2017 Uniform Thread

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

Using Spirit as an example, headwear for the "dance" based uniforms is going to be problematic.  Small and short hats (a la WGI) don't tend to project well from the center of football fields, and big (traditional) hats will look extra clunky against sleek dance suits. Not sure where this is headed, honestly...

While Spirit's prototype does look vaguely like the Riddler there, I can see where it might look pretty cool from the field, especially if they use a lot more body movement.  Kind of like a slim version of the Bluecoats from 2007-2012.

Mike

Maybe the hat won't really be a hat but they will teach Crown how ultimately a game of frisbee mid show should be played.

Edited by xandandl

14 hours ago, awunderlich said:

I like the concept

Guards and indoor groups figured this out years ago. Show based uniforms help tell a story, and if done right, help with the final score. 

I think that is the conventional spin, but not necessarily proven by the evidence.   Please tell me in what manner these show-based uniforms helped Oregon tell the story in 2013 of  "My Heart, My Battle, My Soul"

48242026E.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I think that is the conventional spin, but not necessarily proven by the evidence.   Please tell me in what manner these show-based uniforms helped Oregon tell the story in 2013 of  "My Heart, My Battle, My Soul"

48242026E.jpg

The use of unifforms to assist in telling the story has changed quite a bit these past four years.

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

The use of unifforms to assist in telling the story has changed quite a bit these past four years.

so a blue line with a loop in it really helped tell a story called down side up?!?

2 minutes ago, Eleran said:

so a blue line with a loop in it really helped tell a story called down side up?!?

I have no idea.  I'll let the Michael Cesario's of DCI answer that one.  Their uniform/custume of last year, as mentioned by others on DCP, was probably designed for ease of movement.

Edited by Ghost

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I have no idea.  I'll let the Michael Cesario's of DCI answer that one.  Their uniform/custume of last year, as mentioned by others on DCP, was probably designed for ease of movement.

And yet Motionhouse (the English dance group from which Bluecoats took their ideas for Down Side Up) doesn't feel it has to wear spandex in order to perform.

motionhouse-s-the-voyage-668113004.jpg

• Like 2

they're costumes.

if a bunch of nyc cops were wearing that thing that bloo wore last year, it'd be pretty funny to refer it as a uniform. 

i'm sure you'd still have some pedants running around saying "no, no, that's a UNIFORM", but it would result in laughter from all rational adults who understand that words we use have connotations that cannot be dismissed. 

you may now consult your dictionaries and pretend that connotation means nothing. 

Edited by Lance

9 minutes ago, Lance said:

they're costumes.

if a bunch of nyc cops were wearing that thing that bloo wore last year, it'd be pretty funny to refer it as a uniform. 

i'm sure you'd still have some pedants running around saying "no, no, that's a UNIFORM", but it would result in laughter from all rational adults who understand that words we use have connotations that cannot be dismissed. 

you may now consult your dictionaries and pretend that connotation means nothing. 

in consulting the dictionary, which is the proper protocol to research first, "uniform," "costume," or "connotation" ???

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

There are two types of shows: story and concept. Downside Up was more of a concept show. There was no story or anything. As for the uniform, it was designed to allow the members to move more freely than they would in wool uniforms. The blue squiggle was just to add some design to the plain white uniform

• Like 1