Drum Corps = Politics

It was " politics " in the VFW/ AL  that gave birth to DCI itself.

The VFW/AL  I'm sure were not too happy with The Combine playing " politics " with them, and threatening to leave... which they ultimately did.... and formed DCI in 1972.

I'm sure DCI was not too happy when the G7 Corps attempted to play " politics " with DCI and threatened to leave DCI a few years ago. I'm pretty sure all the other Corps in DCI did not consider that  very " nice " either.

" politics " is played at every worksite, every school, every office, every military barracks, every sports field, every DCI, every WGI, every BOA , every governmental body, every prison, every convent, every monastery, every mosque,  etc..... EVERYWHERE.... every day throughout the world too.. Even " nice " people learn how to play the art skills in life's game of " politics " well. Or else.....

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

" politics " is played at every worksite, every school, every office, etc every day throughout the world too. " Nice " people oftentimes never saw it coming.

Part of your "etc." has to be reality TV.  Probably "Survivor" is at the top of this list.

• Like 1

Read over the holidays Building the Green Machine by Colt Foutz (here at Amazon) and covering the history of the Cavaliers and much of early drum corps and DCI as well. It's rah rah Cavies and largely a view of things from Don Warren. Still a fine read for any fan of drum corps.

One possible conclusion is that corps and their history have never been without the drama of politics. Some very well-meaning pursuits and debates; some very petty squabbles.

And also as a BTW: Madison really did lose out last year only because politics favored Boston, right? Was someone disputing that? (Just kidding.)

" politics " in DCI allowed one Corps with a found overage marcher for the season to have their Corps disqualified at Championships ( Muchachos, '75) while " politics " in DCI allowed another Corps with TWO overage marchers all season, to compete for, and win ( minus the 2 overage marchers ), a DCI title at Championships ( SCV, in '89 ). The Muchachos at the time had no political leverage, nor cache in DCI.... SCV's Corps Director  ( Gayle Royer )was a founding DCI Member who was instrumental in the idea and the creation of DCI itself with a handful of others, and thus his personal expulsion of the 2 marchers a mere few hours before Finals, was sufficient. No formal DCI investigation by DCI was even initiated on the matter however, and no adjustments in won and placement show fees by SCV was ever undertaken , despite the fact that SCV competed illegally under the rules throughout 95% of that season. Learning to have political cache is vital to one's success in life. I know, no surprise. But it probably needs to be said as a reminder anyway of its importance to one's career success in life

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Hamilton became US. President.

You may want to double check your sources on this one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

You may want to double check your sources on this one.

I was caffeine deprived when I posted that incorrect sentence. Thats my sorryazz excuse. You on the other hand, seemed fully awake and alert to that detail inaccuracy, so I thank you for reminding me to get my java fix, and fix my schitt.  Hamilton was mortally wounded by Burr.. Adams became President.( not  Hamilton  )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Is this in regard to the super productive DCP Facebook post about DCI Directors being glorified band directors?

• Like 1

I know literally nothing about politics in DCI, but I'd assume that the power sharing (so all meaningful decision making) is incredibly unbalanced. I wonder if it's the same of other similar non-profits. 

Edited by Lance
deleted a bunch that's unrelated to the OPs subject matter
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

I know literally nothing about politics in DCI, but I'd assume that the power sharing (so all meaningful decision making) is incredibly unbalanced. I wonder if it's the same of other similar non-profits. 

My experience, non-profits experience more internal political struggles than for-profits. NPOs add in that element of "passion" more-so than FPOs, which leads to emotions, which leads to anger, which leads to the dark side, blah blah blah Vader.

That said, of all the niche activities I've been a part of, the most passionate ideas and equally ridiculous pain points come from drum corps people. We're a special group.