How would you breathe life into Indy?

On 4/19/2017 at 1:46 PM, BRASSO said:

an Ocean.

seconded

• Like 1

On 4/19/2017 at 3:17 PM, George Dixon said:

but it's sooooo boring. After prelims I walked to my hotel a half mile away, grabbed a shower and spent five minutes running thru work emails and then wanted to head out. Bar in hotel lobby? Closed. Brewery type place nearby? Closed. SO BORING. It's just incredibly boring. Amazingly so.

As far as how to "make it more exciting"? How about offer up LOS each day to a few corps for open (free) rehearsals? Like the top 2 from the day before get the option. If they turn it down the next two get dibs...

Maybe "pop up" standstill concerts with some of the corps in town at lunch time?

Maybe a "bus tour" where you drop $20 and they ferrie the group around to a couple rehearsal sites?

"DCI Fan" mixers or specials looped into the show with entry with your ticket or ticket stub?

Honestly just thinking about it makes me bored.

I go for the shows - usually 2 of the 3 days depending on my schedule elsewhere. Sometimes I head to Vegas afterward since I'm half way there.

The housing issue is going to make Indianapolis non functional. It has become an enigma. Yes, the show will go on, but with how many corps in a few years,  Housing Corps in another state, necessary to stay in hotels. 

I wonder how many corps are on the verge of saying screw it.  Open class will be history in another two years .  the logistical and financial cost of housing, and transport is over riding the positives now...  Many fans are using Allentown as their semi's now.  Indianapolis is now more of a negative thsn a positive

• Like 1

I know this is outside the constraints of the topic originally, but it would be so much better for fans - and keeping fans engaged via the LIVE , IN PERSON passion & excitement of championships is the best way to do that - If they rotated out every 3 years.  2 years in Indy, 1 in California, 2 in Indy, 1 in Denver, 2 in Indy, one on the East Coast.  That would also allow for outdoor championships once every 3 years.  The crowds were just enormous in Denver & Pasadena - especially for Thursday & Friday - compared to the small crowds both nights in Indy.  The housing situation is getting scary bad, as the previous poster said.  Perhaps the rotation out once every 3 years would reduce fatigue for hosting schools

Edit - Oh, and there's a lovely MSN/Money - 24/7 Wall St article about how poorly Indy ranks in their "50 worst cities to live in" article today.

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan
addition
  • Like 1

Host a DM camp and competition; the winner would get to guest conduct a horn warm up with the corps of their choice. 

"Flash mob" performances featuring a hornline split into thirds (e.g., Crown group 1 mobs a city bus and hops off in oddball areas, Group 2 pops up somewhere else, etc.) 

I still think Phantom could really do something with the Phantomettes like sell glossy calendars of them in uniform, etc, autographed by all the CG members. On a more general note, more photo opportunities with current MM like Bloo did recently. 

A "comic con" type panel featuring kids from each section of Coros X (Brass, Perc, CG) fielding questions from the audience. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dream Theater said:

Create a DCI Half Marathon/Marathon the morning of Finals with the proceeds going to the corps. 

4th year in a row for the Street Beat 5k.

http://streetbeat5k.com/

3 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

4th year in a row for the Street Beat 5k.

http://streetbeat5k.com/

I was looking for something with a bit more substance and meaning than a fun run. Also DCI could get the Corps not competing to be the course entertainment. You could even get the IMS involved where the runners could do a lap on the speedway.

Edited by Dream Theater

42 minutes ago, Rhumbline said:

The housing issue is going to make Indianapolis non functional. It has become an enigma. Yes, the show will go on, but with how many corps in a few years,  Housing Corps in another state, necessary to stay in hotels. 

I wonder how many corps are on the verge of saying screw it.  Open class will be history in another two years .  the logistical and financial cost of housing, and transport is over riding the positives now...  Many fans are using Allentown as their semi's now.  Indianapolis is now more of a negative thsn a positive

I didn't know the housing situation was this dire.  Sounds pretty grim.  I live within three hours of Indy but by all means move the championships if this is going to kill Open class. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rhumbline said:

This is an interesting take as it doesn't necessarily counter the upwards trending attendance numbers at finals ... by strictly referencing Semis. What's the housing issue? I know there are usually 1 or 2 corps scrambling as finals week approaches, but is that an Indianapolis problem? Or even a new problem?