2017 World Championships Prelims - Aug 10

Just now, Jake W. said:

And, as much as I loved Louisiana Stars' performance just now, Genesis need not worry about their secure Semis status. They are on an entirely different plane, barring any massive penalties. 

The Crossmen would like you to refrain from mentioning penalties and tech glitches for the duration of these three days. Thank you!

• Like 2

A touch of nerves as Louisiana Stars started, but once the found their stride, they were on fire. Managed a difficult show well. 

1 minute ago, DCIat14 said:

...anyone recognize the globe?  Errr, mmmm, Cascades prop from a few years back :D

Yeah. I mentioned that Monday and Tuesday. Even looked up The Intergalactic video to confirm. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

I'm liking Company's show. Thanks for coming over from England. Very nice selection of music. Love the uniforms. Those props in the back now (the aqua blue platforms) are neat because they can stand on them or set them in a form while adding color to the show. Definitely an older corps. More of an all-age group and certainly not a typical age bracket you would see coupled with these Open Class corps.  Not sure how all that is getting judged, but I appreciate their show. Nice to see them. 

Judges on the same sheets, just like Open Class--that's why today they go on based on their score at O.C. championships--but they can't bump any DCI corps from moving to the next round. (No danger of that today.) Thus they got judged at O.C. Finals--but so did twelve O.C. corps.

Jubal, who has performed in DCI two or three times before, is also an all-age corps who competes against The Company in Drum Corps Europe.

So is Kidsgrove Scouts, who will be making their fourth U.S. appearance in DCA on Labor Day weekend. (I remind folks that DCA is being streamed by Flo this year.) Kidsgrove and Company are typically neck-and-neck in DCUK and DCE.

One thing that cool about having both corps here and competing in the two different circuits in the same season is that it gives us a little hint as to how DCI and DCA scores compare. The Company got 72 on Tuesday. Over the course of four weeks, a DCI corps often sees its score grow by 15-20 points. Even if we suppose that an all-age corps can do only half as well (on DCI sheets), that still puts The Company at about 80 points on Labor Day. Which, if Kidsgrove is scoring comparably, means the top DCA corps at their championships are scoring in the high 80s on DCI's sheets. It's interesting speculation, at least.

Skimming through a few of these posts definitely has me wishing I could have taken today off work to watch the Prelims stream! But I did have the consolation of attending O.C. Finals, so I guess I shouldn't grumble. Bought a shirt from The Company on Tuesday too.

• Like 1

Those sleeves really show up nice under the lights.  I had to break out the binocs to see if they were LEDs.

The alternating colors at the opening line is great from high. 

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

So is Kidsgrove Scouts, who will be making their fourth U.S. appearance in DCA on Labor Day weekend. (I remind folks that DCA is being streamed by Flo this year.) Kidsgrove and Company are typically neck-and-neck in DCUK and DCE.

Reminder noted and appreciated!!