Carolina Crown 2018

10 hours ago, karuna said:

Yes they do. Hopefully all members are back to full strength by Saturday.  They did a great job tonight toughing it out and performing. 

Agreed... the sounded great but in talking with them they are still struggling with the "bug." Doesn't help to have Bass 3 miss the show. Having to fill in the beats for the center bass  on the fly has got to be incredibly challenging. While I know a lot of people love the stadium in Chester I find the volume created by the overhang makes it difficult to really hear the nuance and intricacies of the performance. Hoping for a clearer read in Allentown. The Visual is definitely cleaning up. Let's hope for a great run at DCI East.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Agreed... the sounded great but in talking with them they are still struggling with the "bug." Doesn't help to have Bass 3 miss the show. Having to fill in the beats for the center bass  on the fly has got to be incredibly challenging. While I know a lot of people love the stadium in Chester I find the volume created by the overhang makes it difficult to really hear the nuance and intricacies of the performance. Hoping for a clearer read in Allentown. The Visual is definitely cleaning up. Let's hope for a great run at DCI East.

If it had been '17--and Bass 5--they'd had to call the run:whistle:

• Haha 1

Don’t get me wrong I love Crown and I think they really tried to make this show work (because the idea is cool), but something just didn’t workout with this production. 

The music design and visual design don’t fit the beast idea as much as they should and the members have to make up for it by working extra hard. Some of it is good don’t get me wrong, but it’s not 100%. There are even some drill sets where I think to myself “what even is this?”

One thing that is slightly puzzling to me is how Crown’s music content is so low. Some corps definitely play difficult music but it’s normally features in small groups while Crown plays some very technical passages as a full ensemble.

Just some things. We’ll see how clean they can get this show but I think the design team has learned a lot from this show. Like I said the concept works, it’s the design that seems to fall flat.

21 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

Don’t get me wrong I love Crown and I think they really tried to make this show work (because the idea is cool), but something just didn’t workout with this production. 

The music design and visual design don’t fit the beast idea as much as they should and the members have to make up for it by working extra hard. Some of it is good don’t get me wrong, but it’s not 100%. There are even some drill sets where I think to myself “what even is this?”

One thing that is slightly puzzling to me is how Crown’s music content is so low. Some corps definitely play difficult music but it’s normally features in small groups while Crown plays some very technical passages as a full ensemble.

Just some things. We’ll see how clean they can get this show but I think the design team has learned a lot from this show. Like I said the concept works, it’s the design that seems to fall flat.

Yeah I think a lot of people got that sort of vibe. The argument for whether it's just not flushed out yet or that it is a fatal flaw is still going on. Also really, most shows don't have drill that has to necessarily match the theme, sometimes more of filler or a transition to get to the stuff that DOES match the theme. I like the drill personally, but maybe that because it's easier to read when the props aren't moving around so much (lookin at you SCV and Bloo).

9 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

Next year crown should do a God’s and goddesses show. Like Marcus 2008

Thats the feel I’m getting from them rn.

No. 2002. Absolutely not.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

The second mvt. of the show is all about section features. The music contents (IMHO) is not low at all. As I have said before... Mvt. 2 is probably the most difficult production on the field based on the music, spacing, demand (both small ensemble and as a whole). While I understand your other points I would disagree that the music content is "low."

12 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

One thing that is slightly puzzling to me is how Crown’s music content is so low.

The music judges generally all have Crown in the top 3 in the content subcaptions (and for that matter, all the subcaptions) so not sure why you think it's low.

2 hours ago, wilme861 said:

The music judges generally all have Crown in the top 3 in the content subcaptions (and for that matter, all the subcaptions) so not sure why you think it's low.

I don’t think it’s “low.” If it we’re up to me they’d be first in music content! Across the board except for maybe percussion. 

I think the judges are scoring them then slightly lower and the difference between cont. vs achievement should actually be higher.