A Reprieve on A&E (Maybe?)

11 minutes ago, Just Here said:

I don't know what you mean by "academic." Music industry studies are academic. Most universities require even students in these field be proficient in a music instrument. So, be exposed to music industry skills doesn't bother me. But, music education is not really a part of the activity as a whole.

I think that you and I are actually in agreement, but coming at this from two different angles.  My angle is to counter those who think DCI is for the extended academic education of music or visual art 'students', or to take kids off the street, place a horn to their face, and learn to blow the horn.  And all I am maintaining is that while there is an educational side to DCI, it is in teaching the commercial and professional performance and touring aspects not in teaching the academic aspects of learn to play and march then perform at the school events for your parents.  DCI is a multi-million dollar youth performance and touring 'entertainment business', not an academic institution; and I think you and I both agree on that.

26 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I’m cool with the kids being exploited for my entertainment while shilling product lines for music companies. The non-profit educational thing is the prefect work-around to avoid child labor laws and make the kids pay to be pimped

Of course your posting here is dripping with sarcasm; but do you realize that DCI has actually been that way since its inception in 1972?

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

DCI is a multi-million dollar youth performance and touring 'entertainment business', not an academic institution; and I think you and I both agree on that.

Agreed with this. I would go so far as to challenge the "educational" hook in most drum corps today. The experience seems too limiting to call it educational.

Edited by Just Here

15 minutes ago, Just Here said:

Agreed with this. I would go so far as to challenge the "educational" hook in most drum corps today. The experience seems too limiting to call it educational.

A young trumpet player who gets picked up by Bruno Mars directly out of a University Ensemble shall receive a quick education on the rigors of professional touring not taught at the university.  A trumpet player who gets picked up by Bruno Mars who just got off the road with BD has already received that education on the rigors of professional touring.  See where I am coming from now as it applies to the ‘type’ of education DCI teaches youth performers?

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

A young trumpet player who gets picked up by Bruno Mars directly out of a University Ensemble shall receive a quick education on the rigors of professional touring not taught at the university.  A trumpet player who gets picked up by Bruno Mars who just got off the road with BD has already received that education on the rigors of professional touring.  See where I am coming from now as it applies to the ‘type’ of education DCI teaches youth performers?

Yeah. I see the metaphor, but I will say that such happenings are EXTREMELY rare and so I'm not sure if it constitutes an "education for all" type of mentality. But, yes I accept your main point here. The "type" of education is very limited. I would call it "experience."

There are lots of non-profit performing arts organizations where the performers are not paid.

3 minutes ago, Just Here said:

Yeah. I see the metaphor, but I will say that such happenings are EXTREMELY rare and so I'm not sure if it constitutes an "education for all" type of mentality. But, yes I accept your main point here. The "type" of education is very limited. I would call it "experience."

Experience, education, ok. But the aspects of tenacity, endurance, stamina, courage, fortitude, etc.. are aspects learned through the rigors of DCI that can be applied to any career choice. And those who gain that experience and education via DCI have an advantage in all forms of competing in the corporate environment.

Just now, Stu said:

Experience, education, ok. But the aspects of tenacity, endurance, stamina, courage, fortitude, etc.. are aspects learned through the rigors of DCI that can be applied to any career choice. And those who gain that experience and education via DCI have an advantage in all forms of competing in the corporate environment.

I get you. I think you can gain this type of education through less monetarily expensive means. :12_slight_smile:

5 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Honestly, this is a great discussion between Hop and Tim and I think we all need to be prepared for some heated discussions going into this years rules congress. The question is, how much do we roll this back. And, do we limit props as well. 

I think that someone should bring along SCV's Oroboros props to the next Rules Congress, put all the directors in them and roll 'em around at high speed for a few hundred yards, stop them, then immediately ask what they think of the idea of props as they're keeled over, throwing up. 

• Like 2