Is Atlanta in or out?

29 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I was part of the field committee back in the '80's when DCI tried doing an outdoor St. Louis regional at the field used by the St. Louis Cardinals (football); before the show was to kick off a thermometer reading was take one foot off the turf. 120 I recall. Show was postponed 4 hours: but that was when the front came through and with it tornadic winds, lightening, and thunder. No more regional. The Football Cardinals didn't stay longer and the Rams didn't stay long.

Yep, STL people are sleeping easily knowing they are playing pretty badly in LA now XD.   Weather is always brutal in the area.

22 hours ago, xandandl said:

I was part of the field committee back in the '80's when DCI tried doing an outdoor St. Louis regional at the field used by the St. Louis Cardinals (football); before the show was to kick off a thermometer reading was take one foot off the turf. 120 I recall. Show was postponed 4 hours: but that was when the front came through and with it tornadic winds, lightening, and thunder. No more regional. The Football Cardinals didn't stay longer and the Rams didn't stay long.

But the Rams played in a dome in STL.

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

and fought with BOA for field time.

Cant wait to see them tear that field down.  Marched on it a few times and the turf is discolored and falling apart at the seams.  Not to mention the concrete ring of death....

22 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Cant wait to see them tear that field down.  Marched on it a few times and the turf is discolored and falling apart at the seams.  Not to mention the concrete ring of death....

The turf is a mess because not only was football played on it, they also had other events in there (like auto shows) and didn't protect the turf at all.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2016 at 7:00 PM, corpsband said:

did a bit of snooping around.

appears the stadium will be done by the (revised) June 1st completion date.

of course that has no bearing on whether or not DCI can afford to host an event there if the rates are higher than anticipated.

webcam pic from inside the stadium yesterday. structural steel is largely done. things will fly once they get those roof supports in the center jacked down.

4I8LCLw.jpg

Or not. :)

So glad DCI didn't book the new stadium for this year's Atlanta regional, since the opening date has now been pushed back (again), this time to late August.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/mercedes-benz-stadium-opening-pushed-back-again/wLnfyURmUXYvGcj6iaROMM/?ecmp=socialflow_ajclife

If you can only bet on one thing: always bet on delay in construction.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2017 at 9:21 AM, geluf said:

If you can only bet on one thing: always bet on delay in construction.

Almost always true.  Luckily the exception was the I-85 bridge repair. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Almost always true.  Luckily the exception was the I-85 bridge repair. 

The bridge repair scenario just proves another axiom:  throw enough money at anything and it can be done faster than you think.  I think the staff at Boston is proof of that.