Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

On 2/3/2017 at 10:31 AM, tesmusic said:

Which is so very evil of Crown. How dare they ask people to hold up their end of the bargain. These families should be able to need assistance from Crown, agreeing to pay it back, per the contract, and then be able to move on and potentially do the same to Boston.

evil? YOu ever do contracts in the business world?

On 2/3/2017 at 11:10 AM, Liahona said:

You don't pay to participate in your job. :huh:

actually some people do in terms of marketing etc.

if I were to leave my job, any loans I originate that do not close within 30 days I don't get paid for.

On 2/3/2017 at 11:46 AM, BRASSO said:

In amateur college sports, if a player on athletic scholarship transfers to another school, the new school might provide him a scholarship. However, the idea that such player that transferred would have to pay back the scholarship monies to the previous school is prohibited from being done by NCAA rules and regs. They have policies that address this. For one reason ( among many ) they believe it is just plain stupid, to ask a player that transferred to pay back SCHOLARSHIP  monies to their previous school after they left the school. But to be clear on this, in the absence of DCI policy here with DCI, Carolina Crown appears to be acting in a legal fashion here, even if in many quarters in DCI their policy their policy is raising eyebrows to say the least.. 

however if the kid owes the school money, they may do the exact same thing.

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

however if the kid owes the school money, they may do the exact same thing.

While true, my comments  above here were directed exclusively to athletic " scholarships " the player receives from the school at the Div.1A level.

12 hours ago, Eleran said:

Two people can write up a contract agreeing to anything.  But there are a host of reasons why any particular provision of a contract will be thrown out in court as unenforceable.   (Eg. although this isn't specifically an employment contract with a non-compete clause, most jurisdictions have statutory or common law restrictions on what can be enforced with respect to non-compete clauses, no matter what the parties may have signed their name to).

Otherwise, first year law students wouldn't need to spend an entire year on basic Contract law. 

Interesting.  Even in a NP activity that has had the practice in place for some time and all participants agree to?  

And I presume you mean because the punishment is too great, correct?

I'm just throwing out spitballs here, so don't go all lawyer-defensive on me.  Your opinion is worth exactly what I'm paying for it...  

On 2/4/2017 at 7:28 PM, corpsband said:

They were the first corps to start calling their staff "faculty".  Long history of using "educational" terms and applying them to drum corps.

What sealed the deal for me on this was the redditors who all kind of said "duh -- it's that way everywhere"  and  "yeah i had to pay to before leaving my old to corps to march Crown".  so this sort of thing has a well-defined existence (even if I  knew nothing about it).  

Must be a recently introduced existence, then.  

When we discussed the transfer fee concept four years ago, someone actually thought up the idea of corps including a clause in their contracts requiring the member to pay an additional fee if they march with a different World Class corps in the next year.  Had that practice already have been in effect "everywhere", someone surely would have pointed that out back then.

I wonder if corps directors got that idea from our discussion...

10 hours ago, Liahona said:

BS to bolded above.

1. Crown unfairly rekoked granted scholarships from previous seasons.

2. Crown and Others Boycotted Boston's Early July show. Scheduling conflict is an out and out BOLD LIE. Although this assertion was only adjunctively highlighted by a few posters.

3. Everything else SPIN

1.  "Unfairly" is subjective in this situation, isn't it?  Crown enforced a contract provision, apparently.

2.  Crown and which others?  Name them or guess them!  This is your tale.  And these corps conspired to stick it to BAC for enticing away their staffs and kids?  (Hasn't that been going on for ages in this activity to one extent or another?)  So they agreed as a group to tell DCI's scheduling office that they all had scheduling conflicts with the show?  Or, considering that the show is a (presumably) money-maker for BAC, maybe those corps who had their staffs and kids enticed by BAC don't really want to put another nickel into BAC's pocket this year.  Can't say as I'd blame them.  I guess this is one nice aspect about corps directors being able to select their own tours.  I doubt this is a surprise to BAC and, if it is, IMO, it is they who were naive.  

3  Well, it is reasonably true that I am potentially being naive.

Edit:  And let me throw in here that if BAC is ticked off at  (a few?) corps for not attending their show, it also means that there are a bunch of other corps who would love to come perform!  Unless you're saying that they ALL are "boycotting" the BAC show!  Whew!  That's some big claim there.  

The point is that the lineup they get at their show matters little unless it's an activity-wide boycott and not enough corps will be willing to be in the area intentionally to punish BAC.  If that's the case, then maybe the tide has turned on the practice of staff-"enticing" (doubt that - they all benefit from a free and open marketplace for talent).

Edited by garfield

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

evil? YOu ever do contracts in the business world?

I was not being serious. My statement was to those that are talking about Crown as though they're evil. I think Crown is doing exactly the right thing.