16 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Nice to see you being so passionate about this topic.

I don't think this would be too much of a problem for 1 days worth of rehearsal if all the proper precautions are taken.  Roofers are out in the sun in that harsh environment day after day, year after year.

I agree with you. It's best to work outside from sunrise to about 10:00 am in Vegas. 

There are plenty of indoor facilities in Las Vegas.  The costs associated to rent the spaces may be an issue.

I personally don't know what the issue is that you're having. There have been shows in Arizona without too much incident, and sometimes the SoCal shows are super hot too, especially the Riverside show. I say Why not Vegas too?

It is my contention that there are not enough indoor facilities in Vegas with large enough floor space (ie full football field sized floors) to house the number of corps it would take to hold a DCI event at the Radiers Pro Stadium.  So, I posed this question to Wolfgang and now to you: Can you please name all of the indoor facilities in Vegas that have floor space large enough to accommodate full corps rehearsals?  And if possible, what are their lease costs? 

Yes, I am passionate about this issue.  And just because nobody in DCI has developed a heatstroke yet in Mesa, AZ, or Las Vegas when they have been there in the past, does not mean that it is a smart and wise idea to continue to hold outside rehearsals in those locations during the extreme summer heat in the future.  I actually contend that it is a stupid and dangerous idea.

29 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Hey, Stu, you are dating yourself.

BAC will have already bought one of those two facilities for its' color guard, the other for its hornline. Its percussion wants to be HOT/\______/\

If memory serves, during the Bite Out Of The Apple Show, wasn't it established that it was the Guard who wants to be Hot? :devil:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stu said:

It is my contention that there are not enough indoor facilities in Vegas with large enough floor space (ie full football field sized floors) to house the number of corps it would take to hold a DCI event at the Radiers Pro Stadium.  So, I posed this question to Wolfgang and now to you: Can you please name all of the indoor facilities in Vegas that have floor space large enough to accommodate full corps rehearsals?  And if possible, what are their lease costs? 

Yes, I am passionate about this issue.  And just because nobody in DCI has developed a heatstroke yet in Mesa, AZ, or Las Vegas when they have been there in the past, does not mean that it is a smart and wise idea to continue to hold outside rehearsals in those locations during the extreme summer heat in the future.  I actually contend that it is a stupid and dangerous idea.

Obviously I'm not going to research how much it costs to rent facilities in Las Vegas, NV. "I" am not planning for this type of event, and I have no power to negotiate these things on behalf of DCI or its member corps. I'm just joining in on the conversation of this thread. 

I imagine that the pricing for these various places would be more subject to negotiations than reading a price list of a McDonald's menu like you seem to want given to you.

All I'm saying is that I don't think a show in Las Vegas is totally out of the question either, as long as it has enough big names attending. The previous show they tried there several years ago was terribly attended, despite being on the local television because there wasn't any other advertising. Just my opinion and observation as I was there.

There are certainly plenty of places with indoor facilities in Clark County, NV. that could provide enough rehearsal space for many corps to field a decent regional there.

I'll just list a few that come to mind.

I'm sure UNLV would have something indoors.

There'd be room at MGM, T-Mobile Arena, and Convention Center Space on the strip that could be used for rehearsals.

Mandalay Bay Events Center

Orleans Arena

Thomas and Mack could work for rehersals

KVIS has 2 indoor Soccer fields ( and 5 outdoor fields) in Summerlin.

Big League Dreams has a 20,000 sq. ft. field house

Longevity Sports Center could work

Las Vegas Indoor Sports center could work

Golazo Vegas Futsal & Indoor Soccer Facility could work

The Sport Center of Las Vegas has an arena about 13,000 sq. ft. and 93,000 sq. ft. of facility to work with.

Cashman Field Center/Cashman Field might work.

Then there's the Raiders Stadium.  Who knows how it's going to be designed? Could have plenty of rehearsal space there too. I've seen the 

Then there is the possibility for corps  to stay in SoCal and drive up ( 3 hour drive), or event some could even stay in St. George Utah and drive down (2 hours) to Las Vegas.

So, yea, there are dangers associated to being outside during the dead of summer, but in Las Vegas there are still possibilities for a decent show there despite those dangers if one is smart about rehearsal, and can get into some of the indoor arenas and such.

Oh and I'm still chuckling that someone would come on DCP and ask someone else to find out about all the facilities that could accommodate corps, with prices no less. I've done 10 minutes of research and found a list of probable arenas, which is more than you probably expected, but if you want to know about the prices, I would ask you to go find out and get back to us. I did half the work, now you can do the other half.

Nevermind that what I'm asking is an impossible task at the moment... But hey, I can ask, right? :whistle:

Edited by jjeffeory
Adding more information
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 8:52 AM, Stu said:

Nope on all of your accounts.  It was a TOC event in the Dallas, Texas area which was broadcast in theaters, not a show in San Antonio; it was an outdoor venue not inside; the ambient temperature on the field was over 120*; members from different corps had went down during the day due to heat exhaustion; and there were very few people in the stands due to the extreme heat.

Oh, the Saginaw show.  Yes, that was outside.

Noticed you corrected your previous hyperbolic statement about 120 degree temperatures "from Texas throughout the Midwest".

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, the Saginaw show.  Yes, that was outside.

Noticed you corrected your previous hyperbolic statement about 120 degree temperatures "from Texas throughout the Midwest".

During that part of the summer in 2011 Heat Indexes in the South (TX, LA, etc..), Mid-South (AR, TN, etc…) , and the lower  Mid-West (Ok, MO, etc…) were all over 120*.  So, I was not being hyperbolic.

6 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Obviously I'm not going to research how much it costs to rent facilities in Las Vegas, NV. "I" am not planning for this type of event, and I have no power to negotiate these things on behalf of DCI or its member corps. I'm just joining in on the conversation of this thread. 

I imagine that the pricing for these various places would be more subject to negotiations than reading a price list of a McDonald's menu like you seem to want given to you.

All I'm saying is that I don't think a show in Las Vegas is totally out of the question either, as long as it has enough big names attending. The previous show they tried there several years ago was terribly attended, despite being on the local television because there wasn't any other advertising. Just my opinion and observation as I was there.

There are certainly plenty of places with indoor facilities in Clark County, NV. that could provide enough rehearsal space for many corps to field a decent regional there.

I'll just list a few that come to mind.

I'm sure UNLV would have something indoors.

There'd be room at MGM, T-Mobile Arena, and Convention Center Space on the strip that could be used for rehearsals.

Mandalay Bay Events Center

Orleans Arena

Thomas and Mack could work for rehersals

KVIS has 2 indoor Soccer fields ( and 5 outdoor fields) in Summerlin.

Big League Dreams has a 20,000 sq. ft. field house

Longevity Sports Center could work

Las Vegas Indoor Sports center could work

Golazo Vegas Futsal & Indoor Soccer Facility could work

The Sport Center of Las Vegas has an arena about 13,000 sq. ft. and 93,000 sq. ft. of facility to work with.

Cashman Field Center/Cashman Field might work.

Then there's the Raiders Stadium.  Who knows how it's going to be designed? Could have plenty of rehearsal space there too. I've seen the 

Then there is the possibility for corps  to stay in SoCal and drive up ( 3 hour drive), or event some could even stay in St. George Utah and drive down (2 hours) to Las Vegas.

So, yea, there are dangers associated to being outside during the dead of summer, but in Las Vegas there are still possibilities for a decent show there despite those dangers if one is smart about rehearsal, and can get into some of the indoor arenas and such.

Oh and I'm still chuckling that someone would come on DCP and ask someone else to find out about all the facilities that could accommodate corps, with prices no less. I've done 10 minutes of research and found a list of probable arenas, which is more than you probably expected, but if you want to know about the prices, I would ask you to go find out and get back to us. I did half the work, now you can do the other half.

Nevermind that what I'm asking is an impossible task at the moment... But hey, I can ask, right? :whistle:

Now we are getting somewhere.  If all of these venues actually have 'football field sized floor space for full rehearsals with high vantage points for staff', and a few smaller indoor areas to split into sectionals, then Vegas could accommodate fourteen or so corps.  Provided that the venues are not cost prohibitive for Gold, Battalion, or any WC corps other than BD in which Wolgang proposed.  But something tells me that either many of these venues would likely not work, or they would cost too much for many corps to lease.

As for seeking estimated costs from Wolfgang concerning leasing a Pro Stadium and the rehearsal venues, along with the potential revenue from ticket sales, all are realistic questions because supposedly we are not discussing a 'fantasy' but a possible 'real' event.  You even said it yourself that the previous time corps were near Vegas the attendance was horrid,  And if this time around rehearsal sites would be at indoor venues, and the performance site would be a Pro Football Indoor Stadium, Wolfgang needs to address those expenditure/revenue concerns for this to get out of 'fantasy land' and into the realm of being a serious proposal.  Anyone can propose things within a 'fantasy'; let's see if Wolfgang can propose things within a 'reality'.  (and to ward off a fall-back counter, I request that we please stay away from the "Perception is Reality" argument)

Edited by Stu

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Now we are getting somewhere.  If all of these venues actually have 'football field sized floor space for full rehearsals with high vantage points for staff', and a few smaller indoor areas to split into sectionals, then Vegas could accommodate fourteen or so corps.  Provided that the venues are not cost prohibitive for Gold, Battalion, or any WC corps other than BD in which Wolgang proposed.  But something tells me that either many of these venues would likely not work, or they would cost too much for many corps to lease.

As for seeking estimated costs from Wolfgang concerning leasing a Pro Stadium and the rehearsal venues, along with the potential revenue from ticket sales, are all realistic questions because supposedly we are not discussing a 'fantasy' but a possible 'real' event.  You even said it yourself that the previous time corps were near Vegas the attendance was horrid,  And if this time around rehearsal sites would be at indoor venues, and the performance site would be a Pro Football Indoor Stadium, Wolfgang needs to address those expenditure/revenue concerns for this to get out of 'fantasy land' and into the realm of being a serious proposal.  Anyone can propose things within a 'fantasy'; let's see if Wolfgang can propose thing within a 'reality'.  (and to ward off a fall-back counter, I request that we please  stay away from the "Perception is Reality" argument)

Convention space and several of those venues were what I was alluding to as well. Cost is an interesting factor to consider but can't be accurately researched - all of those facilities charge on a generally negotiable rate. That said, that rate is largely based on demand, and summer is the slowest time of year for meetings and conventions nationwide, which presents a lot of opportunities. Being several non-profit organizations will definitely help too.

I should note, I'd previously only considered publicly-funded space like the Las Vegas Convention Center and Cashman. Those facilities could easily offer field space for a dozen corps or more, three fields each. They're just that big. But after jjefeory mentioned the private space in hotels, if the space is available anyways, it's incredibly reasonable to assume the space would be offered at a tremendously discounted rate in exchange for event sponsorship and/or room block guarantees, neither of which is out of the realm of possibilities for this discussion. UNLV and CSN do also have rehearsal space available of that size. 

Also for the sake of discussion, this facility in Mesquite opened up a few months ago. About an hour's drive from Vegas. I sent it as an FYI to a friend of mine who runs a summer band camp, but holy wow would it make a cool housing site for a corps. And there's several football fields available in Mesquite, some with gorgeous views.

• Like 1