Another Rumor Dies.

Ghost

The post (#15 in this thread) that I made at 6:07 tonight, is a direct quote from Boston's Facebook page.

Not sure if you can see this unless you like the page, but here is the link you requested:

https://www.facebook.com/BostonCrusaders/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

lot of assumptions there in your tea leave reading. cadets and crown *are* up in NE for the 4th. but Crown needs to boogie down to lexington,sc for a home show on the 7th. that means they have to travel 950 miles after the show on the 4th. they're not hanging around so the 5th and 6th are travel days. pretty sure they have a limit of 350 miles a day or something with their leased coaches. cadets, surf and spirit are also at the crownbeat. so there's no way they could do a show on the 5th unless it was miles south.

the clifton NJ show is on the 2nd. so no way for BAC to have a show then.

so....looks to me like logistically there's not a day for an extra show in NE. but hey -- im just reading the schedule. not like this is the sort of thing fans hear about. anyway -- whole thing sounds kind of unlikely to me.

Edited by corpsband

The rumors only applied to the 2 shows that Boston has historically hosted.

And if one reads between the lines of the Boston's statement on Facebook, one could reasonably conclude that the rumor was accurate. imho

(edited to clarify my last sentence.)

OK... thanks for the clarification!!!

lot of assumptions there in your tea leave reading. cadets and crown *are* up in NE for the 4th. but Crown needs to boogie down to lexington,sc for a home show on the 7th. that means they have to travel 950 miles after the show on the 4th. they're not hanging around so the 5th and 6th are travel days. pretty sure they have a limit of 350 miles a day or something with their leased coaches. cadets, surf and spirit are also at the crownbeat. so there's no way they could do a show on the 5th unless it was miles south.

the clifton NJ show is on the 2nd. so no way for BAC to have a show then.

so....looks to me like logistically there's not a day for an extra show in NE. but hey -- im just reading the schedule. not like this is the sort of thing fans hear about. anyway -- whole thing sounds kind of unlikely to me.

edit: disregard

Edited by Liahona

The rumors only applied to the 2 shows that Boston has historically hosted.

And if one reads between the lines of the Boston's statement on Facebook, one could reasonably conclude that the rumor was accurate. imho

(edited to clarify my last sentence.)

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I know there was speculation this could happen, but if you look at the calendar, it would be difficult to schedule a third Boston area show this year. Lynn and Cranston have seven WC corps. They should be successful shows. Now let's just say BAC scheduled a show for July 5th, Crown and I believe Crosmen usually give a free day in Boston. It would need to be in the 5th so they could be in South Carolina for the 7th. That drops a roster to five. If one or two other corps decided to give a day off, it would be too small a roster to attract a crowd that would make the show profitable, especially if they used Boston College Stadium again.

Two questions remain:

Will there be a Tanglewood experience this summer so Crown (SCV, Cavs) will finally get to take the stage? Or has Muncie, Indiana now knocked Lenox from musical prominence?

Edited by xandandl

Two questions remain:

Will there be a Tanglewood experience this summer so Crown (SCV, Cavs) will finally get to take the stage? Or has Muncie, Indiana now knocked Lenox from musical prominence?

Seems like the BSO member initiated the whole the thing. Maybe ask them?

From here:

"BSO trumpeter and drum corps alumnus Michael Martin, whose father Freddy Martin, one of the genre’s most esteemed figures, was a conductor and composer on tonight’s program."

Edited by corpsband

Two questions remain:

Thst's a good question. My guess is no. While many involved from the BSO side have drum corps connections outside of Boston Crusaders, the first drum corps appearance at Tanglewood was part of BAC's 75th anniversary celebration. So I think the drum corps connection was due in no small part to Boston Crusaders. That being said, I subscribe to the BSO and get information about Tanglewood, and prior to 2015 the brass section did have concerts during the summer and while I am not certain, the brass concerts may have been called the Brass Spectacular, but I thought it took place later in the season. Since the brass concerts are a tradition, and drum corps is now an addition to this tradition, it may happen, but my guess is no.

Seems like the BSO member initiated the whole the thing. Maybe ask them?

From here:

"BSO trumpeter and drum corps alumnus Michael Martin, whose father Freddy Martin, one of the genre’s most esteemed figures, was a conductor and composer on tonight’s program."

Mike Roylance (former BAC brass staff member early 2000's, I believe) currently the BSO's principal tuba, also helped to make the event happen.

Tim K is correct when he states: "While many involved from the BSO side have drum corps connections outside of Boston Crusaders, the first drum corps appearance at Tanglewood (along with the July 4th concert with the Boston Pops) was part of BAC's 75th anniversary celebration. So I think the drum corps connection was due in no small part to Boston Crusaders."

There will be no corps involved in this year's "Brass Extravaganza", as of this date.

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/85480

(the part in italics, was added by me)

Edited by Barneveld