Pick A Show You Wish You Could See For The First Time Again

OK...a "sleeper pick" I just thought of, after seeing a post regarding this from a friend on FB...

1972 Racine Kilties, at World Open Finals that year.

Great performance from them that night... went from 3rd in prelims to winning the night show by a significant margin.  Outstanding horn line, with only about 36-38 players, give or take... and a very cool show... different from anything else I saw that summer. From the "parade block" intro to the selections from "Pictures at an Exhibition"... just terrific stuff.

Edited by Fran Haring

I will go with Madison 1975. I first saw them at the old US Open. It was an amazing show ... the best and loudest  G horn line ( valve-rotor at that) I have ever heard (including Spirit 1980). I still get goose bumps thinking about it.

Garfield Cadets 1984. The WOW factor was like nothing I had seen at that time in my life.

Star of Indiana 1990.  Another huge WOW!  Saw them in Canton in mid June. Phantom Regiment actually beat them by 3 point. But my friends and I all left the stadium thinking we had just seen the new Kings of DCI.  Star was good prior to 90, but in 90 they pushed it a few notches to freakin' amazing status!!! 

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

I think I will put Bayonne 1976 at their home show in early June in this thread, when they came out in the banana unis. I loved them from the first note to the last.

I was at that show, too!!!

When they came down that side street into the stadium, with the police car leading the way... we all had a feeling that we were about to see something we had never seen before.

Gotta be honest here... it took me a bit to warm up to them and the new style, but they certainly were fun to watch.  I was finally completely hooked after their performance at the Dream contest in NJ in 1977. They were absolutely smokin' that day.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 10:05 PM, 1956OPR said:

My selection is the Chicago Royal Airs (or Aires) 1965 Championship performance at The VFW Nationals in....Chicago where they beat the Cavaliers.

My recollection is that at the time, the Boys in Green were not referred to as "The" .........   I wonder when that pretentiousness started with drum corps.

Although scheduled to be held outside at Hanson Field, rain and wind (what else?) forced the finals to be held indoor at McCormick Place.

The Royal Airs entire show was electric, with "Alexander's Ragtime Band" and "Watermelon Man" leading the way in sound and memories.

I remember Gail Royer once saying that until his Vanguard in 1987, the '65 Royal Airs were his favorite.  Quite a compliment from a legend!!!

2007 Crown.  Infinity chord.  Jaw was on the floor when I saw them in Hershey that year.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I remember Gail Royer once saying that until his Vanguard in 1987, the '65 Royal Airs were his favorite.  Quite a compliment from a legend!!!

I have the whole 65 VFW, including the scores, on my itunes library.  The following is on youtube.    Here are the VFW scores over the years.  Loads of changes from prelims to finals.    http://diceman-radio.com/SrCorps/vfw1.htm

Edited by Ghost

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

I have the whole 65 VFW, including the scores, on my itunes library.  The following is on youtube.    Here are the VFW scores over the years.  Loads of changes from prelims to finals.    http://diceman-radio.com/SrCorps/vfw1.htm

Ghost, Thank you for posting this video. It was great to hear the boys and girls of Cicero's 1965 Championship production again.

Edited by 1956OPR