4th of July Parade Memories

OK...this is going to sound nuts, but it's true.

In 1974, the local-circuit junior corps I was with did two parades, one standstill exhibition, and two contests... in one day, on July 4th that year.

I think I slept for a week after that. :)

• Like 2

My memories of the 4th of July revolve around non Drum Corps things. I think of Lexington & Concord.  Of Kings Mountain. Of Yorktown. Of the words to the Declaration of Independence itself. Self Sacrifices made by others long ago, so that we can enjoy Drum Corps, picnics, bar-b-ques, parades, fireworks, beaches, mountains, or quiet solitude.

Back in the early days of my drum corps career the GLDCA circuit had two contests on July 4th. First our corps would participate in a parade in Clawson, MI which was followed by an early afternoon contest in the same city. Then we would epl and have our second contest of the day with the same corps lineup in Riverview, MI. I used to sleep during the 45 minute bus ride between the shows.

Edit: This was during the early years of Bluecoats ... they were a 60 point corps back then and participated in this circuit and these shows.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

Doing 2 parades back to back in the middle of the day in downtown Atlanta, grabbing food,  then heading to the housing site for a run through, shower,  EPL, then to the show. Not my fondest memory.

Had a parade in my hometown the evening of July 3.  A sop convinced the DM that it was a "cooties" parade; no uni's just homemade costumes.  Whatever you could slap together.  It was a blast.  We added a tune: a singing tune that was the theme song for a local kids tv show.  It was a blast but the parade committee was not thrilled.  We were the last group in the parade and we were the highlight.  No one knew who we were until we played.  The next year we got paid more to do the parade in uniform.  So it kinda worked out.  

One year, I think for the bicentennial, we did 6 parades in 2 days.  That was the opposite of fun.

happy 4th everyone stay safe.  God Bless PR.  Condolences to the Phantom Family.

Anyone who says July 4th in drum corps doesn't suck is either.. A: Lying.. or B: A member of the front ensemble.

The best 4th I remember was when it rained all day and we slept on the busses as they drove through the parade routes. It was glorious. 

• Like 4