Darkhorse 2017

8 hours ago, rr4353 said:

I'm gonna throw Spirit in there as well. Coming off of some insanely tough rebuilding years, staff turnovers, corps admin turnovers, and they've done a magnificent job doing the work behind the scenes that they've needed to. They have staff on 5 year contracts (ensuring stability), repairing burnt bridges with alumni that were spurned by prior administrations, purchasing and moving into a corps hall (first one they've had in 20 years I think), renovating/refurbishing food and equipment trucks, all new equipment and instruments, new educational programs, pretty large vet retention (especially compared to the exodus after 2014), etc. These guys are really stepping it up, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that newfound confidence translate to the field this summer. Maybe not a huge jump (remember, they were 11, 11, 17, 18, 21 these last five seasons) but I'd say back in the top 20 at least, maybe top 18. Slow and steady wins this race, and they're up for the challenge.

Really?  I mean I love Spirit, but isn't their organization still having issues?  I hope youre right though, becuase I do want to see the spirit of the early 2010's back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Really?  I mean I love Spirit, but isn't their organization still having issues?  I hope youre right though, becuase I do want to see the spirit of the early 2010's back.

I think the only thing holding them back right now is the perception that they are still having major issues. Most (if not all) of them were resolved over the past year, and they've laid out a solid plan. They aren't taking it too quick - the corps is in extremely capable hands. It may seem like they're struggling, but I'm interested to see how the progress made by the organization as a whole translates to the field this summer. It feels like a totally different corps than last year, and especially from 2/3 years ago! Now, here's hoping the on-the-field stuff improves as well. I think the show design looks solid and the videos I've seen look good. But, then again every corps looks "great, better than last year" during spring training... every year... here's hoping Spirit breaks through the noise!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rr4353 said:

I think the only thing holding them back right now is the perception that they are still having major issues. Most (if not all) of them were resolved over the past year, and they've laid out a solid plan. They aren't taking it too quick - the corps is in extremely capable hands. It may seem like they're struggling, but I'm interested to see how the progress made by the organization as a whole translates to the field this summer. It feels like a totally different corps than last year, and especially from 2/3 years ago! Now, here's hoping the on-the-field stuff improves as well. I think the show design looks solid and the videos I've seen look good. But, then again every corps looks "great, better than last year" during spring training... every year... here's hoping Spirit breaks through the noise!

Im hype.

• Like 1

I could go with the popular choice and say Vanguard, but I am not really sure that you can call a corps that has made the DCI top 12 every single year since DCI has been in existence, a corps that has won 5 Championships (6 if you count pre-DCI), having never placed below 8th (and only ever placing that "low" ONCE) and has an average placement of 3.8 over a 45 year time span.. I'm not really sure you can call them a darkhorse.

Now the corps that I personally think will surprise a few people... but even then only those that only concentrate on the Top 12... I think that corps will be the Seattle Cascades. If you look what they have been doing up there, you'll see a corps that is VERY young, but has retained their membership pretty consistently for the last three years. Each year of those three, they have been getting better and better. They have a new visual identity that isn't some generic FJM look and the kids really seem to buy into what the staff is doing there. I'm not saying that they are gonna break top 12 any time soon, but corps like Spirit, Genesis, Pacific Crest and the like ought to be checking over their shoulders once in awhile.

Edited by Cainan
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Granted things don't really start to take shape and panic buttons shouldn't really be pushed until San Antonio; but I think Academy is learning that you really have to bring it and have the show to do it if you want to remain in the top 12. Academy has another really talented corps; but their show just doesn't have the theme or design to keep them as a finalist, in my opinion. Remember where the Blue Knights placed when they did a cartoon ("Blue Toons") themed show?
The Mandarins have been a steady climb the past two years and could be finishing as high as 13th, maybe 12, this year. That could be a really big hype and springboard for them going into 2018.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2017 at 9:24 AM, BoaDci said:

No issues. Very positive vibe. Heavy alumni engagement. Business executives and CEO's are on the BOD ( a first). Very well run organization and their ducks are all in a row. Great relationship with Boston's BOD and ideas are mutually shared. Exciting times for them. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

No issues. Very positive vibe. Heavy alumni engagement. Business executives and CEO's are on the BOD ( a first). Very well run organization and their ducks are all in a row. Great relationship with Boston's BOD and ideas are mutually shared. Exciting times for them. 

.  Im not concerned anymore, I even made a big thread detailing how wrong I was.   Best of luck to them in 2017:)

On 6/7/2017 at 5:33 PM, jwillis35 said:

Depends on how high up the ladder you think a dark horse should rise to be given that label.  In terms of winning the Gold in World Class, I don't think there will be any dark horses.  I think it will be between Blue Devils and Bluecoats.  Crown and SCV will be fantastic, but I believe there will be a 1.5 separation or more between them at the top 2.  Phantom Regiment could be a dark horse in terms of rising back up into the top 5.  Madison could be if they can bounce back into the top 12 and perhaps move up to 8.  

Agree. I don't see anyone catching Bluecoats except BD, and they have some work to do in drill. Crown could if they make significant changes to the second half of their show, which they could do, but I doubt it.

From what little I have seen of Blue Stars, I don't think their book or drill is difficult enough to make a charge. Blue Knights has the talent but again their show is to esoteric to compete n GE.

The corps that I think could, though, is Boston. They have a huge horn line, serious depth in coaching, and a very unique show. 

• Like 4