Pittsburgh Pileup - Tuesday, June 27

6 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

The fact is I made a positive comment about Cadets getting better. I said nothing about their possibility (or impossibility) of beating Bluecoats. And if I did, so what? As if you haven't seen worse on here. 

You are fighting with the wrong person man. I have no issues with what you said. 

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

They went from being two points behind Boston yesterday to matching Boston's most recent score today. We'll see if tonight was a fluke or not. The two corps won't see each other again until July 17 in Bentonville.

yea... I would not put Crossmen in the same group as Boston yet.

My read now is Crossmen, Blue Stars, and Phantom battling for 8th, and BK, Cadets, Boston fighting for 6th, with Cadets with the most potential to move into the top 5.

C'mon folks! There's nothing wrong with commenting that it's a good sign that a particular corps has cut into a spread with the current scoring leader. Doesn't in itself mean they think they will pass them up.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Reminds me of judge training I had back in the mid-70's. Dr Bernard Baggs, brass judge extraordinaire, was talking to us trainees about tape commentary, and his advice was to NEVER make a negative comment about a soloist when the person messes up. His advice was to find something else to comment on, using the premise that EVERYBODY heard what the soloist had done, including the soloist...no need to make the person feel even worse.  

Oh wow, I'd nearly forgotten about the years I marched being judged by Dr. Baggs. His tape intro was so iconic: "Good evening. This is Dr. Bernard Baggs: B-A-G-G-S..."

Edited by brassboy
  • Like 1

Just got back from Pittsburgh. Haven't read any comments here about the show, but to quote from Leonard Bernstein's Mass (albeit not a line you hear in Cadets' show--although you almost do right at the top): "And it was G-- d--- good!"

Should have a few pictures posted to this thread tomorrow (i.e., later on Wednesday).

I enjoyed Crossmen's show quite a bit.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Note for those who are attending the show - bring a pair of sunglasses. The sun sets directly behind the visitor stands, so if it is sunny, you will have difficulty seeing the first half of the show. A baseball cap may also be in order.

I'd also recommend getting a seat on the right side (i.e., side 2). The sun sets north of the 50, as it were.

(Unfortunately, my seat was on the left.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Great job Crossmen! Best in a decade or more!!!

I have much love for their 2012 show, and more than a little for their 2014 show, as well as respect for their 2016 show, but you may be right about this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mfrontz said:

The baritone soloist NAILED IT

The ballad was much improved over Massillon. Still needs a lot of work (not meaning the soloist in particular)--which I'm sure it will get.

• Like 2