BRING BACK BUGLES!!!

4 minutes ago, GlassmenBtone said:

Wow, that is very progressive

By the way, as for a fear of DCI appealing to the lowest part of progressive modern pop art I agree with you. The thing is I would love to see a corps like BD or Bluecoats today do a qualitative show based on an extremely qualitative group like 'Here Come The Mummies' with, wait for it, any horns they desire even Bb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Ok.  We get it.  You don't like drum corps now.

Its not that I don't like it, I'm just airing out some minor grievances I have with the direction drum corps has taken recently. It's not like I'll ever stop being a fan 

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I'm 59.  I marched at the first DCI.  

And I appreciate you marching when you did, but by the time I got to march drum corps was completely different from the drill we marched to the instruments we played

2 hours ago, Just Here said:

As ANY respected brass instructor will tell you, it is better to be in tune and have good tone quality than it is to simply be loud for its own sake. Go ahead and ask them: Which would you rather have, a horn line that is loud with low brass instruments that sound like air plane engines with a rassspppy sound or one that is a LITTLE softer that plays in tune and has fantastic tone quality?

I marched in a Jim Ott Award-winning hornline during the G era...I can say for certain TQ&I was hammered into us daily by some of the top names in the activity that are still active today; it was not a foreign concept. I know, whodathunkit? :sigh:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Just Here said:

As ANY respected brass instructor will tell you, it is better to be in tune and have good tone quality than it is to simply be loud for its own sake. Go ahead and ask them: Which would you rather have, a horn line that is loud with low brass instruments that sound like air plane engines with a rassspppy sound or one that is a LITTLE softer that plays in tune and has fantastic tone quality?

Excerpt of quotes from Professional Brass Recording Artist, Joe Murphy:

“Yes, music has to be controlled and in tune.  But young people also need to know, first hand, how much energy it takes to create exciting powerful music and play it Loud. So many school band directors today hold their students back by making them play their loudest somewhere near mezzo-forte. Why? Because it is difficult, not impossible, but difficult to stay in tune at f-ff and louder. Brass and Band music has now lost its power…. its passion … its emotion … its ability to move another human being.  Aaaahhhh, but some of you band directors are now saying, 'I like that dark orchestral symphonic sound.' Hmmm … really? Have you listened to any Chicago Symphony Orchestra recordings in the past twenty years? CSO plays loud!!!!

Brass Teachers and Band Directors – This is your wake up call! Play great recordings of Loud Brass in your band rooms. Your students need to listen to, and know, who Maynard Ferguson was, Bill Chase, Doc Severinsen, Frank Rosolino, Carl Fontana, Bill Watrous, Stan Getz, Don Menza, etc… These few examples motivated thousands of musicians during their amazing careers to play Loud and in tune.  Teach your brass students to move that air; it lets you know that you are still alive!!".

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

By the way, as for a fear of DCI appealing to the lowest part of progressive modern pop art I agree with you. The thing is I would love to see a corps like BD or Bluecoats today do a qualitative show based on an extremely qualitative group like 'Here Come The Mummies' with, wait for it, any horns they desire even Bb.

Two words: cowbell feature