Electronic Amplification

On 8/1/2017 at 1:32 PM, Newseditor44 said:

Just an observation from NightBeat - but it was obvious to me that certain corps were using electronics to amplify their sound above and beyond what its been used for the past few years. In a couple of cases, there were at least two corps that used it to over-amplify the volume of the brass when the hornline was facing the front sidelines (not referring to the Bluecoats moment when they face backstage). In contrast, there were several corps that used almost no amplification and sounded weaker than the rest of the field. At what point do we need to begin limiting the amount of amplification and how its used. I believe it does give the units that choose to use it a competitive advantage, which in my opinion goes against the spirit of the activity. Are there certain instances where its cool, sure. But I'm all for leveling the playing field and want to make sure we're not inadvertently giving certain corps an advantage because they have the means to do this. 

Thoughts?

well I feel like a dumb dumb but does everyone else realize SCV is miking 12 players the entire show and pumping them out the speaker...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

well I feel like a dumb dumb but does everyone else realize SCV is miking 12 players the entire show and pumping them out the speaker...

Thanks, GD.  Next, I suppose, you're going to tell me there's no Santa or Easter Bunny.  Geesh!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Thanks, GD.  Next, I suppose, you're going to tell me there's no Santa or Easter Bunny.  Geesh!

I know it's crazy - I just heard that yesterday. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

This season has me wondering if there will be a bunch of fans protesting outside of Lucas Oil Stadium at Finals shouting "Down with shotgun mics!" "No more bass synth!" "Bring back G bugles!" and the like. LOL.

But seriously, I hope sound technicians, designers, directors, staff, and even members alike understand that this activity may have pushed the envelope a little too far this season. Like I've said in the past, experimentation in drum corps is cool, but when a common element is so controversial that it jeopardizes the fan's and/or member's experience, that's where I draw the line.

I'm willing to bet that this offseason we will see some significant, conservative changes to the rulebook with regards to electronics and amplification. We may also see some changes to the adjudication system that address these elements.

In the meantime, let's appreciate the remainder of the 2017 Drum Corps International season.

If fans want to protest, maybe the next DCI Rules Conference would be the ideal venue.

• Like 1

Based on Vanguard's success this season I expect More micing of individual brass the entire show next year, not less. That's how it goes in this lemming activity. I also suspect you've seen your last traditional uniforms in the top twelve this year.  I'm gonna miss the head bobbing shakos 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

does everyone else realize SCV is miking 12 players the entire show and pumping them out the speaker...

If I counted right, they are marching 64 brass.  That might have something to do with it.  If they are using 64, they may have extra mm in the guard to help move the props allowing the guard to still add to the drill visual.

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

If fans want to protest, maybe the next DCI Rules Conference would be the ideal venue.

I think this is a great idea however someone needs to be a point person....who ? And the point person needs access to the conference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Based on Vanguard's success this season I expect More micing of individual brass the entire show next year, not less. That's how it goes in this lemming activity. I also suspect you've seen your last traditional uniforms in the top twelve this year.  I'm gonna miss the head bobbing shakos 

maybe... but BD is just micing the whole hornline and so far, they've stayed ahead of Vanguard...