Best Drill

Oh! I had not seen the message sent to me! Sorry, was on another forum, but thank you.

I wish Sacktig would come on here and give us all a long detailed account of how he went about creating this masterpiece.

Not only was the drill excellent, but the guard program was just as good. Everything about this show fit very well together.

I didn't feel this way about the 2000 show - the guard didn't do much for me on that one. Everything else but the guard really. I liked the guard better in 2001.

The 98 guard was spectacular (although they did not have a great run at finals). This is probably my favorite Cadets show ever. The contrast with the rest of DCI was astounding. They made everyone else that year look and sound ordinary.

This show is in part why I'm so excited about Crown this year. It was actually a very Crown-like production. I honestly think we're going to see "Sacktig Unleashed" in 2017.

Well then I hope The Cadets go back to what has always worked well for them - and what worked well for them was something that gave Sacktig a chance to show off his skills. Give him an open palette, like the 1998 show among others, and let him lead the show. They haven't had a good guard in a long time - so go to your strengths - drill, brass, emotion (and not sappy emotion).

Can't wait to see what they have in store - after last year's abysmal score (not saying they deserved it, Tekk) they pretty much can't go anywhere but up. They still have a corps that can win a title, despite how they judges put them this past season. They just need the horse to get them there.

That being said, so many corps now have a chance to medal. 6 corps right now can say that they have a legitimate shot at a medal.

To get back on topic, as good as Stonehenge was, best closing drill has to go to Star 1991. The cross-to-cross simply can't be beat.

Well then I hope The Cadets go back to what has always worked well for them - and what worked well for them was something that gave Sacktig a chance to show off his skills. Give him an open palette, like the 1998 show among others, and let him lead the show. They haven't had a good guard in a long time - so go to your strengths - drill, brass, emotion (and not sappy emotion).

Can't wait to see what they have in store - after last year's abysmal score (not saying they deserved it, Tekk) they pretty much can't go anywhere but up. They still have a corps that can win a title, despite how they judges put them this past season. They just need the horse to get them there.

That being said, so many corps now have a chance to medal. 6 corps right now can say that they have a legitimate shot at a medal.

To get back on topic, as good as Stonehenge was, best closing drill has to go to Star 1991. The cross-to-cross simply can't be beat.

You do know Sacktig is with Crown now, right? And I fully expect him to be turned loose!

As for the Cadets of 2017 -- they have challenges :-/ I'm sure they will work them out eventually.

Star '91 was amazing (especially when you consider how he created that "on the fly" if you will).

After last year, I really am keeping an indifferent attitude toward Cadets this year. I was extremely disappointed. I hope they recover this upcoming season, but there are just way too many staff changes in the past two years. I find it hard t win a championship or remain competitive with that many changes over two years.

Cadets 1998 (or even 1997) is something I would love to see again, but I realize this is a different time and those types of shows don't really work for this era.

OMG no I did not know Sacktig is writing for Crown this season - had no idea! Sorry!! Wow this really changes things.

Cadets will be fine.

Now I'm worried how will Crown do with a Cadets drill?? Kinda funny to think about.

• Like 1

I'm pretty partial, having marched the show, but I really liked the drill that Madison performed in 1997. Much of the drill wasn't shown on the video due to close-ups, but I thought it was very effective. In particular the wave forms, the outline of Lake Mendota, the dove, etc.

OMG no I did not know Sacktig is writing for Crown this season - had no idea! Sorry!! Wow this really changes things.

Cadets will be fine.

Now I'm worried how will Crown do with a Cadets drill?? Kinda funny to think about.

While I'm sure there will still be plenty of blind pass-throughs, Crown won't be doing "Cadets drill." I think Jeff has more range than that and I expect something quite different. Can't wait to see it!!

In Summary, some of the best drills are those written by Zingali, Brubaker, Gains, and Sylvester.

Additional all-time great writers are Sacktig (Cadets), Weber (SCV), John Vanderkoff (Star, Bluecoats).

Obviously there are many fabulous writers of drill. It's usually a matter of opinion and personal preference.

I feel as though Garfield 1984, SCV 1985, SCV 1987, and Garfield 1987 are the best drills I saw in the 1980s.

In the 1990s it was Star of Indiana 1990, 1991, and Cadets 1998. Cavaliers 2002, 2005, and BD 1997 come close.

In the 2000-2009 time frame I think it was Cadets 2000, Cavaliers 2002, Cavaliers 2004, Cavaliers 2006, and SCV 2009.

In the 2010 - 2016 period I'd say Cadets 2011, and most SCV drills.

• Like 2