How is Vocals/Singing Judged?

12 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

So, if by what you write is correct, the one element missing from voice adjudication is performance evaluation

I don't think it needs to be added.  Regardless of how prominent something else may be in a given show, the primary musical sections are brass and percussion.  Anything else is just part of the general effect and music analysis captions, imo.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ediker said:

I don't think it needs to be added.  Regardless of how prominent something else may be in a given show, the primary musical sections are brass and percussion.  Anything else is just part of the general effect and music analysis captions, imo.  

I agree with you

• Like 1

...and a part of me at times also thinks some parts of shows are just not judged... an example would be the Blue Devils a few years ago (2014??) and the guard being on the stage playing the tambourines.  I recall a percussion judge tape where he laughed and said he would let "upstairs" judge that part, but I doubt it impacted the score either way. 

5 hours ago, ouooga said:

Percussion judge judges percussion. Brass judge judges brass. Vocal judge judges vocals. Seems pretty simple.

....wait.

They only bring it n Simon Cowell for finals

3 hours ago, monarch said:

Obviously inability to consistently find pitch center by a feature vocalist is not on the sheets. 

It'd fall under many places but the judges evaluate the whole show not just one kid

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ediker said:

3) A general effect judge is like a stranger in a singles bar who is evaluating your look, style, and manner of interacting.  They are concerned with whether you can hold their attention for at least 11 minutes. 

If that is the case, in 2009 Boston should have maxed out GE with perfect scores!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, monarch said:

Obviously inability to consistently find pitch center by a feature vocalist is not on the sheets. 

7 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

And that kind of comment was called for because? You can attack me all you want, that's great, but please stop attacking the performers, or do you enjoy being a moron?

7 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Thank you, thank you for calling DCP'ers on making these kinds of personal attacks.  Having taught junior high and high school kids, I know how fragile their self esteem is. Don't forget the median age of the performers, these kids - KIDS!!!

To me the post here by Monarch was not anywhere close to being a personal attack, it did not attack the person's character one iota, it was a comment on vocal 'performance' (or lack thereof) and nothing more. This is DCI, World Class, Major League… where the best of the best Young Adults, not weak kneed kids, from around the world are put to the test and snowflakes are exposed to heat lamps. So, bring out the heat lamps and let's see if BD or SCV will take the ring in 2017.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Simon gets a bad rap.  Not many know that on his own he completely 100% financed the first album and tour for Susan Boyle.

Didn't know he helped Susan B. after her Britain's Got Talent performances.  As far as new talent he created, for me it has to be Il Divo.  

11 hours ago, Ediker said:

I hope you are right about this.  Though it is disturbing when the relative quality of electronically amplified sounds seems to have no impact on results, at the same time it is encouraging to think that brass and percussion hold an indispensable place in the activity.

Can anyone involved in the DCI judging process confirm this?

• Like 1