2017 Uniform Thread

46 minutes ago, Lance said:

they're costumes.

if a bunch of nyc cops were wearing that thing that bloo wore last year, it'd be pretty funny to refer it as a uniform. 

i'm sure you'd still have some pedants running around saying "no, no, that's a UNIFORM", but it would result in laughter from all rational adults who understand that words we use have connotations that cannot be dismissed. 

you may now consult your dictionaries and pretend that connotation means nothing. 

Right, they'd be much better off wearing something like this:
9f8d9c4da612940db1ff8b855749f8eb.png

Not all uniforms have to be a macho military look

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

And yet Motionhouse (the English dance group from which Bluecoats took their ideas for Down Side Up) doesn't feel it has to wear spandex in order to perform.

motionhouse-s-the-voyage-668113004.jpg

Other than Choris Line, most dance routines like this probably wouldn't go over well if everyone was dressed the same.  Yes, DCI CG have shown more variety in "uniforms/custumes" over the years, but the the rest of the corps usually is uniformed in their apparel.

I posted the picture to point out that the dance group is doing the same (or more intensive) movements as Bluecoats, while wearing suits and dresses.  The argument that Bluecoats had to wear their spandex to accommodate their movements is without merit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I posted the picture to point out that the dance group is doing the same (or more intensive) movements as Bluecoats, while wearing suits and dresses.  The argument that Bluecoats had to wear their spandex to accommodate their movements is without merit.

Dance groups usually show more skin.

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Dance groups usually show more skin.

The 1992 Blue Devils laugh at you.

• Like 2

I wonder if the whole spandex thing was a cost cutting effort since they spend a lot on sound (of which I am told it is something of a wonder to experience live).

VK's uniforms didn't seem too expensive either but was effective in their show design.

Edited by flammaster

19 minutes ago, Spandy said:

Not all uniforms have to be a macho military look

something i neither said not implied in any way.

ask somebody what the difference between a journal and a diary is, and they'll have all kinds of answers.

the two words literally (denotation) mean the same thing. jour and dia both mean day, and both a diary and journal are for writing about your day. the differences people assign to them are not literal/denotative, they're connotative. and they're important for common understanding.

it's why you'd sound like an idiot calling a bunch of nyc cops wearing the exact same polka dot dress a uniform. technically, it's true, but nobody who uses language functionally would call it that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lance said:

something i neither said not implied in any way.

ask somebody what the difference between a journal and a diary is, and they'll have all kinds of answers.

the two words literally (denotation) mean the same thing. jour and dia both mean day, and both a diary and journal are for writing about your day. the differences people assign to them are not literal/denotative, they're connotative. and they're important for common understanding.

it's why you'd sound like an idiot calling a bunch of nyc cops wearing the exact same polka dot dress a uniform. technically, it's true, but nobody who uses language functionally would call it that. 

So let me parse your logic for a second here, because I'm not sure I'm following. Plaid shorts and skirts wouldn't be considered a uniform for NYC cops, but it's fine as a uniform for schoolchildren. But because white pants and spandex shirts also wouldn't be a uniform for NYC cops, that makes it not a uniform for anybody?

There's a reason every synonym you find in a thesauarus won't be appropriate for what you're trying to convey to an audience in a particular statement. They'll usually all have unique connotations that are common to a population when they're actually used. Uniform is a synonym for costume in a lot of thesaurases, for example. The choice you make when using the words is based on context, and it's easy to tell when somebody is using a word out of context. 

• Like 2