Pittsburgh Pileup - Tuesday, June 27

2 hours ago, BozzlyB said:

Welp, these scores can get thrown out with the bath water. Honestly, why not just perform in exhibition rather than put up a panel like this. Embarrassing for DCI.

Can to explain further? While I do not know all of these judges, the several I do know certainly have strong credentials. 

1 hour ago, derbydawg said:

Can to explain further? While I do not know all of these judges, the several I do know certainly have strong credentials. 

Because partial panels are just that a partial score that can inflate or deflate a gap that may not exist between corps.

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I got a great night's sleep.  Still a dust up on here.  Eight hours later.  :peek:

It could be worse. We could be arguing about whether percussion judges should be on the ---- oops, I've said too much already.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BozzlyB said:

. Honestly, why not just perform in exhibition rather than put up a panel like this. Embarrassing for DCI.

Agree. It doesn't matter who is on the incomplete panels. Corps should just do exhibitions, rather than have incomplete judging panels to judge these Corps in competition. Otherwise, intelligent fans conclude that the scores and the spreads with such incomplete evaluations are essentially worthless.

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Agree. It doesn't matter who is on the incomplete panels. Corps should just do exhibitions, rather than have incomplete judging panels to judge these Corps in competition. Otherwise, intelligent fans conclude that the scores and the spreads with such incomplete evaluations are essentially worthless.

I would agree with this, except most of a DCI show's audience is comprised of people who really couldn't care less if there are five-judge, three-judge, seven-judge, nine-judge panels. They are there for the show, and part of that show is scoring. It has as much entertainment value as anything else, and if the staffs are being transparent with the members as they should be, they will be critiquing the program themselves and reminding them that these panels are for informational and entertainment purposes only.

31 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

Because partial panels are just that a partial score that can inflate or deflate a gap that may not exist between corps.

13 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

From a competitive standpoint, I think early season the kids need to get in competition mode. Competitions and exhibitions have different vibes to the kids. Although I don't look too deeply into the actual scores/ranking of small panel shows, the judging critiques early in the season are very important whether only one or five top judges are evaluating you on a given night. 

Edited by Tobias

4 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

I would agree with this, except most of a DCI show's audience is comprised of people who really couldn't care less if there are five-judge, three-judge, seven-judge, nine-judge panels. They are there for the show, and part of that show is scoring. It has as much entertainment value as anything else, and if the staffs are being transparent with the members as they should be, they will be critiquing the program themselves and reminding them that these panels are for informational and entertainment purposes only.

Edited by Tobias

9 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

I would agree with this, except most of a DCI show's audience is comprised of people who really couldn't care less if there are five-judge, three-judge, seven-judge, nine-judge panels. They are there for the show, and part of that show is scoring. It has as much entertainment value as anything else, and if the staffs are being transparent with the members as they should be, they will be critiquing the program themselves and reminding them that these panels are for informational and entertainment purposes only.

Oh I agree that lots of fans could care less about the scores.. especially I would assume with incomplete panels doing incomplete evaluations.. This is borne out at just about every local show each summer, where lots of people are seen heading to the exits and their cars right after the last corps performs. Especially at mid week local shows, as many have to get up for work the next morning, and some have long drives home. They are there to be entertained. So you and I are in complete agreement on this.

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, Tobias said:

From a competitive standpoint, I think early season the kids need to get in competition mode. Competitions and exhibitions have different vibes to the kids. Although I don't look too deeply into the actual scores/ranking, the judging critiques early in the season are also very important whether only one or five top judges are evaluating you on a given night. 

I definitely agree, these shows are where the members are getting comfortable performing their show. And instead of being critiqued on a performer by performer basis the whole is getting analyzed. You get the benefit of a brass guard or percussion judge every now and then, but this part of the season is to see whether the show is effective and to determine which parts need to be adjusted.

Edited by littlejaw
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I remember audiences responding pretty well to Cadets in 2013 for sure.

No doubt. They had that killer total music ensemble in 2013 that, even in June, was amazing to listen to. Great choice of music that year too. If not for the boxes I thought that show was one of the two best on the field that summer. 

• Like 3