Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

15 hours ago, Liahona said:

For those that were doubting the veracity of the claim yesterday of the deleted forum post (unprecedented?) and replies that "Carolina Crown Asks Kids To Pay Back Scholarship $$$?" ...here you go...here is your PROOF that you requested.  I am not privy to any details of any contract so I'm not going to comment on that...but again I will say it is unconscionable IMO.

Maybe the terms say if you do not uphold your end, we will revoke our end. 

Edited by JohnD
Link to personal correspondence removed. Used without author's permission.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, craiga said:

So, after demanding "proof", you then dismiss it.  Ok..fine.  No, it's not the Salem Witch Trials....just a terrible way to run a youth activity.  And for the record, this is not just "one kid".

You get how contracts work right? 

Man Boston snags big name staffers, get a ton of interest and suddenly supporters get as sensitive as YEA Borg or Madison alums in the forums 

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

apples and oranges

Is it though? DCI has a policy where kids that owe money to a corps can't move to another group until they hand their responsibilities, whether you call it a grant, scholarship, financial assistance, but it's apples and oranges?

I guess because mommy and daddy don't read their agreements and don't wish to handle their responsibilities, it makes Crown the evil empire for enforcing DCI's rule.

Here's to hoping these kids go off to Boston and don't pay their bills there as well, and then complain when they're asked to be accountable and responsible, right?

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Maybe the terms say if you do not uphold your end, we will revoke our end. 

Which is so very evil of Crown. How dare they ask people to hold up their end of the bargain. These families should be able to need assistance from Crown, agreeing to pay it back, per the contract, and then be able to move on and potentially do the same to Boston.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I've stayed pretty quiet on this one but my only thought is this.  

If it's part of a contract they signed, so be it.  They can ask for their money back.  But the idea of asking for money back you gave someone to help them march with you because they go somewhere else doesn't sit well with me personally.  I dunno.   Also it is interesting that yesterday they didn't give out scholarships which based on this they clearly do.   

Those are my only thoughts on this and all I have to say.  

Wow, just wow.

I agree with your post, it doesn’t sit well with me either

And the contradicting information allegedly coming from the same person at Crown (scholarships for  age-outs only, oh wait, not true) really casts doubts on their entire story so I’m not willing to accept yet that it’s the details buried in the contract, fool me twice and all.

Right now my pitchfork is taking aim aside from the one locked on Garfield who is doing a misinformation-deflection-dance and his ‘official’ conservation from yesterday seems like he got played or spun pretty badly.

Yours Truly,

The Angry Mob

• Like 3

4 hours ago, craiga said:

People demanded proof.  There it is.  Of course members are liable for past balances due...but to ask for scholarships back and be "added to your balance??"

Wow....

This is the " lets attack the victims " here charade.

For context, when the story broke, without any knowledge of the facts, a handful of out of the loop people jumped in and attacked the messenger(s), you, Liahona, the Boston Crusaders, Parents,.... calling the story immediately as " BS ".... and even posted that " Crown does not provide Scholarships. They never use the term" scholarships ". They went further in attacking the info. They demanded " proof ". DCP concluded the info was bogus as the thread was deleted.  But I said " proof " was forthcoming in 24-48 hours. So " proof " was then provided as requested as your credibility was on the line ( with others as well). So you were totally vindicated. Your info was truthful. Now... all thats left is for those that attempted to push the " lie " of this story is to not apologize for their premature conclusions, and attacking the victims here, but to pivot now into a realm of spin, excuse making, its " irrelevance ", or " who cares", mode. But their calling of this story " BS " without any knowledge of the incidents, diminished their credibility on here, no question about it. Thanks for bringing this info out, Craiga. Parents and Marchers DO have the right to know how some Corps bill their marchers and former marchers. Its a legitimate topic. Even if the process is a bit uncomfortable to a few handful of DCP posters, that really are completely out of the loop on what is going on with this billing.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Although I am not a fan of this specific term of the scholarship contract, it certainly appears that it was a known term to the MM and parents when they signed it. This looks to me like a case of "buyer beware." CC gave the scholarship in good faith with this agreed upon condition.  It is impossible for me to fault them for enforcing their rights. Again I am not a fan of the condition, but without actually seeing it, I will give CC the benefit of a he doubt that this was indeed in the contract.

Specific terms, wait, is there a copy of the contract posted somewhere?

• Like 1

Just now, cowtown said:

Specific terms, wait, is there a copy of the contract posted somewhere?

Conveniently, no. 

Their phone must have died before they could screenshot the contract.

My apologies - I can't see images from work.  My daughter is just dipping her toes in DCI participation this year.  I had no idea some corps did this.  Just to clarify, it's just for scholarships?  How long is the non-compete clause for?  Now I'm curious if I'm going to be faced with having to turn down financial assistance for what is already a horribly expensive activity to preserve her future options.

Mike

• Like 1

My work contract states that if I leave early I owe back any earned bonus money. This isn't something new or unheard of. If their contract specified something similar, then I don't really understand what all the fuss is about.