Does BAC overtake Cadets by San Antonio?

22 minutes ago, afd said:

This is how tight the top 8 have become. Throw in BK and Phantom into the mix and who knows where everyone will place. Cadets IMO are so much better than last year but still can land up in that 6-8 place spot. Or maybe best at 4th. Who knows.

BK and Phantom do seem to be sleeper threats this season.  They've both upped their scores considerably in recent shows.  

7 minutes ago, Ediker said:

BK and Phantom do seem to be sleeper threats this season.  They've both upped their scores considerably in recent shows.  

And Crossmen IMO and Blue Stars 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

That's definitely not a word I would personally use describing this show.  

I would, and I think I'm right. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCI-86 said:

I would imagine NONE.  Last year by his (GH) own admission they had a tough time off the field as well as on it - hence the changes (both voluntary and forced).  This year they seem to be having a fantastic time with a much more coherent programme and a younger corps that is starting to bring them into the 21st century (and will probably increase retention) so I suspect regardless of position they won't make too many staff changes.

I agree. He has a good staff right now. I think his best play is to hold and continue this direction. With two New York Philharmonic performances coming over the next two summers, he will pick up some excellent talent in the off-season. I believe this to be true when you also consider how they have surprised many this summer with a really good show. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Ediker said:

While I'm not certain, I suspect Boston has the edge with regard to average MM age being higher (and member retention being much higher).

No. Both Corps are comparatively of the same age. Boston is perhaps a bit older perhaps in Guard ( not even entirely sure on that ), but it is untrue that Boston's " average MM age higher, and member retention being much higher" than the Cadets..Boston had a huge number of brass turnover from last season ( Cadets too ), and this season's Boston's brass line is chock full of new brass marchers to Boston. Boston is not only planning for this season but for future seasons. As such, who secured spots in line was based on not only on this season as a factor, but with considerations given to the chances of  of the staff having the opportunity to work with those selected for future seasons if the end of this season's retention situation presented itself. As such, Boston's overall Corps make up this season is not filled with a lot of age outs. They are the usual number that Corps in the Top 7, Top 8 might have in any given season. I believe Crown, SCV, Bluecoats,Cavs, BD might have higher average age than both Boston and Cadets this season however. But that aspect is just my guess, no more, no less.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I've heard they have something not so subtle waiting to be added... they're currently hiding behind those stained glass panels at the back of the field 

my worry is the kitchen sink is coming 

For starters, as was evident during the Massillon show, the panels are two-sided. On the reverse is something brighter--a cross and a dove, I think.

Just now, DrumManTx said:

I knew you would think my opinion was special. Love that clip of SNL. Always one of my favs. 

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

If the tag ending of this show is strong I still feel the Cadets could get hot and be on the Cavaliers heals for that 5 spot.  The top 4 will be tough to deal with considering their performance excellence in all captions.  

I'm curious, and I'm not suggesting that you have answer to this-- perhaps someone else does-- is this infamous new ending they're adding simply a "tag" addition to what they already have? Or is it new drill and maybe even adjusted musical arrangements to the existing material AND a tag?

Whatever it is, the intent better be clear and the performance quality readable (if not reasonably clean) when they finally put it out there. They already have their work cut out for them on making tweaks to other parts of the program. If this new ending debuts and it isn't a clear and obvious and significant upgrade (like game-changing stuff that alters how the judging community views this program), they won't have time for another major rewrite. 

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

if you find the show disquieting, then it is successful.

I don't mean that in a personal putdown of you but that it is reflective of the consternation, struggle, and confusion Bernstein represented from his own feelings about religion and authority. Making one squirm is not always a bad thing. Often it leads to growth. You might enjoy reading a biography of Bernstein; there are several good ones out there.

Having now listened to Bernstein's "Mass", I don't feel Cadets have (thus far) captured its spirit, for better or worse. But we'll see how it continues to develop.