Phantom Regiment 2017

On January 15, 2017 at 9:23 PM, BoaDci said:

Can you blame them?  BD is putting out some of the best show designs right now (even if they arent always fan favorite) and they are getting incredibly good results.  Loyalty is not a thing in drum corps anymore.  There are some people, but 99% of the time, if someone thinks they can make a better corp they are gonna try out.   Plus, Phantom had a bit of an off year last year, those guys might not want to stay.

I like it when age outs have marched three, four, or five years with a corps, whether it is three to five years with Blue Devils to three to five years with Les Stentors, or everyone who places in between. However if you have kids sign contracts that are only for one year, moving to another corps is not disloyalty once the year is over. The corps have to be loyal to marching members too. At the end of each season, there is always scuttlebutt that makes it through the stands in Indy that Corps X promised a spot the following year to all returning veterans, but come camp time we learn that the spot was conditional, perhaps with good reason, but conditional none the less. What I am finding different is the number of marching members who fly the distances they do to march with a corps. 

Regarding Phantom in 2016, placement wise they were off, but I felt that while the show needed something compared with those who placed both ahead and behind them, I loved what Will Pitts did musically, the percussion impressed me, and the guard had some great moves, all great potential for the next season. What was missing was the element that tied the pieces together. That would make me want to stay, but that's me, but I'm over thirty years past aging out and I probably wouldn't have made it to a top 12 corps anyway. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

I like it when age outs have marched three, four, or five years with a corps, whether it is three to five years with Blue Devils to three to five years with Les Stentors, or everyone who places in between. However if you have kids sign contracts that are only for one year, moving to another corps is not disloyalty once the year is over. The corps have to be loyal to marching members too. At the end of each season, there is always scuttlebutt that makes it through the stands in Indy that Corps X promised a spot the following year to all returning veterans, but come camp time we learn that the spot was conditional, perhaps with good reason, but conditional none the less. What I am finding different is the number of marching members who fly the distances they do to march with a corps. 

Regarding Phantom in 2016, placement wise they were off, but I felt that while the show needed something compared with those who placed both ahead and behind them, I loved what Will Pitts did musically, the percussion impressed me, and the guard had some great moves, all great potential for the next season. What was missing was the element that tied the pieces together. That would make me want to stay, but that's me, but I'm over thirty years past aging out and I probably wouldn't have made it to a top 12 corps anyway. 

They just need to modernize a bit.  When you look back at Spartacus, it looks very different than any Regiment show since. 

5 hours ago, BoaDci said:

They just need to modernize a bit.  When you look back at Spartacus, it looks very different than any Regiment show since. 

Though Phantom's 2016 was probably the most traditional show of WC, it was still an 8th place show. Tradition often works well for Phantom. My thought would not be to modernize as much as take risks. "Spartacus " in 2008 was risky. "Turandot" in 2012 which finished 3rd had risk too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Though Phantom's 2016 was probably the most traditional show of WC, it was still an 8th place show. Tradition often works well for Phantom. My thought would not be to modernize as much as take risks. "Spartacus " in 2008 was risky. "Turandot" in 2012 which finished 3rd had risk too.

Thats fair.  I feel like 2016 was very deadbeat.   I liked 2011, 2012 and 2014.  Other than that though, there hasnt been any shows that Ive enjoyed in Spartacus (and you KNOW that I only like 2011 for the closer:laughing:).

4 minutes ago, Phan199 said:

I think 2017 will be an outstanding year for the Regiment!

Great!

...and you base that it will be on what?

11 hours ago, Phan199 said:

I think 2017 will be an outstanding year for the Regiment!

if I list my favorite 100 Drum Corps played Music over the years, that list would be chock full of Phantom Regiment on that list... might even be the Corps with the most " TOP 100 " hits, for me. So I'm hoping Phantom plays some great music in 2017 once again, no matter where the judges decide to place them, placement wise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

if I list my favorite 100 Drum Corps played Music over the years, that list would be chock full of Phantom Regiment on that list... might even be the Corps with the most " TOP 100 " hits, for me. So I'm hoping Phantom plays some great music in 2017 once again, no matter where the judges decide to place them, placement wise.

I really hope so.  Up to 2013 if there was a corps I could count on for making me just love them, good or bad, it was them.  I always loved listening to them perform their shows.  Heck, 2009 has some really powerful and beautiful moments.  

I really liked parts of Will Pitts writing this past year.  There were parts of that show musically that started to harken back to what I loved about them.  I think if he is given a concept, some source music, and some pacing that is really solid he could write something epic.