, the turf temp reached 145 degrees (or so we were told).  It was a time when some corps grounded cymbals and some sopranos (on stands).  Cymbalists burned their hands and soprano - players couldn't play, the cymbals and horns were so ridiculously hot.  That was a week when for three weeks or tour, wherever we were, it was over 100 degrees every day.  Even in Montreal.  That was when we instituted a water break every 20 minutes and maxed daytime rehearsal to 2 hours max in the morning only.

22 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

The year Nationals were in KC, the turf temp reached 145 degrees (or so we were told).  It was a time when some corps grounded cymbals and some sopranos (on stands).  Cymbalists burned their hands and soprano - players couldn't play, the cymbals and horns were so ridiculously hot.  That was a week when for three weeks or tour, wherever we were, it was over 100 degrees every day.  Even in Montreal.  That was when we instituted a water break every 20 minutes and maxed daytime rehearsal to 2 hours max in the morning only.

Yep that Missouri weather is a bear.

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

I was part of the field committee back in the '80's when DCI tried doing an outdoor St. Louis regional at the field used by the St. Louis Cardinals (football); before the show was to kick off a thermometer reading was take one foot off the turf. 120 I recall. Show was postponed 4 hours: but that was when the front came through and with it tornadic winds, lightening, and thunder. No more regional. The Football Cardinals didn't stay longer and the Rams didn't stay long.