DCI Northern Kentucky - Alexandria, KY - July 15

20 minutes ago, craiga said:

Yes, apparently the Boston Crusaders have as much artistic license as...say..the Cadets...who wear robes which bear no resemblance whatsoever to the vestments worn by  members of the Catholic Church.  Let us pray.

Wrong.

The outfit for the opener is based on bishops's choir cassocks. I repost the link here from a notable New England supplier who makes the cassocks in Bangor, Me. My friend Bishop Bob Deeley will back me up if you ask him. The same I am sure with Fr. TimK,  http://www.almy.com/Category/CatholicBishop

The vocal ensemble's choir robes are the real deal as worn in many Catholic parishes.

Edited by xandandl

As a life long Catholic, I have never seen anyone wearing anything resembling those robes, particularly with the strange designs on the front.  So, not wrong.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, craiga said:

Yes, apparently the Boston Crusaders have as much artistic license as...say..the Cadets...who wear robes which bear no resemblance whatsoever to the vestments worn by  members of the Catholic Church.  Let us pray.

I can understand this argument - as well as BRASSO's comments earlier.      For the most part, the burning in BAC's show doesn't really bother me.  The burning is a myth about the SALEM witch trials - not factually correct.   BAC would probably state that the show is more loosely based on the trials - not a literal telling of the story.    However, in BAC's show they call out names of the women (there were some men according to records), and by doing so, the show takes a literal intrepretation at that point.     So, my bone of contention (if I had one) would be that that by taking both a literal view as well as having "artistic llicense", you confuse the presentation unfortunately.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I can understand this argument - as well as BRASSO's comments earlier.      For the most part, the burning in BAC's show doesn't really bother me.  The burning is a myth about the SALEM witch trials - not factually correct.   BAC would probably state that the show is more loosely based on the trials - not a literal telling of the story.    However, in BAC's show they call out names of the women (there were some men according to records), and by doing so, the show takes a literal intrepretation at that point.     So, my bone of contention (if I had one) would be that that by taking both a literal view as well as having "artistic llicense", you confuse the presentation unfortunately.   

OKAY..I get it...you are confused.

Now She Must Burn!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Liahona said:

OKAY..I get it...you are confused.

Now She Must Burn!

Don't get me wrong. I am not confused.  I am a huge fan of this show - especially after seeing it again in KY.  It could turn out to my favorite this year.   I'm only conmmenting on the design detail that some others have already discussed.   

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

Spar ta cus!!(and followers were crucified; not javelined or slashed....still a great show) Witches were burned in Europe and Salem's lot were just a generation removed. It's an eleven minute drum corps show..Corps can and will interpret their designs in any witch way they want. Where's Tituba?

• Like 3

In 1975, Madison opened with "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue," but a little-known fact is that the majority of slaughter-related deaths actually happened in the intersection between 8th avenue and State street.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, craiga said:

As a life long Catholic, I have never seen anyone wearing anything resembling those robes, particularly with the strange designs on the front.  So, not wrong.

And as someone with a Doctorate in Catholic theology and 30 plus years of ministry, I say your answer is short sighted in your outlook and limited in your experience. Ask TimK and Bishop Deeley.

You might also view the decorations of the Roman catacombs from whence this particular decoration of the cross was first found before it became popular with the surfing crowd.

Edited by xandandl