Mandarins in finals?

1 minute ago, brassboy said:

I think they had a full corps last year as well. But yes, Top 15 would still be a huge milestone for them. 

I think they are clearly top 13. They are ahead of PC and Academy. Don't think SOA will have anything for them. Cascades and OC mean business this year and are ballin, but i think Mandarins will be ahead of them on Tuesday. With the utmost respect to Pio, Genesis, and Surf.......nope not this year ahead of Mandarins. Troopers will be battling with Academy and Troop lost to them last night. Pretty much leaves the Colts and i haven't seen their show yet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I think they are clearly top 13. They are ahead of PC and Academy. Don't think SOA will have anything for them. Cascades and OC mean business this year and are ballin, but i think Mandarins will be ahead of them on Tuesday. With the utmost respect to Pio, Genesis, and Surf.......nope not this year ahead of Mandarins. Troopers will be battling with Academy and Troop lost to them last night. Pretty much leaves the Colts and i haven't seen their show yet. 

Then hell. Go for it Mandarins. That would be just amazing if they made finals. Oh besides BD SCV. 

Edited by afd
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, afd said:

Then hell. Go for it Mandarins. That would be just amazing if they made finals.!

Last California corp to make finals was probably VK besides BD and scv

Edited by afd

I would absolutely love it!  New blood is always a good thing, it really mixes things up stirs up some new excitement!  But above all else it's a well designed, well performed, and easily accessible show.  

I have them 13th right now, I think where a hump may lie is in content/difficulty.  I'm not saying it's an easy show but I think it's a small tier below who they'll be fighting for finals with, they were 16th last year so they weren't going to go crazy with the difficulty.  It's perfectly tailored for where they are as a membership.  

However, I think they do have a few key strengths over Madison Scouts, The Academy, etc.  

• Brass and especially percussion have great books that they're doing really well with, I could see the percussion doing VERY well.  
  • Color Guard is a HUGE strength and GE pull to me, they really steal the show and have some huge effect moments with the big black fabric at the beginning, ballad, and in the closer.  
  • The show knows exactly what it is and the design is pretty air tight in every regard.  Madison Scouts and The Academy are kinda having an identity crisis right now with their shows.  Madison Scouts have designed their show, have committed to the theme, and there's no backing out.  They need to pull out all the stops and just go for it and go full on ###### off tribal, angry, etc.  The Academy on the other hand seems like they can't decide if they want to cross the silly line or stay on the serious side.  
  • This show has so many big GE moments.  Opening hit is awesome, the ballad is a highlight of the year, the drum feature writing is fantastic, and the build up of tension and release in the closer is AWESOME.  I'm having a hard time thinking about a moment in the Madison Scouts show where it felt like they had arrived and the show was clear.  Same with The Academy, I think a huge part of what made last year was the MANY amazing moments throughout.  This year doesn't really feel like it has any time to breathe and let those happen YET.  They're making changes.  

I really think they'll pop some top 12 GE and color guard numbers.  Percussion and visual can be close. 

But regardless of that, I have a hard time seeing this below 15th, which means Cinecast, huge exposure, and this will really put them on the map to recruit the next level of talent and REALLY go for it in 2018.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, afd said:

Then hell. Go for it Mandarins. That would be just amazing if they made finals.!

But then again what the **** do i know? lol. Seriously though. Mandarins are a real threat for finals. Let's see if they can get past Scouts. If they do i will go ballistic with joy.

• Like 3

From what I was told or perhaps has been discussed, is that there was quite a bit of a staff overhaul with the key captions. Appears that it's paying off.

It was about this time last year we began hearing about the possibility of Academy in finals, could the same thing happen to Mandarins? Very strong possibility, but as others have said the biggest hurdle will be Madison. Madison has fallen from finals before, but usually come roaring back. While Madison is not exactly roaring back, they do seem to be the solid 12th place prediction, but there is a difference this year and other years. Crossmen and Blue Stars are very good, so not coming back as strong may not be due to Madison not being strong as much as it is a credit to those ahead of them. For Mandarins to make finals, they will need to keep pushing, something they will no doubt do, but they will have to hope Madison plateaus, and where Madison will not want to miss finals two years in a row, something they may not recover from, that could be a long shot.

Edited by Tim K

12 hours ago, BoaDci said:

They are ahead of Madison right now imo.  I read a Madison member on Reddit that much of the corps hates the show this year.  Its a real bummer.  Mandarins is clearly the better corps right now, way more passion, and clean passion at that.

I have always wondered what it must be like to perform a show you don't like.  And you paid to do it.  OUch.  Really sad for Madison but then there is always a corps that will step right in and take your spot.  Sorry this is slightly off topic.  Go Mandies!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, afd said:

Last California corp to make finals was probably VK besides BD and scv

Velvet Knights AND Freelancers back in 1992. California put four corps in Finals. (As much as I loved the Colts show the following year, arguably VK should have made Finals in 1993, too.)