Electronic Amplification

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

This is SCV which means that the caliber of horn players will always be extremely high. So, when electronic amplification and dubbing is involved no matter if they sound great or poor, no matter if they sound normal or odd and strange, the 'heavy lifting' within that amplification is done by the adult sound engineer manipulating the sound system.

I'm with you here, Stu!

Unless this electronic component has it's "wings clipped," we ALL know how far it's going to fly, and that ain't good.

• Like 2

Clearly, there is a place for amplification and it is obvious that programs are enhanced by selective use of it,  for example soloists. However, and it is a big however, miking selected members of the marching unit is wrong and against the spirit of the activity and allowed use of the technology. So, if as quoted, there are corps, that have miked a number of their marching hornline to be played most or all of the time, IMO this is cheating. (I hope for one that the reports that SCV are doing this is incorrect, I would be so disappointed in them)

in any event, DCI has to put some controls in place for 2018 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mead09 said:

Clearly, there is a place for amplification and it is obvious that programs are enhanced by selective use of it,  for example soloists. However, and it is a big however, miking selected members of the marching unit is wrong and against the spirit of the activity and allowed use of the technology. So, if as quoted, there are corps, that have miked a number of their marching hornline to be played most or all of the time, IMO this is cheating. (I hope for one that the reports that SCV are doing this is incorrect, I would be so disappointed in them)

in any event, DCI has to put some controls in place for 2018 

At a rock concert!

Why would a brass instrument need to be amplfied on a football field?  Unless they are draining their spit valve, all brass instruments are very audible when played, especially by a drum corps member.  

There is no justifiable reason to amplify a horn line or any percussion.  If so, the playing member(s) and their instructional staff forgot what their primary stage is.

Amplification distorts sound, and there is no way sound mixing is effective with the sound board so close to the ensemble.   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stu said:

If you listen close to the Hopkins interview posted in another thread he States emphatically that some corps are now 'recording' their horns and playing those recordings back during the actual show. So your Memorex quip is more true than you think.

Perhaps inspired by the legend of a certain full-French Horn Section (in black) a year-or-so ago that was said to utilize a digital recording of a professional symphony's performance . . . THAT was okay?

18 minutes ago, Land_Surfer said:

There is no justifiable reason to amplify a horn line or any percussion.  If so, the playing member(s) and their instructional staff forgot what their primary stage is.

Amplification distorts sound, and there is no way sound mixing is effective with the sound board so close to the ensemble.   

This begs a slightly different question: might there be brass instructors (as opposed to designers or "creative staff") that are actually annoyed or even offended by the distorted, processed sounds that result after they labor so diligently to create pure, characteristic ones by their players?  Actually, I already know the answer to this, but you won't hear any of that in public during the season.  There has been more push-back between teachers and designers about some innovations in the past few seasons than you might think. 

Edited by Schnitzel
typo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

Perhaps inspired by the legend of a certain full-French Horn Section (in black) a year-or-so ago that was said to utilize a digital recording of a professional symphony's performance . . . THAT was okay?

To me everything in a DCI show should be performed live, no triggering of sound loops or sequences that can be used as a metronome timing device, no recordings or dubbing of any kind, and all sound either produced or manipulated in any way should be controlled just by the youth member performers.

• Like 6

On 08/06/2017 at 8:42 PM, TwoValves said:

Please cite ONE example ...

Wanted to bump this because TwoValves has yet to address the Mimic Pitch Bend and Recorded Dubbings that have and are actually going on in DCI performances. Awaiting a rebuttal post oh Two-fer.

when i see drum corps show,it'd be nice if the sounds came from the proper side of the field...recently at a live show, the horns on my left were coming through the right side speakers..very confusing and misleading!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Wanted to bump this because TwoValves has yet to address the Mimic Pitch Bend and Recorded Dubbings that have and are actually going on in DCI performances. Awaiting a rebuttal post oh Two-fer.

The amplified anomaly you speak of resembles a phasing issue, the sign of an unpolished horn line and it use to lower the score.

10 hours ago, Stu said:

yeah ya know cause everyone hangs out on DCP all day waiting to reply to you

:bored:

• Like 1