Best Drill

What is the corps in Lance's 24 count photos?

Cavaliers 1992

• Like 1

Geez, is everyone touchy or what? Not criticizing the practice, just pointing out the stark difference in the approach that Sacktig takes with hornlines, as opposed to Crown's style lately. Crown does some amazing stuff brass-wise, and most times it requires certain proximity and movement restrictions to carry off. If they're able to take a huge step into a completely different approach and maintain the quality of the horn performance, then I'll certainly give them props. Sorry some of you have to automatically jump all over any comment that could remotely be construed as criticism, and pile on simply due to "BD" in my handle. I guess just like Facebook over here, it's not possible to have a mature discussion. Whoops! I'm sorry...I forgot this was DCP.

i think you replied to the wrong person. tesmusic made the comment on your handle and criticize BD. I just pointed out it was a bit of lure on the end of the line.

anyway ill respond -- i'd disagree that the most impressive stuff Crown does is standing still. in fact i think they probably play technical stuff on the move as much or more than anyone. of course they do create those moments where they want you to focus on the just the brass playing by standing still. but they play hard stuff and move all the time (ok - now ill jump on BD) unlike some corps who cleverly interleave tacit mover and standing still players to give the appearance of moving while playing hard stuff on the go. now that i've properly criticized BD feel free to flame away.

Edited by corpsband

(ok - now ill jump on BD) unlike some corps who cleverly interleave tacit mover and standing still players to give the appearance of moving while playing hard stuff on the go. now that i've properly criticized BD feel free to flame away.

The truth shall set you free!

The truth shall set you free!

BD plays the game (minimize exposure to error) better than anyone. I like a lot of what they do. But i hate all the subtle ways they constantly play it safe. I enjoy the older Cadets philosophy -- we're riding down the hill without touching the brakes. We may crash but it will be exciting as hell.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

Currently? Pete Weber - SCV

I'm often baffled why Weber's work doesn't get the credit he deserves. The first time I saw Madison 05 I was absolutely blown away, and then his work with SCV from 06 through 09 especially is mesmerizing. I was a huge Gaines fan during the Cavaliers big run, but Weber's work immediately made me rethink my stance on follow the leader drill.

• Like 1

i think you replied to the wrong person. tesmusic made the comment on your handle and criticize BD. I just pointed out it was a bit of lure on the end of the line.

anyway ill respond -- i'd disagree that the most impressive stuff Crown does is standing still. in fact i think they probably play technical stuff on the move as much or more than anyone. of course they do create those moments where they want you to focus on the just the brass playing by standing still. but they play hard stuff and move all the time (ok - now ill jump on BD) unlike some corps who cleverly interleave tacit mover and standing still players to give the appearance of moving while playing hard stuff on the go. now that i've properly criticized BD feel free to flame away.

Annnd the effort to start a fight continues. I never criticized the practice of selectively parking assets on the field for technical purposes. To harken back to the original post, my point is that Cadets have typically gone out of their way to take a "fire drill" approach to drill design. Crown hasn't, though they have made big strides in the movement department in recent years. It's a big difference in style, and I was wondering how it would shake out. I guess you're a bitter Crown homer and figured you'd troll me...not taking the bait. It's really unfortunate, as I have a lot of respect for the Crown organization, and have met many classy people that are associated with it. Have also had friends and acquaintances that worked with the Crown, too. For the record, I'd have been fine with them (or BD) winning this year. I felt that the two had the best shows and performances. Would be nice if you and the other trolls had a bit more respect the other direction, but I get the psychology of the situation...people have been hating on BD since the last couple of years I marched. Jealousy is nothing new. Carry on.

I'm often baffled why Weber's work doesn't get the credit he deserves. The first time I saw Madison 05 I was absolutely blown away, and then his work with SCV from 06 through 09 especially is mesmerizing. I was a huge Gaines fan during the Cavaliers big run, but Weber's work immediately made me rethink my stance on follow the leader drill.

Couldn't agree more. He's put together some pretty amazing packages over the past five years or so, and this year was no exception. Certainly top-tier in terms of drill design (conventional), but also very innovative.

• Like 1

BD plays the game (minimize exposure to error) better than anyone. I like a lot of what they do. But i hate all the subtle ways they constantly play it safe. I enjoy the older Cadets philosophy -- we're riding down the hill without touching the brakes. We may crash but it will be exciting as hell.

Please list all the "subtle ways", including examples. Seriously, I'm legitimately interested in your observations. Please.

Wow lots of mudslinging

Crown just parks and blows

Cadets haven't had a good guard in ages

Such silly commentary

I hope cadets build on last years much more expressive guard and I am sure crown will amaze us yet again

Best drill?

Star closing 1990

Cadets 1998

And many many more