How would you breathe life into Indy?

To be perfectly honest, I've already been to six shows including the regional so I cherry pick at Indy.  I go in to see what I haven't seen in person and what I want to see again.   But I don't spend every minute in the stadium.  I have dinner and  try to time it out correctly.    There is a good amount of time on Friday and Saturday before shows begin. 

• Like 1

You can't breath anything other than what is it. People who live in Indy know that town. They must like ti since it a pretty big city population wise. I think it probably equals SF in population. Other than that yes it's very BORING. Sorry to say it's like Sacramento with twice the number of people but still BORING.

A related, & I believe bigger issue, is that having finals in the same location every year, combined with regionals always in same location & in same order has put DCI in a rut.  The same sites get a show year after year.  Out west, the season is over by the 2nd week in July.  

Going to new locations will expose more individuals to the activity - and that is good.  Right now, the fan base is mostly high school band kids, parents, and a dwindling base of alumni. What would finals attendance be if you don't count the members of Corps that didn't make finals, and some of their parents?  

I don't think this is sustainable in the long term.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
bad speling
  • Like 3

On 4/19/2017 at 1:42 PM, DrumManTx said:

I'd start with some chest compressions and then supplying some air b........

You're supposed to start an airway first... :laughing:

• Like 2

Finals really needs to be rotated among three sites IMHO. Indy is fine for one, could do the Rose Bowl or Levi's Stadium or CenturyLink for a West Coast Venue, and maybe something in Texas or up in the Northeast. It's myopic to keep it in one spot, yet purport to be "growing the activity". The West Coast is a huge market that has been serially ignored for the entire history of DCI. (Denver isn't West Coast BTW). A California finals wouldn't have concerns about rain and thunderstorms that we get with Indy, weather is good and it would help stimulate growth of the activity out here. Same with Texas. Two huge high school marching band states that need to be cultivated. I get it, Indy is close to the office, and it's easy to refine the show operations with repeated events. Same could go with some other standing venues. It's penny wise and pound foolish to keep it all in one spot.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Out west, the season is over by the 2nd week in July.

We all know there are tough logistics and costs for DCI to juggle and manage. They won't eliminate unhappiness regardless of what they do.

Though Indy is great for me (and not just because it is close), I'd love a chance to attend a big, late-season show in the West. Even an occasional championship. What a great nod to BD, SCV and others that would be.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

Finals really needs to be rotated among three sites IMHO. Indy is fine for one, could do the Rose Bowl or Levi's Stadium or CenturyLink for a West Coast Venue, and maybe something in Texas or up in the Northeast. It's myopic to keep it in one spot, yet purport to be "growing the activity". The West Coast is a huge market that has been serially ignored for the entire history of DCI. (Denver isn't West Coast BTW). A California finals wouldn't have concerns about rain and thunderstorms that we get with Indy, weather is good and it would help stimulate growth of the activity out here. Same with Texas. Two huge high school marching band states that need to be cultivated. I get it, Indy is close to the office, and it's easy to refine the show operations with repeated events. Same could go with some other standing venues. It's penny wise and pound foolish to keep it all in one spot.

Century Link would be incredible 

there's a reason why Seahawks fans keep breaking noise records there. That stadium's acoustics are quite amazing. Engineered to enhance sound

unfortunately, with the amount it rains in Seattle, not sure how practical it would be 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

there's a reason why Seahawks fans keep breaking noise records there. That stadium's acoustics are quite amazing. Engineered to enhance sound

unfortunately, with the amount it rains in Seattle, not sure how practical it would be 

nor would schools be available for housing? rehearsals?, fan-a-thons like age out ceremonies, etc.??? Cascades, Crusaders, and Thunder have seemed to have struggles as show sponsors and for winter camps over the years.

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

There would be other issues (housing, logistics), but rain is not an issue in July & August in Seattle.  Gorgeous weather from about the 4th of July to early to mid-September.

• Like 1