Carolina Crown 2018

29 minutes ago, KakkoiiOtaku said:

It's perfectly okay to get excited. But, cautiously.  I was excited about the boost in scores as well, but we have to realize that this was not a full panel like it was at St Louis.  This was a smaller panel.  When panels are smaller, scores tend to jump.  So, while I am excited that Crown scored higher, I realize that cautious optimism is best.  If Bluecoats had been at the same show and Crown scored within .05 of them, that would be a different story.  Let's just practice cautious optimism and trust the Corps.  They know what they're doing. :)

It was a full panel.  The panels at Regionals are bigger but only because some captions are doubled and averaged.  Perhaps that makes scores a little less volatile in the doubled captions but every bit as volatile in the rest.  

In any case I don't think anyone here over-reacted to the score.  It was "nice bump" not "OMG we're practically tied with XYZ".  

Everyone here is just chillin' , waitin' on the Beast to throw down as we all know it gonna do!

Edited by karuna
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

From my perspective the 2nd MVT (before the ballad) is easily the most difficult and intricate musical arrangement of the year (and my favorite part of the show). There is a lot happening and a lot of very interesting musical interactions with various sections being featured across brass and percussion. I think if you see it a couple ties it will grow on you but I understand on first view how it could overwhelm. Best writing I have heard in a while. Kudos to the design team.

It may be the hardest production Crown has ever fielded.  Super challenging chart that lasts 5 mins.  It's why i feel no need to panic over Crown not winning Brass at every show. It's hard, it's exposed, and it requires super endurance.  It will get there - it will just take more time than usual. ( Oh and hey Bluecoats brass is legit!  )

Oh and then hey she-beasts, y'all stand there right up front and play a beautiful ballad with every single microsecond even MORE exposed.  Oh and then hey trumpets and mellos,  y'all are on trombone for this part.  Sure.  

To paraphrase Mr. Albert Lo -- CrownBrass is continually redefining the brass caption in this activity.   So glad he's back judging this season.  He motivates the hammer to strike harder.  

• Like 2

Okay. Here with with eyes & ears wide open, but can't help but to have a bit of cautious optimism after the last few nights.

Most of us that frequent this thread are heavy imbibers of Crown Kool-Aid. So let's just enjoy our punch drunk for the moment, and keep the flame of hope alive for a strong finish as the Beast claws it's way to Indy  

:guinesssmilie:

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, BostonLUck said:

After watching last night's event, it just seems like this corps is suffering from a case of "great idea on paper, hard to pull off".  The ensemble is strong, from top to bottom, and especially that battery -- good gravy -- that battery! The "Beast" concept sounds cool, it brings a ton of imagery to mind of scary monsters, and of course a growwwwl to match. But AFTER that initial image, what's next? How do you evolve a scary beast and growl? I think that's where Crown is stuck at. Stuck.

I look forward to any additional changes they'll make to round out the design, but unfortunately what we have now is about what we're going to get... which worries me... does Cavaliers & Boston over take them? Both of those corps have designs that allow them room to grow - OR - does Crown's performance quality keep them in a top 4 position simply because of their talent?

I love Crown for the "risk" of this type of design, but I think something a bit more storyboarded would have proved a better choice... but there's a fine line between entertaining and just hokey.

I echo a lot of these sentiments.  Not quite sure where they're going with the concept.  If there's a story there, it's not clear.  If there's not a story there... it's not clear. 

Now to the good - yeah, yeah, drums finally caught up with the brass.  But Dat Brass - wow.  I love when they finally turn them loose on the audience during the opener; there's a real feel of "now *that's* what we've been waiting for!"  The ballad - just gorgeous.  The whole thing is just a great performance, every time they step on the field. 

My personal prediction is if they tie the visual together, they could pip someone to 3rd at the post.  If they can't, then... 4th.  Yeah, that's a pretty narrow window.  :)

Mike

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ashevillemurphy said:

Did they add the "Crown" set at the end of the ballad .... or has it always been there (I've not seen a high angle video before today)...

I think it's too early for that. Maybe around Allentown?

Nothing like a great show followed by two days of full rehearsal to get them primed for Thursday. Loved the improvement all last week. I am sure we will see more as the prep for SA!

• Like 1

While people are talking about caution, I agree, caution is your friend here. However, it's still exciting to see Crown jump a good chunk. And even still, the score difference isn't one of those "east coast-west coast" gaps, it's Kansas vs Arkansas. They're neighbors. Crown isn't performing at any shows for the next couple days, so we won't see any solid indications of how they're doing until Southwest Regionals! Can't wait to see how they do

• Like 2