Electronic Amplification

4 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

Never has there been a time where a drum corps needed to be amplified on the field!  A well designed and developed corps can fill any stadium with sound.  There is nothing worse than to hear only a few horns amped over the rest of the line as they pass by a mic vs. the entire line playing in unison, and in tune!  Amplification makes it hard to judge by both audience and judges, and there is no practical way of mixing sound and do it right when the mixing board is front and center behind the podium.  It's counter to all sound mixing logic!!!  No corps has the resources to purchase and maintain the technology (and employ the staff to operate it) to ensure that the amplified sound is the same quality as pure acoustic brass and percussion.  

Amplification and electronic instruments to a drum corps is becoming like steroids to professional sports!!!  That said, it wouldn't surprise me if auto-pitch correction technology isn't eventually adopted so that corps don't have to be so picky about the quality of performers they need.

Amplification and electronic instruments also widens the gap between corps based on "haves and have nots" vs. the capabilities of the members.  There is no way I would pay today's premium dues to play second chair to a keyboard or amped vocalist!  It is not educational and, and should be considered an insult to hardworking musicians. 

Not long ago, the difference between a good show and great show was proportional to the amount of hard work and training put forth by members and staff.  Today, it hinges on a mixing board and power supply.  Technical difficulties use to be minor issues - today they can make or break a show. 

You know, THIS is some solid logic! Well done, Land_Surfer!

• Like 1

Never has there been a time where a drum corps needed to be amplified on the field!  A well designed and developed corps can fill any stadium with sound.  There is nothing worse than to hear only a few horns amped over the rest of the line as they pass by a mic vs. the entire line playing in unison, and in tune!  Amplification makes it hard to judge by both audience and judges, and there is no practical way of mixing sound and do it right when the mixing board is front and center behind the podium.  It's counter to all sound mixing logic!!!  No corps has the resources to purchase and maintain the technology (and employ the staff to operate it) to ensure that the amplified sound is the same quality as pure acoustic brass and percussion.  

Amplification and electronic instruments to a drum corps is becoming like steroids to professional sports!!!  That said, it wouldn't surprise me if auto-pitch correction technology isn't eventually adopted so that corps don't have to be so picky about the quality of performers they need.

Amplification and electronic instruments also widens the gap between corps based on "haves and have nots" vs. the capabilities of the members.  There is no way I would pay today's premium dues to play second chair to a keyboard or amped vocalist!  It is not educational and, and should be considered an insult to hardworking musicians. 

Not long ago, the difference between a good show and great show was proportional to the amount of hard work and training put forth by members and staff.  Today, it hinges on a mixing board and power supply.  Technical difficulties use to be minor issues - today they can make or break a show. 

You're just not hip with the times dinosaur. It's obvious to me that you don't understand the use of electronics on the field and maybe its just too esoteric for you. :lle:

*sniffs own farts*

• Like 1

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if auto-pitch correction technology isn't eventually adopted so that corps don't have to be so picky about the quality of performers they need.

Not only that but they wouldn't have to work as hard as an ensemble to achieve that sonorous, blended sound.  There have to be limits b/c if the technology is there, it WILL be used eventually - unless it can't be.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

Agree 98%.

• Like 1

It's about the sound, man.  Not the sound man.

• Like 5

We slid further down the slippery slope tonight. More corps have added amplification for their hornlines. 

It has gotten to the point where I'm just not enjoying the activity as much anymore, and the corps I do enjoy have mostly been those outside of the top 12 this season. Without a rule change, I probably won't watch again next year, which really kills me. 

• Like 2

One of my favorite performances this year was by the Marine Corps. It was clean, precise marching and maintained focus on the music without sound effects and electronic interference and distraction. 

After Bluecoats last year, I was concerned DCI would start to lose its identity into a WGI vibe.

Others have expressed the opinion there is a certain quality of cheating to using electronics that embellish sounds that can and should be made by instruments.

It all seems to be a bit much, to some degree. 

Edited by Bama Belle
Word choice
  • Like 3

This season has me wondering if there will be a bunch of fans protesting outside of Lucas Oil Stadium at Finals shouting "Down with shotgun mics!" "No more bass synth!" "Bring back G bugles!" and the like. LOL.

But seriously, I hope sound technicians, designers, directors, staff, and even members alike understand that this activity may have pushed the envelope a little too far this season. Like I've said in the past, experimentation in drum corps is cool, but when a common element is so controversial that it jeopardizes the fan's and/or member's experience, that's where I draw the line.

I'm willing to bet that this offseason we will see some significant, conservative changes to the rulebook with regards to electronics and amplification. We may also see some changes to the adjudication system that address these elements.

In the meantime, let's appreciate the remainder of the 2017 Drum Corps International season.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I'm willing to bet that this offseason we will see some significant, conservative changes to the rulebook with regards to electronics and amplification.

Let's see... DCI is the member corps; the Directors of the member corps are in charge of the rules Congress; these Directors not only voted in the use of electronics and amps but they have spent huge amounts of capital acquiring the equipment and devoted a plethora of manpower time to implement their use. So, yep you are probably right in that they will likely have the desire to significantly overhaul and revamp the rules in order to eliminate most all of that investment.